Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
snail wrote:
If Caster didn't appear as she does - she would not have been targeted (imo).

I do consider the ruling discriminatory and unfair.

Caster was singled out because she won-by a lot. As a woman, I consider the result to be welcome and fair to the vast majority of female athletes.

I should have been more explicit to say that she was singled out because of her more masculine appearance - as she was made to undergo gender/sex tests after her first world championship win in 2009. I recall that her fellow female competitors had complained about her appearance with the presumption that she’s a man.

For any other athlete that “won by a lot” I’m guessing the usual drug testing would happen. I don’t know if tests also check for T levels (I’m thinking yes, elevated from using performance enhancing drugs - not to check someone’s gender).

There are a few on here who claim she’s got testes. Can anyone verify if she’s actually had this very invasive test done? Surely I’d hate for total strangers to speculate or comment about my private body parts (so I really have a lot of sympathy for her).

If she has, it has not been made public. That won't stop people from slandering her by claiming that she does or referring to her as a male.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
snail wrote:

Caster was singled out because she won-by a lot. As a woman, I consider the result to be welcome and fair to the vast majority of female athletes.

I am sure Agee Wilson feels the same way. CS has likely cost her millions over the last few years. She is arguably the best US 800 runner ever and is finishing 2nd and 3rd consistently against those with XY chromosomes when she is XX. Forget testosterone if you were born XY you should not compete against women. Identify as anything you want but please don’t make the meaning of women’s sport about political correctness.

Ed Alyanak

Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [ealyanak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ealyanak wrote:
Forget testosterone if you were born XY you should not compete against women. Identify as anything you want but please don’t make the meaning of women’s sport about political correctness.

It's not about political correctness. It's about biology, and you're oversimplifying things by a large margin. Are you aware that there are a LOT of XY people out there who are 100% outwardly female?
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
snail wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
snail wrote:

I should have been more explicit to say that she was singled out because of her more masculine appearance - as she was made to undergo gender/sex tests after her first world championship win in 2009. I recall that her fellow female competitors had complained about her appearance with the presumption that she’s a man.

For any other athlete that “won by a lot” I’m guessing the usual drug testing would happen. I don’t know if tests also check for T levels (I’m thinking yes, elevated from using performance enhancing drugs - not to check someone’s gender).

There are a few on here who claim she’s got testes. Can anyone verify if she’s actually had this very invasive test done? Surely I’d hate for total strangers to speculate or comment about my private body parts (so I really have a lot of sympathy for her).

If she has, it has not been made public. That won't stop people from slandering her by claiming that she does or referring to her as a male.

From the numerous readings I have done on this she has had the testing done and they all state yes she does have testes. She has no ovaries and no womb. ie she has the male hormone producing anatomy but none of the female.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
snail wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
snail wrote:

From the numerous readings I have done on this she has had the testing done and they all state yes she does have testes. She has no ovaries and no womb. ie she has the male hormone producing anatomy but none of the female.

Can you link any of that please?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
It's not about political correctness. It's about biology, and you're oversimplifying things by a large margin. Are you aware that there are a LOT of XY people out there who are 100% outwardly female?

That's right. There are both XY types with complete female phenotype and female-grade testosterone production, and XX people with full masculine appearance and male genitalia.

The risk is here is tailoring something targeting Semenya and creating more problems than are solved (e.g. kicking a lot of women out of sports who are fully feminine phenotype, don't produce much testosterone, and don't dominate).
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

That's right. There are both XY types with complete female phenotype and female-grade testosterone production, and XX people with full masculine appearance and male genitalia.

The risk is here is tailoring something targeting Semenya and creating more problems than are solved (e.g. kicking a lot of women out of sports who are fully feminine phenotype, don't produce much testosterone, and don't dominate).

Except this wouldn't happen.
the CAS ruling.
Athletes with 46 XY DSD have testosterone levels well into the male range. The DSD Regulations require athletes with 46 XY DSD who have a natural testosterone level of above 5 nmol/L, and who experience a “material androgenizing effect” from that enhanced testosterone level, to reduce their natural testosterone level to within the normal female range (i.e. to a level below 5 nmol/L) and to maintain that reduced level for a continuous period of at least six months in order to be eligible to compete in a Restricted Event at an International Competition. There is no requirement for, or suggestion of, any surgical intervention to achieve this level.

Most females have testosterone levels ranging from 1.12 to 1.79 nmol/L while the normal adult male range begins around 7.7.

therefore 46 XY DSD athletes are still able to compete with testosterone levels considerably higher than other women.

Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:

Except this wouldn't happen. .

Right, I should clarify. I was responding to the suggestion of banning XY outright. I think the CAS has found a reasonable solution in focusing purely testosterone levels rather than genetics, organs, or general phenotype.

My only concern with it is incentivizing what seems to me like a somewhat barbaric practice of using hormone suppressors without medical purpose or without consideration of the well-being of the athlete. The athlete could refuse, and walk away. Or race as a man. But people will subject themselves to a lot for the likes of an Olympic medal. An outright ban based on testosterone levels might be the more ethical solution. But I'm generally "anti-drug" when it comes to using drugs for strictly performance-related reasons.

It's not a perfect solution. But I don't think there *is* a solution that makes everyone happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Except this wouldn't happen. .

Right, I should clarify. I was responding to the suggestion of banning XY outright. I think the CAS has found a reasonable solution in focusing purely testosterone levels rather than genetics, organs, or general phenotype.

My only concern with it is incentivizing what seems to me like a somewhat barbaric practice of using hormone suppressors without medical purpose or without consideration of the well-being of the athlete. The athlete could refuse, and walk away. Or race as a man. But people will subject themselves to a lot for the likes of an Olympic medal. An outright ban based on testosterone levels might be the more ethical solution. But I'm generally "anti-drug" when it comes to using drugs for strictly performance-related reasons.

It's not a perfect solution. But I don't think there *is* a solution that makes everyone happy.

If their natural T levels are above 5nmol anyway then they would be somewhere within the male range and therefore if chose to not lower and compete as male the disadvantage wouldn't be extreme, not as extreme as the disadvantage they have been giving to XX women up until now.
It is a really hard one for political correctness but I believe CAS have done the right thing for sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
ealyanak wrote:
Forget testosterone if you were born XY you should not compete against women. Identify as anything you want but please don’t make the meaning of women’s sport about political correctness.

"Outwardly female" ? As in they want to identify as female, but reject scientific findings that rule they are male?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this podcast of Lance's that sheds a lot of light on Caster's case. I did not know she was not close to being the fastest of all time, and most of the top times were pre 1987..Anyway seems like this guy was in the room, and he shows the travesty of the court that failed her..

https://www.facebook.com/...zA4OTIwMjc5MzcwMzQ2/
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
ealyanak wrote:

"Outwardly female" ? As in they want to identify as female, but reject scientific findings that rule they are male?

I missed this one originally. Outwardly as in phenotype. They have an XY chromosome but are 100% female otherwise. You are aware this exists, right? WTF are "scientific findings" anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an op-ed, not an article. As it clearly says. There's a big difference.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Article on the "myth" of testosterone [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for sharing this. I’m not a big fan of LA but Roger certainly explained the science and the failings of CAS and IAAF very well. The evidence was flawed and that gender isn’t black/white based on medical research (so yes, a person can have XY & 46 chromosomes and be a woman.) There are other athletes in similar scenarios who compete at a high level - it was interesting that he noted how there’s been so much focus on women from the “global south” (would the same reaction / treatment be the same for a white European or American)? Also that The fastest times as you said were before 1987 (when doping was widespread).
Last edited by: snail: May 22, 19 13:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next