Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Democratic Presidential Contenders: What's their Endgame?
Quote | Reply
Obviously it is winning the primary and then the big show to be the next President, but with 20+ runners in the race, how can a Hinkenlooper or Delaney or Swalwell possibly think they will make it to the end? Are these low visibility candidates just going to ride it out and let the front runners just implode or take each other out of the race? Has there been a time in our history where there were so many challengers? The Republican field was fairly deep in the last election, but at least the candidates had some name recognition outside of their home states.
Quote Reply
Re: Democratic Presidential Contenders: What's their Endgame? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some are just in it for the money. Some to get their message out and get more support for their views. Some are aiming for VP.
Quote Reply
Re: Democratic Presidential Contenders: What's their Endgame? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think some are just hoping they may be the one that catches on and offers a viable alternative to the incumbent.

There is lots of jockeying going on with in the party on where on the spectrum the candidate will fall. Most of the high profile people also have some pretty big baggage. I think a few are hoping if the party turns more moderate they are in the wings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For most it's feed their egos. For a few it's to get on the ticket as VP.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Money.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Democratic Presidential Contenders: What's their Endgame? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew most of these guys and gal for one reason or another. Maybe I'm closer to it since I'm a bit of a news junkie.

Jeb Bush. Ben Carson. Chris Christie. Ted Cruz. Carly Fiorina. Jim Gilmore. Lindsey Graham. Mike Huckabee. Bobby Jindal. John Kasich. George Pataki. Rand Paul. Rick Perry. Marco Rubio. Rick Santorum. Scott Walker

Gilmore is probably the only one I do not know of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Large primary fields have a history of producing unexpected winners. So the larger the field, the more it makes sense to give it a try, resulting in a larger field. If you are able to raise enough money to get good name recognition in Iowa and New Hampshire, which are both pretty cheap states, it makes lots of sense to roll the dice. Very little downside and can help you if you want to run again in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's the same reason 20 pros enter a triathlon when only 4 or 5 have a reasonable chance of winning. they feel they're relevant, it's the culmination of a career well spent, and this might be their season. i feel genuinely sorry for the cynics. it's like a bike race where everyone chases down the guy who takes a flier, but no one will take the flier himself.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Democratic Presidential Contenders: What's their Endgame? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Money.

If you are right, and you almost certainly are, then Beto will win the nomination.

Edit: I now see you were answering a different question.
Last edited by: ajthomas: May 2, 19 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Democratic Presidential Contenders: What's their Endgame? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
For most it's feed their egos. For a few it's to get on the ticket as VP.

Harris might make a good AG.
Or she could make an awful AG and we end up with stop and frisk nationwide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply