Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George
Quote | Reply
Love it and love the idea of rotating a 140.6/70.3 each year...they should do more of that
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder which cities they will rotate it with. If they keep it in the same time of the year, I am guessing St. George, The Woodlands, and maybe Santa Rosa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The The 2020 and 2023 IRONMAN St. George events will also be designated as North American Championships.

Interesting!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': May 2, 19 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yessssss!!!!!! The full is back! Count me in. This is the best news out of Ironman in a long time. Love it!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if more than 1 of the 4 potential cities for a new Ironman will be in the mix for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was thinking similar BUT ...
-Woodlands under contract thru 2020 (?)
-Santa Rosa under contract thru 2021
... so not sure how that would work, and contracts are never in concrete ;-)

Regardless, ST George is the North American Championship in 2020 so Texas will not have the title

They also referenced that the locations will have 70.3 races in the other years for athletes to experience racing in those venues between Ironmans

With the new race venue about to get announced (those 4 venues will have small windows available on the calendar because of weather) there
will definitely be a shake up in the calendar.

Interesting

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: May 2, 19 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St G as 70.3 WCs....meh

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
St G as 70.3 WCs....meh

At least there wont be as much drafting. Some of you yanks might struggle

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
St G as 70.3 WCs....meh

Why "meh"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see a date for the 70.3 WC. Safe to assume it will be in September like most recent editions of the 70.3WC? The May slot in the schedule wouldn't make much sense for the qualifying cycle so I'm wondering if it would be shifted to later in the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why meh?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you ever happy with anything?

Kidding aside, why the "meh"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming an early Sept. date, does anyone recall when during the 2020 70.3 race season events begin to qualify for this? Is it July?

Just saw NZ is 11/28! So that might push the qualifying start date into Sept.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 25, 19 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Assuming an early Sept. date, does anyone recall when during the 2020 70.3 race season events begin to qualify for this? Is it July?

Just saw NZ is 11/28! So that might push the qualifying start date into Sept.

Bryan - think it’s some time in July - about two months or so out from the race. I’m signed up for an Aug race that is a qualifying race for St George.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the Ironman website, because I was curious myself, it appears Muncie 70.3 (July 11, 2020) is the first US race that will qualify for St. George WC 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what that climb is like in the full? Is there a strava segment for it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there will be some North American 70.3s with big 70.3 WC slot counts. I remember that going into Chattanooga in 2017, there was some races with 60 or so slots. WTC likes to tactfully offer that to bolster languishing races.

I noticed LP 70.3 has 40. Maine, which is a more popular race, doesn’t have a count posted, which makes me think it will be the minimum of 30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want a slot.

I’m training to get one at Augusta 70.3 in September 2020. I already booked my hotel room.

I got a 4:48 this year at Augusta and it rolled down to a 4:39 in M35-39.

My plan is to hit 4:20-4:30 next year. However, there is another guy in my age group that lives in my city that got a 4:11 there last year, so really I want to crank out times faster than him at some point.

My goal for the slot is a 28 + 3 + 2:20 + 3 + 1:31 = 4:25. Hopefully that will be enough. I think I’m almost there right now. I just need to run train a bit more as I haven’t done that much running this year.

I’m a bit unsure what my plan would be for Utah if I get the slot. I guess AG podium is all I could really aim for and in M35-39, is probably pretty tough. I’m way more down for driving to Utah than flying to New Zealand though. It stresses me out thinking of flying with my bike.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I want a slot.

I’m training to get one at Augusta 70.3 in September 2020. I already booked my hotel room.

I got a 4:48 this year at Augusta and it rolled down to a 4:39 in M35-39.

My plan is to hit 4:20-4:30 next year. However, there is another guy in my age group that lives in my city that got a 4:11 there last year, so really I want to crank out times faster than him at some point.

My goal for the slot is a 28 + 3 + 2:20 + 3 + 1:31 = 4:25. Hopefully that will be enough. I think I’m almost there right now. I just need to run train a bit more as I haven’t done that much running this year.

I’m a bit unsure what my plan would be for Utah if I get the slot. I guess AG podium is all I could really aim for and in M35-39, is probably pretty tough. I’m way more down for driving to Utah than flying to New Zealand though. It stresses me out thinking of flying with my bike.

If you want a shot at the AG podium at 70.3 world's in 35-39 I think you need to be a 4:05 or faster kind of guy. I qualified for Nice with a 4:26 in Boulder that got me 3rd AG. If I had not crashed I suspect I would have been around 100th (actually more like 130th) in 40-44 at Nice. Slots at St. George will be harder to get at US races than they were for Nice.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Oct 25, 19 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
If you want a shot at the AG podium at 70.3 world's in 35-39 I think you need to be a 4:05 or faster kind of guy. I qualified for Nice with a 4:26 in Boulder that got me 3rd AG. If I had not crashed I suspect I would have been around 100th (actually more like 130th) in 40-44 at Nice. Slots at St. George will be harder to get at US races than they were for Nice.

4:05 is smoking for me to visualize. That's fast.

I can't imagine it now, but maybe in a year I'll be able to find a way for 2021. What is the alternative - not to have podium goals and just enjoy the race and do the best you can?

Yeah I know slots are going to be tougher to get next year for a US race. I just hope 4:20-4:30 will be enough. I guess I will train as hard as I can until then to get as fast as possible. If I really wanted a slot and didn't get it in Augusta, I'd have a few more chances, but hope to keep it simple. I know that course well. I've ridden the bike course three times in races. I can visualize all the transitions well. I have a hard time with new races with courses that aren't intuitive.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 2021 70.3 Worlds in St. George [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went into world's simply with the goal to execute an aggressive but appropriate race plan for me and forget about anyone else. My goal was not a good placement it was a good race.

At my qualifying race my bike split was 2:17 so not terrible, but I had been to world's before and I knew what to expect. I was a total chump on the bike course. Just let the dudes pass you and stick to the plan! Maybe they'll blow up later and you'll get em on the run. If they don't, there's nothing you can do about it anyway except f up your own race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply