Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder flexibility swimming
Quote | Reply
So a lot of info I read and see is have a large range of movement/flexibility is required for fast swimming. Yet when I look at the range of motion many fast swimmers have it's quite limited-for example wide arm recovery.

So what am I missing, how flexible do you need to be or is it more pool focused swimming related?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder flexibility swimming [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a specific answer for you except to say that open water swimming is more about confidence and attitude than about any specific technique. You have to be "aggressively comfortable" and in good physical condition. If you can claim that you won't have any issues on your swim.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my .02 on this and well, you get what you pay for. (should be pink)

Shoulder flexibility and ROM are great for preventing injury, for having healthy posture and have little to do with swimming ability/success.
The actual arm movement needed to swim is finally starting to come around (hence straight arm recovery) to NOT NEEDING TO BE SO COMPLICATED AND ARTICULATED. For years I have been trying to minimize the movement through the arm motion. Less stress on shoulder, less focus on "what is my hand doing" and thus opening up the opportunity to focus more on what matters.. that being breath and boat.

While I feel like I have said this before here, swimmers and swim coaches are now starting to discover (from watching elites) that much more forward propulsion can come from the arm ABOVE the surface, than any work that is being done under the water. Having your throw arm be extended (vs bent elbow) allows for more of a throw weight over the surface and that throw weight can have dramatic positive impacts on your velocity.
While this is true for 17.6 sec 50 yard free times... it applies to OW and distance swimming (ie triathletes) as well. And I would argue to even better effect.

good luck

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
So a lot of info I read and see is have a large range of movement/flexibility is required for fast swimming. Yet when I look at the range of motion many fast swimmers have it's quite limited-for example wide arm recovery.

So what am I missing, how flexible do you need to be or is it more pool focused swimming related?

I think the ROM isn't so much in how wide / narrow the recovery is, but in how much reach you get. Reach is important for a couple of things, 1) DPS, and 2) getting your C of Mass forward, which makes it easier to keep your legs up at the surface.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder flexibility swimming [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most fast swimmers (by which I mean Olympic level) have a lot of shoulder flexibility (way above average), regardless of whether they have a wide or narrow arm recovery. Don't confuse the width or arm recovery with total shoulder range of motion.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder flexibility swimming [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder flexibility swimming [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most triathletes would have an issue with thoracic spine flexibility. I think that trumps the shoulder joints themselves. Our club has a swimmer with sort of flat arms pawing at the water. You know doesn't have that swimmer's typical arm cycle & strong pull. Yet she can turn a 5: & change 400M. Proof to me that the torso zone & posture is crucial for function and drag reduction. She has the fastest dolphin - also points to a functional core!

Therefore , the priority is that zone between tops of the shoulders to the base of the pelvis - which has to be functionally strong and dynamic. You can work on that in the gym and be a faster swimmer without ever getting wet.

Had my son take some deck video posted on my Instagram. I know and could see a problem between the shoulders. Also I can feel it. I was at physio this week and she tried to get my mid back to loosen up & twist normally. Couldn't do it. More IMS needles. My plan next is to get the Hypervolt (impact) gun and go at the spinae on a regular basis.

I've been on the bike too much. Running helps strengthen the core, doesn't do anything special in twist motion. Cycling hurts it all :(

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply