Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What, no women's hockey? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Fair point. I'd say maybe but not definite, but it's been worthy enough to keep going back where we've been a few times. The NWHL does need to do a better job of marketing their product and growing the game, but needs the support of the NHL for it to truly be successful.

One challenge that the players face in addition to the low salaries (most work in regular career jobs) is the lack of practice time (not all players live/work in the cities in which they play) where if they do get ice time, it's maybe an hour or so a week so they are forced to skate with local college teams in stay in shape. Also no health insurance provided by the league, so if they get hurt in a game unless they have their own insurance already they are on their own.

And if you get hurt in beer league or I get hurt playing flag football.

To solve the "issues" you've identified costs money. Where is this going to come from? The WNBA has probably half as many players and a lot less in equipment needs and would fold in a season with the NBA subsidies.

If the product was as good as you claimed there would be no issue with money. I find this boycott to be childish and at the end of the day the one remaining league will fold. Bravismo.

There is only one remaining league now. CWHL announced they folded in March, and shut their doors 2 days ago - which is a better end than AAF.

From 15 to 17, Boston supported 2 womens pro teams. Last year the Boston CWHL team, the Blades, moved out to Worcester - so for the 18-19 seasons, there were 2 pro womens teams 40 miles from each other.

The NWHL team plays in an arena owned and operated by New Balance, at NB HQ that is also the Bruin's practice arena. Seats 800...
The CWHL team in it's last year played in a much smaller facility without real stands.

How many players on the team? How many games? How much are tickets? 800 multiplied by whatever people are willing to pay not getting the team into a position to pay players 50K a year or whatever random nonsensical wage they want.
Quote Reply
Re: What, no women's hockey? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
To be honest I don't find it to be good hockey. It's pretty sloppy.

I've been to OHL games (Oshawa Generals) and frankly it's better than women's Olympic hockey. I can't imagine that the pro women's league is better than women's Olympic hockey.

Anyway, all the power to them but I don't see this working out so well for them unless the league crumbles and the NHL decides to create it's own women's league. (although that might be their hope with this action)

I can't remember the exact details, but didn't the women's national team face off against a team of teenage boys (can't remember the league... But I think they were 15-16 year olds) and get absolutely slaughtered by them?

Junior hockey is really, really good quality. I go to see WHL games on occasion and I'm blow away by the skill and speed of the players. It's hard to believe some of them are barely old enough to be babysitting.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What, no women's hockey? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
To be honest I don't find it to be good hockey. It's pretty sloppy.

I've been to OHL games (Oshawa Generals) and frankly it's better than women's Olympic hockey. I can't imagine that the pro women's league is better than women's Olympic hockey.

Anyway, all the power to them but I don't see this working out so well for them unless the league crumbles and the NHL decides to create it's own women's league. (although that might be their hope with this action)

I can't remember the exact details, but didn't the women's national team face off against a team of teenage boys (can't remember the league... But I think they were 15-16 year olds) and get absolutely slaughtered by them?

Junior hockey is really, really good quality. I go to see WHL games on occasion and I'm blow away by the skill and speed of the players. It's hard to believe some of them are barely old enough to be babysitting.

They typically play against Triple A, which IIRC is one level below major junior or NCAA. They try and do the same in the US and other countries (Finland etc) the women usually have a winning record as the boys have to play by the no contact rules.

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next