Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
As you might imagine, a double blind study on something like this would be challenging (or maybe impossible) to do. But that said, the study of caloric restriction/I.F. is a well established line of scientific inquiry, and research on this topic has been done with many species of animals including humans. As far as I'm aware, nearly all of the results across all animal species (including humans) all point in essentially the same direction: caloric restriction/I.F. seems to have considerable and quite potent health effects/benefits.

If you want to see for yourself, the best thing I have seen that has summarized the current state of this research has been this short BBC doc about I.F. (link below). In the documentary, there are a number of well-respected scientists that talk about their research (and their very intriguing results). Many of their findings are, in my view, simply astounding.

But take a look and decide for yourself. It is compelling stuff.
Link to BBC doc:
https://vimeo.com/170735109

Pretty good summary right here.

I'd say much of nutrition science is junk. Lots of bad epidemiology and false conclusions.

The science of longevity however is leading to more research with regards to fasting. Who knows where it will end up. In my opinion, based off what I've read, fasting and periodic caloric restriction is a good thing.

Plus, if you don't like it, just eat something.
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
IF noob here...…...what is the benefit of IF?

Not sure about any metabolic benefits, but there are many cancer and disease prevention benefits, as well as apparently anti-aging benefits.
Would love to see you provide actual double blind study with evidence on that. I bet you can't/won't.

As you might imagine, a double blind study on something like this would be challenging (or maybe impossible) to do. But that said, the study of caloric restriction/I.F. is a well established line of scientific inquiry, and research on this topic has been done with many species of animals including humans. As far as I'm aware, nearly all of the results across all animal species (including humans) all point in essentially the same direction: caloric restriction/I.F. seems to have considerable and quite potent health effects/benefits.

If you want to see for yourself, the best thing I have seen that has summarized the current state of this research has been this short BBC doc about I.F. (link below). In the documentary, there are a number of well-respected scientists that talk about their research (and their very intriguing results). Many of their findings are, in my view, simply astounding.

But take a look and decide for yourself. It is compelling stuff.
Link to BBC doc:
https://vimeo.com/170735109

As I suspected, you have no objective source that provides evidence for IF. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, if you watch the linked video, there is tons of objective evidence based on the cited research that they examine. If you want, l am sure you could look up the researchers they talked with and have years of evidence-based reading material on this topic ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Jason, just noticed this thread. And for me it has been great, doing an average of 18 hour fasts, and "all" my training during that time. I do moderate to intense workouts, swimming and running usually, but throwing in some weights now too. I have never bonked in 2 hours of training, and generally feel great during and after. Actually never hungry right after, so usually take an hour or two before refueling.

Take a look at Gene who has been posting here, he is setting world marathon records fasted, and says he trains every day without breakfast, or hardly any calories during training, and he says he goes hard most of the time..

All my blood markers became a lot better, except the last test where my total cholesterol was up. T went up 18%, liver enzymes went down a lot, white cell counts went from high to low(thinking overall inflmation there), and a couple other good ones. I do drink straight black coffee every morning, and take one or two salt caps during the morning time. If I dont, then I start to feel cramps coming on, and this always fends them off until I can eat. Probably a combination of not eating for 18 hours, training and burning another 800 to 1000 calories, and the diuretic affect of the coffee.

Anyway it has been over a year, no problems. Lost a lot of weight in the first 6 months, but have since leveled off. Have to change what I actually eat to get those last 7 or 8 lbs. Which I'm just starting to do, heading towards a more plant based diet, with just occasional meat and dairy.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither do you have evidence on the contrary. Thank you also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [Crumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not intermittent fasting. That is a just a low calorie diet that claims to mimic fasting.
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enhanced Endurance Performance by Periodization of Carbohydrate Intake: "Sleep Low" Strategy.
Quote:
PURPOSE:
We investigated the effect of a chronic dietary periodization strategy on endurance performance in trained athletes.
METHODS:
Twenty-one triathletes (V˙O2max: 58.7 ± 5.7 mL·min(-1)·kg(-1)) were divided into two groups: a "sleep-low" (SL) (n = 11) and a control (CON) group (n = 10) consumed the same daily carbohydrate (CHO) intake (6 g·kg(-1)·d(-1)) but with different timing over the day to manipulate CHO availability before and after training sessions. The SL strategy consisted of a 3-wk training-diet intervention comprising three blocks of diet-exercise manipulations: 1) "train-high" interval training sessions in the evening with high-CHO availability, 2) overnight CHO restriction ("sleeping-low"), and 3) "train-low" sessions with low endogenous and exogenous CHO availability. The CON group followed the same training program but with high CHO availability throughout training sessions (no CHO restriction overnight, training sessions with exogenous CHO provision).
RESULTS:
There was a significant improvement in delta efficiency during submaximal cycling for SL versus CON (CON, +1.4% ± 9.3%; SL, +11% ± 15%, P < 0.05). SL also improved supramaximal cycling to exhaustion at 150% of peak aerobic power (CON, +1.63% ± 12.4%; SL, +12.5% ± 19.0%; P = 0.06) and 10-km running performance (CON, -0.10% ± 2.03%; SL, -2.9% ± 2.15%; P < 0.05). Fat mass was decreased in SL (CON, -2.6 ± 7.4; SL, -8.5% ± 7.4% before; P < 0.01), but not lean mass (CON, -0.22 ± 1.0; SL, -0.16% ± 1.7% PRE).
CONCLUSION:
Short-term periodization of dietary CHO availability around selected training sessions promoted significant improvements in submaximal cycling economy, as well as supramaximal cycling capacity and 10-km running time in trained endurance athletes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26741119
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sorry Jason, just noticed this thread. And for me it has been great, doing an average of 18 hour fasts, and "all" my training during that time. I do moderate to intense workouts, swimming and running usually, but throwing in some weights now too. I have never bonked in 2 hours of training, and generally feel great during and after. Actually never hungry right after, so usually take an hour or two before refueling.

Take a look at Gene who has been posting here, he is setting world marathon records fasted, and says he trains every day without breakfast, or hardly any calories during training, and he says he goes hard most of the time..

All my blood markers became a lot better, except the last test where my total cholesterol was up. T went up 18%, liver enzymes went down a lot, white cell counts went from high to low(thinking overall inflmation there), and a couple other good ones. I do drink straight black coffee every morning, and take one or two salt caps during the morning time. If I dont, then I start to feel cramps coming on, and this always fends them off until I can eat. Probably a combination of not eating for 18 hours, training and burning another 800 to 1000 calories, and the diuretic affect of the coffee.

Anyway it has been over a year, no problems. Lost a lot of weight in the first 6 months, but have since leveled off. Have to change what I actually eat to get those last 7 or 8 lbs. Which I'm just starting to do, heading towards a more plant based diet, with just occasional meat and dairy.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions...

According to Dr Nadir Ali pow carb which happens during intermittent fasting increases ketones which causes fat adaptation and increase of cholesterol. All heathy for us

I have noticed the same.

All blood tests good except higher ldl
Quote Reply
Re: Monty and other intermittent fasters. [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://valterlongo.com/scientific-articles/

Different articles.

People are individuals. People should therefore try different things and see what works for them.

Intermittent fasting helps keep me lean and strong. I have no problem exercising whilst doing so.

People should experiment and see if it works for them. If not, do not do it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next