Prev Next
Re: IMTX 2019 - Drafting Problem Solved?! [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
mickison wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Then you won't be racing most WTC races.

I've done my fair share of WTC races and in the past decade plus and only seen a draft pack, as shown in Texas, once.

Which WTC races have you done that you HAVEN'T seen a draft pack?

Also, where are you in said races meaning fop mop bop?

I'm genuinely curious. I haven't been in a single wtc race that hasn't had huge draft packs. It's a big part of why I try to support smaller independent races. I love the show WTC puts on so it's be neat to do a race without drafting

what's your definition of huge? I saw the videos from last year's IM TX and I've never seen draft packs that large. I've typically seen them in the under 10 person range. Mostly 5ish people.

Good point as its relative... so for my definition of huge? To me, over 30 is huge. Even at/near the front of WTC races I've done or volunteered at I've routinely seen packs as big or bigger.

But, in fairness, all the races I've been in or volunteered at were eithier relatively flat or the hills were in the latter portion of the bike.

I think hills early or throughout do a lot to break up packs.

I think the only WTC I've done with huge draft packs was HIM NC Beach 2 Battleship in in 2016 as it was flat and that year super windy so people just lined up and hunkered down from the wind. It became really frustrating on the bike and I burned out my legs having to pass packs of 20.

But I've done Rev3 WIlliamsburg, HIM Chattanooga, HIM Augusta, IM Chattanooga and I never saw huge packs. I saw smaller packs but those courses had just enough hills to get things broken up.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 2019 - Drafting Problem Solved?! [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Which WTC races have you done that you HAVEN'T seen a draft pack?

3 out of 14 from my FOMOP view. IMCDA 2010. IM South Africa 2017 and IM Norway 2018. None were flat, and the latter only had 525 finishers.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 2019 - Drafting Problem Solved?! [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
What the marshals did in first part of race was awesome! I was hanging back from a group of maybe 12-15 guys. A marshal rolled up next to me and I pointed at the group (which at that point was a mix or legal and very not legal riding), he gave me a thumbs up.... speed ahead and started handing out cards!!! he stuck with the group till first penalty tent when 7-8 people in that group pulled in.

I think you might have been in front of me. You pointed to guys on front which were pretty close to each other. I was the dude with the green long tail wasp helmet, aerocalfs etc.

The marshals did great job, i was really happy to see their work. Especially on the first lap. Wasnt going to race here as was concerned about the packs, but got transferred from florida18 to this race.. no
choice..luckily the race was clean

—
Last edited by: JanneK: May 2, 19 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 2019 - Drafting Problem Solved?! [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JanneK wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
What the marshals did in first part of race was awesome! I was hanging back from a group of maybe 12-15 guys. A marshal rolled up next to me and I pointed at the group (which at that point was a mix or legal and very not legal riding), he gave me a thumbs up.... speed ahead and started handing out cards!!! he stuck with the group till first penalty tent when 7-8 people in that group pulled in.

I think you might have been in front of me. You pointed to guys on front which were pretty close to each other. I was the dude with the green long tail wasp helmet, aerocalfs etc.

The marshals did great job, i was really happy to see their work. Especially on the first lap. Wasnt going to race here as was concerned about the packs, but got transferred from florida18 to this race.. no

Yep! Nice bike position btw..... yea minus miles 60-80 into the headwind with that one group of guys that we could not seem to break away from it felt like very clean race, given the amount of fast racers..... I could not take those 5 guys anymore by the second turn around and pushed pretty hard right there to get away.

.... Do you think so many fast guys in the AG because of the FL deferrals? I was surprised to 18 guys in m40-44 that had previously raced Kona.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: Toothengineer: May 2, 19 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
JanneK wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Yep! Nice bike position btw..... yea minus miles 60-80 into the headwind with that one group of guys that we could not seem to break away from it felt like very clean race, given the amount of fast racers..... I could not take those 5 guys anymore by the second turn around and pushed pretty hard right there to get away.

.... Do you think so many fast guys in the AG because of the FL deferrals? I was surprised to 18 guys in m40-44 that had previously raced Kona.

Thanks, have been honing the position quite a bit (IE. Custom pads to get enough reach for the p5 with the ventus bar)

FL..Good question. Might be. Definitely there are guys who would have tried to Kona 19 qualification from Florida 18 and now just had to change to Texas.. I was obviously one those.

Congrats for Kona place! This was my first KQ.. (with very close not to even race as has bad flu for couple weeks just prior race.. which then dropped my performance on the race day, luckily not too much..)

—
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 2019 - Drafting Problem Solved?! [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You as well..... I let me spot roll down. Hopefully someone will appreciate it that was in 10 or 11th.

This is why I dont ride a p5 hard to get bars just right, seems like you got it dialed though. You have some good pics online with "Creative Cycle" as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question: I competed In liuzhou 70.3 this year and I cannot see how u can possibly maintain 12m separation.

Nobody I saw drafted in a pack but there were long lines of people going roughly the same speed that were not 12m apart (but also not drafting or getting an advantage).

You either had to pass like 20 people in a Row without stopping or let 20 people pass you

What do u do in that case? In no instance was anybody on anyone’s wheel.

They weren’t penalizing anyone.

Everyone was just grinding along minding their own business passing slower people and getting passed but lots of time there wasn’t 12m separation.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 2019 - Drafting Problem Solved?! [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
Serious question: I competed In liuzhou 70.3 this year and I cannot see how u can possibly maintain 12m separation.

Nobody I saw drafted in a pack but there were long lines of people going roughly the same speed that were not 12m apart (but also not drafting or getting an advantage).

You either had to pass like 20 people in a Row without stopping or let 20 people pass you

What do u do in that case? In no instance was anybody on anyone’s wheel.

They weren’t penalizing anyone.

Everyone was just grinding along minding their own business passing slower people and getting passed but lots of time there wasn’t 12m separation.

For me your exactly right. Personally I was either at the front of a group or at the very back, till mile 80. When you get in the middle all that happens is someone passes you and you have to drop you power to fall back (to stay legal) and that seems to keep happening till you are at the back. The good thing about Texas was you have the lines in the roads so you can tell pretty well if your 12m and if you fell back around 25-30m + back you would feel that pull fully drop off. I totally lost touch with the front group as I was peeing a few times and had to put in efforts to catch back up. Its in very few races that I find I have a group of riders riding with me, most of the time its a pretty much solo effort start to finish. Not sure if I like or dislike the "group" dynamics but its def a very large factor in your placing at the end of the day, could be a positive or a negative depending if your using up to much energy to stay in the "group."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answer. I mean I’m just trying to get a PR. I’m not winning shit. It would totally ruin my race if I had to purposely slow down to let 20 dudes pass me who weren’t even going faster than me

It would likewise ruin my race to have to be burning matches to pass 20 people. The roads were plenty of room to avoid being behind anyone.

Just frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I mean I’m just trying to get a PR. I’m not winning shit. It would totally ruin my race if I had to purposely slow down to let 20 dudes pass me who weren’t even going faster than me

It would likewise ruin my race to have to be burning matches to pass 20 people. The roads were plenty of room to avoid being behind anyone.

Just frustrating.

I know we are a little off topic now from IMTX. But look at this a couple of ways: If your riding at a legal 12m (6 bike lengths distance) you gain a little over 20w so your either A. saving energy for the run or B. riding you normal power but since you have a small pull and your riding your power but your going faster. Also I you are simply passing people but you ride right up to there back wheel before you pass you gain about 1 sec for each person you pass (now be careful or you end up with a broken collarbone, yes I have been there not to long ago). Every race dynamics will be different so you have to take what each race gives you and make tactical decisions on race day. If there is one thing that is much more apparent to me now is: if you dont push the swim you might miss the opportunity to get on the train.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think having to pass large groups riding legally wouldn't be horrible if everyone was sensible and stayed legal. Pass maybe 4 and that 4th has to drop back. Take a break there, then pass 4 more. So on and so forth. The problem comes when no one drops back once you cross the front wheel. And then they take offense to it and immediately try to pass you again making your effort wasted.

I rode IMTX last year and that was my complaint. I was able to find room outside of the large packs. I got passed by a huge one, but found space to myself most of the time. My complaint was all the people who had no regard for passing etiquette. When you pass, they race you to stay in front. When you are making a pass, a small pack comes on the right hand shoulder passing everyone. That person you finally dropped who you constantly pass on the downhill of every overpass, but overtakes you on the climb......suddenly reappears on the tail of that huge draft pack only to drop off right in front of you. Those things bothered me more than the draft packs last year. Mostly because draft packs didnt affect my personal race much
Quote Reply

Prev Next