Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple
Quote | Reply
So, I get that most people love their iphones. I have been a Samsung guy forever. I have loved many things I can do on my phones and haven't had any issues. I went from a HTC phone when we upgraded from the old flip phone. It was the Apple 3 rival. Loved it. Our phones got stolen on vacation and we upgraded to the Samsung 4s. Was great. Then 2 years ago switched to the Samsung J7 (cheap version and we needed an upgrade due to antennae issues with 4s according to our carrier). Phone was only $140 at Costco and bought them outright. The camera has sucked, and we love taking pics of our kid (only 1 kid who is 3).

I got a killer deal on the Samsung s9+ and s9 at Costco ($450 and 350 respectively).

However, I hate that there is no longer a home button on the phones and the phone is weird size wise...longer and thinner. I find both issues a bit annoying (1st world problem).

I was thinking of jumping over to Apple to give the 8 and 8s a try. My wife hasn't even started using the s9 yet, cause she knows I am kinda put off by the new design.

Just curious what some have thought. Are you happy you switched, or did you switch and not like it and switch back?

I have 90 days to make my decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apostasy is punished by burning at the stake.
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the laugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fiance' uses Samsung, while I am an Apple user. The switch is best done wholesale, if possible. I just texted him on my iMac with a 27" screen, while he complains that none of his devices talk to each other.

Given how often he has to restart his phone (I think it's an 8), and that I called Apple yesterday and talked to a human being about getting too much spam and what to do about it, I can't imagine switching to the Samsung platform. IMO, having human help at hand within 60 seconds is a HUGE plus.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
My fiance' uses Samsung, while I am an Apple user. The switch is best done wholesale, if possible. I just texted him on my iMac with a 27" screen, while he complains that none of his devices talk to each other.

Given how often he has to restart his phone (I think it's an 8), and that I called Apple yesterday and talked to a human being about getting too much spam and what to do about it, I can't imagine switching to the Samsung platform. IMO, having human help at hand within 60 seconds is a HUGE plus.

Interesting...that might be a carrier issue. I have T-mobile (love it! We only pay $80 a month for full data and texting plans. Taxes included). When I call, I get a human too.

I wouldn't call Samsung, I know that would be annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this helps but I am the only one out of 5 phones on my plan not to have an Apple phone. My whole calendar is on google calendar.. I guess I could download google calendar to the iPhone if I ever switched. I am using the original Pixel currently and haven't had a need or desire to switch up yet. The pictures automatically go to Google Photo so I can access them on any device.. The other thing I like is Google Glass. Pretty neat program where you taker a pic of something and it will search the internet for what the pic is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

Interesting...that might be a carrier issue. I have T-mobile (love it! We only pay $80 a month for full data and texting plans. Taxes included). When I call, I get a human too.

I wouldn't call Samsung, I know that would be annoying.

Nah, it was an email from the "Nigerian Finance Minister, supposedly at Apple", reminding me that I had allegedly spent $12.99 on a purchase and wanting me to click here to confirm the purchase ;-) I wanted Apple to be aware of the scam email.

And my carrier is Straight Talk for $495 yearly with 25 GB of data monthly. It's not quite as reliable as AT & T was, but it's not $120/ month either, so there's that.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been an Android person. At this point most of the higher end hardware is pretty nice to use and I think I could like an iPhone. My son switched to iPhone a year ago only because the kids all use iMessage and he was missing out on a lot. He would like to still be on Android.

One thing I'll add. In my opinion, the Pixel phone is a far better Android experience than a Samsung. It's worth looking at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds more like a home button/size issue

I upgraded to the XS Max last year that has no home button and I love the interface...takes maybe 10mins to get used to not having a home button.

So I guess what I’m saying is that learn to live with no home button...it’s where all phones are going anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
I've always been an Android person. At this point most of the higher end hardware is pretty nice to use and I think I could like an iPhone. My son switched to iPhone a year ago only because the kids all use iMessage and he was missing out on a lot. He would like to still be on Android.

One thing I'll add. In my opinion, the Pixel phone is a far better Android experience than a Samsung. It's worth looking at.

I still use the original Pixel and dont have a need or desire to upgrade to the Pixel 3. With the Pixel's you get the OS updates 1st! :o)
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
svennn wrote:

I still use the original Pixel and dont have a need or desire to upgrade to the Pixel 3. With the Pixel's you get the OS updates 1st! :o)

+1
My Pixel 2 XL is the best phone I've owned. My wife prefers Samsung Notes, but everything is better on a Pixel.

Like cars, phones are losing physical buttons. It's inevitable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone from Apple to Android years ago, but I wouldn't want to do it now. If I were in your position I'd look at phones from google or Motorola and see if one is more to your liking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Went from flip phone to the original iPhone, when that died we moved to Sprint and they did not have the iPhone yet so I ended up with an HTC Android. That thing was the biggest POS I have ever dealt with, between the crap phone, the lousy interface HTC put over the top of Android, and crappy Sprint service, it was a really bad experience. Went back to Apple at the 4 and have been there since, on the 7+ right now.

I have a macbook, iPad, iPhone, and apple watch so I am all in at this point and everything works great. I have a Nexus Android tablet and I much prefer the iPad.

It really is all just personal preference at this point if you get the right Android. A Pixel is just as good as an iPhone. I wouldn't buy anything from Samsung, they make cheap junk with bloatware IMO.

But as another poster said, the home button is going away, might just need to get used to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Sounds more like a home button/size issue

I upgraded to the XS Max last year that has no home button and I love the interface...takes maybe 10mins to get used to not having a home button.

So I guess what I’m saying is that learn to live with no home button...it’s where all phones are going anyway.

I agree. I hate that it is. It is simple and easy to use-I have had a home button for the last 8-10 years. That is why I am not in love with it moving on. Kinda sucks, but I guess I don't have much of a choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iPhone users since Verizon got the 4 way back in 2011. I recently switched to a Google pixel 3 instead and am very happy with it. The only reason is consider switching back is because the rest of my family is on iPhone and there are some family share conveniences, but at this point they can figure that shit out on their own because I'm staying on the Android train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple benefits are mainly iphone to iPhone users as well as the multi apple platform.

I have an IMac, iPhone, and iPad. All play nicely together.

iMessage, FaceTime, airdrop, find my friends, and the maps as well as share my location all work great on iPhone to iPhone users.

Frankly, when you have an iPhone and someone else doesn’t, it is pretty frustrating when you know how well it works with your iPhone friends/ family. I have had people send me maps that had the wrong addresses sent to me from android users. Android users saying they didn’t get texts or pics sent on text message.

That stuff just doesn’t happen when it’s an iPhone to iPhone.

I would never switch. I once built my own computers and I get why someone wants to have the flexibility, but when a product just works well, is dusprable amd reliable, and is also supported ... why would you want something different? To me, an Android owner is like a person who has a Chevy a Malibu when I don’t understand why an offering from Honda, Toyota, or a Nissan wasn’t purchased instead. Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima ... I dunno. Lots of solid choices. Why not go for the solid, reliable choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Apple benefits are mainly iphone to iPhone users as well as the multi apple platform.

I have an IMac, iPhone, and iPad. All play nicely together.

iMessage, FaceTime, airdrop, find my friends, and the maps as well as share my location all work great on iPhone to iPhone users.

Frankly, when you have an iPhone and someone else doesn’t, it is pretty frustrating when you know how well it works with your iPhone friends/ family. I have had people send me maps that had the wrong addresses sent to me from android users. Android users saying they didn’t get texts or pics sent on text message.

That stuff just doesn’t happen when it’s an iPhone to iPhone.

I would never switch. I once built my own computers and I get why someone wants to have the flexibility, but when a product just works well, is dusprable amd reliable, and is also supported ... why would you want something different? To me, an Android owner is like a person who has a Chevy a Malibu when I don’t understand why an offering from Honda, Toyota, or a Nissan wasn’t purchased instead. Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima ... I dunno. Lots of solid choices. Why not go for the solid, reliable choice.

Exactly, get a Pixel.

This whole "It's an Apple, it just works" thing is getting old. All tech has issues.

In all seriousness, think about the the location of the fingerprint sensor. Everyone is different but I like the location on the back of the phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
This whole "It's an Apple, it just works" thing is getting old. All tech has issues.

Yes, but some more than others, obviously.

svennn wrote:
In all seriousness, think about the the location of the fingerprint sensor. Everyone is different but I like the location on the back of the phone.

Something else that hasn't been brought up yet: it has famously been demonstrated a while ago that the content of my iPhone is so well protected that not even the NSA can get to it :-)
Do you have the same faith in Google products?
Quote Reply
Re: Phone Question-Jump from Android to Apple [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
To me, an Android owner is like a person who has a Chevy a Malibu when I don’t understand why an offering from Honda, Toyota, or a Nissan wasn’t purchased instead. Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima ... I dunno. Lots of solid choices. Why not go for the solid, reliable choice.

You've got your analogy backwards.

My brother in law would be the apple user. He'll buy anything, as long as it's made by Ford. Other companies make cars do the same thing, usually better, but because he's in a silo by choice, they might as well not exist.

Now it's not a perfect analogy because you can repair your own Ford. You can modify your Ford with stuff that doesn't come from a Ford store. If Fords were factory sealed and you could only service them at Ford dealerships, and if repair parts were unobtainable, and if places like Summit and Jeggs couldn't sell parts that attach to Fords, if you could only buy accessories in a Ford dealership.

Someone who isn't stuck in a silo, i.e. an android user, can be brand agnostic. They can buy a Honda or a BMW or even a Ford. They can go to a dealer or to an independent shop to get it fixed. They can go to a dealership or autozone to get parts. They can go to Summit and get performance parts. They can go to WeatherTech and get floor mats.
Quote Reply