Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need some input- withdraw or maybe DNF
Quote | Reply
Hey,
I need some help deciding if I should try and possibly DNF or cancel the race.
I've been signed up for CdA 70.3 since last fall.
Training was going well until at the end of February I strained my calf. Couldn't run for a month. Then, starting up again in early April and I end up needing an emergency gall bladder surgery!!!
No activity for 2 weeks, no swimming for 4 weeks.
I just got cleared to run and bike, another week and a half till I can swim or lift any weight.

At this point, I'm WAY off in training and the race is 8 weeks away.
Would you/should I plug away and try- worst case, I'll DNF for the first time. The alternative is to just cancel.

It's a drive and I can cancel my hotel, so no loss there. The race.... Eh, I can get a $75 refund, so it's not so much a financial decision.

I'm basically running 3 miles now, after 2 months of injury. I can make the bike no prob.
Swim- I've been out of the water for a while, but know I can ramp that up.

Thoughts???
Thanks for the input

E
Quote Reply
Re: Need some input- withdraw or maybe DNF [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dump it. Maybe you can skip it a year.
If you just doin it for fun and don’t care about the time, do it, but if that would be the case you wouldn’t have asked.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go for it but pace it easy. I broke a bone in a foot and needed surgery 12 weeks prior to a 70.3 in Mallorca. Did not train for 4 weeks then slowly swimming and cycling and no running until week 10. The run was freaking hard and it took me a lot longer than normal but I still enjoyed it. In general if you are fit you can do a lot in 8 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some input- withdraw or maybe DNF [K73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K73 wrote:
Just go for it but pace it easy. I broke a bone in a foot and needed surgery 12 weeks prior to a 70.3 in Mallorca. Did not train for 4 weeks then slowly swimming and cycling and no running until week 10. The run was freaking hard and it took me a lot longer than normal but I still enjoyed it. In general if you are fit you can do a lot in 8 weeks.

Thanks. I'm thinking go for it. Ran 5 miles today. Calf still hurts, so maybe that was a bit much. Still, I think I can get close to where I need to be to get it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are 100% cleared by your dr to do it, I would personally do it as a mission to end your journey on a good note, regardless of time.

If you can hit the swim and bike cutoffs without an issue, you should have time to speed walk/jog/run/wog/whatever to the finish line.
There are 7 and 8 hour finishers, so usually there's enough time on the course to get to the finish line.

If it makes life difficult to fit it in, maybe punt it. I know some races for me are a logistical stretch, so if there was a good reason not to do it, I'd probably scrap it.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say go for it.

Then again, I did my first ever 70.3 on less than a weeks notice (signed up as a relay swimmer and then the rest of the team backed out) and having NEVER run more than 3 miles in my life. I swam and biked to my ability and then did a run/walk based on feel. Lots of walking was done but I finished, caught the long course bug, and have now finished 9 IM’s and countless 70.3’s.
Quote Reply