Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Resale value of tri bike [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone has $1000 in their hand and wants a good tri bike they certainly aren't going to get a new one. I'm not making my estimate based on BBB, just looking at what is available on CL in Atlanta today. I've personally sold a 10yr old Allez with a triple for $400. So if this bike was listed for $500 I bet it's gone in 24 hrs. I don't know about anyone else but my income bracket $500 actually means something.

But maybe you're right and I'm wrong. It still costs absolutely nothing to post it on Craigslist and find out. In the risk reward matrix there is no risk at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
If someone has $1000 in their hand and wants a good tri bike they certainly aren't going to get a new one. I'm not making my estimate based on BBB, just looking at what is available on CL in Atlanta today. I've personally sold a 10yr old Allez with a triple for $400. So if this bike was listed for $500 I bet it's gone in 24 hrs. I don't know about anyone else but my income bracket $500 actually means something.

But maybe you're right and I'm wrong. It still costs absolutely nothing to post it on Craigslist and find out. In the risk reward matrix there is no risk at all.

$500 bucks def. means something.

I just sold my wife's 7-year old Jamis ($400 new) on CL for $180. Totally worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
BBB actually runs on the lower end of resale prices because they buy/sell bikes.

That's kind of what I thought as well. I have bought and sold a couple road, tri and mountain bikes the last two years and found all of the buying and selling prices to be roughly within 10% of the BBB value. Maybe it's just because that's where people on the used market are getting their info (whether or not it's good info is TBD).

I feel like the BBB estimates may gone a bit lower in recent history. I was looking at a 19 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 and I have a tough time believing that something that sold for 5k is all the way down to $3300 in the 10 months it's been out.

My only example of something 10 years old is an 09 Trek TTX frame (with a new DA bottom bracket and mid level aerobars) with zero scratches or scrapes sell for a whole freaking $250 after sitting on it for most of a year. I tried giving it away to a couple friends that wanted a TT/TRI bike, but nobody wanted it. Paying for the labor and parts to turn it into a bike vs. buying something new just wasn't appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
I need to sell my DeVinci Leo T2 bike, and I wonder how one determines the value of a perfectly good bike that's over 10 years old? I think new it was worth about $3500-$4000. I have no idea what to list it for without looking greedy but I don't want to give it away.

Thoughts?

Take a look on your local Craigslist and see the range decent bikes are selling for (and if the sellers are realistic), and price under this range. You have a bigger audience on ebay, but you'll still only get around the same range. The buyers for your bike are going to be new triathletes looking for a bike, or possibly someone looking to upgrade. I had to look up your model, and lack of familiarity with the brand doesn't help an older bike. The person searching through CL is going to check out other ads, get a range for what triathlon bikes are going for (and that's for all bikes listed), may or may not know what the value of a frame, components, wheels are, and probably has a strong 'do not exceed' budget. I've had people contact me on bikes that didn't even know what size they fit, the bike was just in their price range. You probably are looking in the $700 range. Some bike shops also offer consignment sales for used bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with others. Post it on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for $750 or so and see what happens.

There are plenty of people like me out there who got into triathlon by buying things secondhand.

I’ve seen some 2008-2010 cervelo P2s sell in the $700-1000 range, you may get surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
My thought... this thread is useless without it pics

Here ya go. Yes those are flat pedals. I'd just brought her home and hadn't managed to get the Shimanos on yet.

Last edited by: Furiosa: May 1, 19 21:23
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
You could get $1000 for it no problem. Anyone who thinks that is "next to nothing" has more money than they know what to do with. I say I say I wonder what all the poor chickens are doing this winter. Lot's of people would rather spend less and have an awesome older bike than sell a kidney for an equivalent new bike.

If you have the patience to wait for the right buyer on Craigslist you can get $1000-$1400 (40% of new is normal). That's a big deposit on a pretty great new bike. (the disclaimer is that if you don't live in a major metro area you'll never find the buyer on CL and need to look at Ebay)

As it has turned out, there is a bike swap coming up on May 11. I set my price and let someone else do the selling. I'll do some research on CL and BBB to determine a reasonable price, but I'd rather keep her than literally give her away. She has some value to someone looking to get into triathlon and perhaps their first carbon-frame bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see it mentioned, but check the 'completed' listings on Ebay to get a better idea of value if you can find the same/similar bike. It doesn't cost anything to have something sit on ebay and it will automatically re-list for you. List prices aren't very helpful.

Swap meets can be great. Don't expect getting a great price on your equipment though. It's unlikely somebody is looking for your exact same bike and there's probably many other similar (similar enough to somebody casually looking for bike) to undercut yours. If you are having somebody else do the selling for you, count on them taking close to your 'rock bottom' price. It suuuuucks to set up, work an entire swap meet, and then have to load all that unsold stuff back in your vehicle. Our club has worked a few and we would usually go down to the rock bottom price by the halfway mark of the swap meet. The last couple hours is painful. It's usually just people throwing the embarrassing lowball offers your way and I understand why a lot of groups pack up and leave after just a few hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
I'd just brought her home and hadn't managed to get the Shimanos on yet.

Hard to tell what it's worth. It's probably an open mold frame with no pedigree and old components, but someone might give you decent money for it. FWIW I bought a 3 year old version of the Stradalli Phantom (FM086, that's been rebadged by over a dozen companies), with 11spd Dura Ace drivetrain, KForce Light cranks, etc in near new condition for $700 on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a $400 bike. Good luck with selling. Ebay is simple if you're just looking to offload. Probably the most "fair" marketplace for tri bikes anyway. 10% fee sucks though...
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
That's a $400 bike. Good luck with selling. Ebay is simple if you're just looking to offload. Probably the most "fair" marketplace for tri bikes anyway. 10% fee sucks though...

Likely true. But she's SO pretty, she must be worth a bit more than that. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a reference point, here was one for sale in 2008 already at >50% off that retail price:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=2148991;

You are attempting to sell a ~12yr old bike. Even if it's your baby, which would explain why you think it's so pretty, it just isn't worth much of anything. It even has 105 on it, so it's not like it was state of the art in 2007

Edit for second data point: here is one that just sold on ebay. Listed at $514 and took a best offer, https://www.ebay.com/...rksid=p2047675.l2557
Last edited by: indianacyclist: May 2, 19 21:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say hang it on the wall as art...I don’t think you’ll get anywhere near what you think it’s worth.

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Germany people would list that for at least $1000, but then people often try to sell 1-2 year old bikes for more that you can buy them new for, and they complain when the responses to their ads are less than friendly!
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [jf64k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jf64k wrote:
I say hang it on the wall as art...I don’t think you’ll get anywhere near what you think it’s worth.

I know full well it's not worth anywhere near what I would like to get in order to offset the cost of a new, properly-fitted bike. It's a old used piece of machinery at the end of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, maybe not zero chance, GMAN. I appreciate your sentiments - that it's great to help out somebody who needs a bike. My first "real" bike was a 1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri that I bought on eBay in 2004 for $800. In 2011 I upgraded to a new Speed Concept 7.0. I posted the Cervelo on eBay and it sold for $800. (I felt bad getting that much for it, so after I saw the winning bid price I threw in an extra wheel set and a bunch of tires because it was 650c and I wasn't going to need them anymore.) I'm careful with eBay postings, cleaning things up really well, taking lots of really good pictures, etc., but it's totally possible to sell a used bike for decent money if you show it well.

The GMAN wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:
You could get $1000 for it no problem. Anyone who thinks that is "next to nothing" has more money than they know what to do with. I say I say I wonder what all the poor chickens are doing this winter. Lot's of people would rather spend less and have an awesome older bike than sell a kidney for an equivalent new bike.

If you have the patience to wait for the right buyer on Craigslist you can get $1000-$1400 (40% of new is normal). That's a big deposit on a pretty great new bike. (the disclaimer is that if you don't live in a major metro area you'll never find the buyer on CL and need to look at Ebay)

Zero chance he can get $1000 for 10+ year old bike that was $4000 at retail. If he did, buyer is a total moron. I’m sure it’s a lovely bike but the value just isn’t there. Look at Bicycle Blue Book. In my opinion their values are far too high and the realistic value is down in the fair to good range at maybe 75-80% of those ranges. One will never see Excellent or Very Good no matter the condition of the bike. Fair to Good is in the $600-$850 range. Drop 20% off that because of BBB inherently running too high and you’re at $480-$680. So let’s say $500 plus finding that exact buyer who is willing to buy an 11 year old bike. I’d just as soon give it away than go through the hassle of trying to sell an 11 year old bike for 10% value. But that’s me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next