Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Losing power readings between P1 Pedals and Garmin when bike is in transition - help
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin Edge 520 Plus, and have no problems initially pairing my P1's with it. However, if I don't start cycling right away, after just a couple of minutes my Garmin is no longer picking up the signal and I have to spin the pedals again to re-pair the devices. This isn't such a problem in training since I can just re-spin the pedals right before I start, but for racing it means I can't set my shoes up on the bike and then hop on in transition, since my Garmin will not be getting any power readings until I spin the pedals again.

Batteries in both devices are charged and fine, and all Auto-Sleep type settings on the Garmin are disabled, so the Garmin is staying on, just losing the power readings. I'm guessing this is just some simple issue, but I haven't been able to figure it out or find it online. I didn't have this issue with my older 500 Edge, although if it's just a settings issue, that would explain it.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power readings between P1 Pedals and Garmin when bike is in transition - help [rahciao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pedals go to sleep after 4 minutes. I would assume that is it, but weird that you didn't have the issue with the 500? Once you spin / move them it reconnects. So your garmin isn't getting power for the first 30 seconds or so but should after that .

I have the 520 and P1s, calibrate in the morning, turn off auto sleep on the 520, go swim, get on the bike and pedal, power shows up
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 30, 19 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power readings between P1 Pedals and Garmin when bike is in transition - help [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm - I'll have to try it - I have only allowed it around 10-15 seconds or so of pedaling (without spinning the pedals around independently of applying power to move forward) before I have unclipped on the move and kicked one pedal around to spin it in place, then clipping back in. If it's just a lag of 30 seconds or so I can live with that, but I had thought it wouldn't re-pair without actually spinning the pedals in place again. I will give that a try and see if the power reading comes back just with normal pedaling. Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power readings between P1 Pedals and Garmin when bike is in transition - help [rahciao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rahciao wrote:
Hmm - I'll have to try it - I have only allowed it around 10-15 seconds or so of pedaling (without spinning the pedals around independently of applying power to move forward) before I have unclipped on the move and kicked one pedal around to spin it in place, then clipping back in. If it's just a lag of 30 seconds or so I can live with that, but I had thought it wouldn't re-pair without actually spinning the pedals in place again. I will give that a try and see if the power reading comes back just with normal pedaling. Thanks-

Spinning the pedals just wakes them up, you could also just spin the cranks to get them to wake up (i find spinning just happens faster). But getting on and riding them does the same thing as the cranks spin, the pedals spin too around the spindle. Should work the same. (it may take more than 30 seconds especially if you are averaging it)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 30, 19 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Losing power readings between P1 Pedals and Garmin when bike is in transition - help [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris, that took care of it fine. It was right at the point where I was about to say "this isn't working" and then they connected. Appreciate the help! I figured the solution would be simple but didn't know it would be as simple as "there isn't really an issue"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rahciao wrote:
Thanks Chris, that took care of it fine. It was right at the point where I was about to say "this isn't working" and then they connected. Appreciate the help! I figured the solution would be simple but didn't know it would be as simple as "there isn't really an issue"...

Cool! I like a happy ending. Erm... you know what I mean....
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 1, 19 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Chris pointed out, this is perfectly normal. The pedals take some time to sync up internally and then re-connect via ANT+. ANT+ is horribly chatty as a protocol and since its sliding read window is 1 sec, things can take a few seconds to get going again.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply