Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike Advice - can't decide
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I have a few options for a new TT/Tri bike and I am lost in the choices. I do not have a TT bike now, only a couple roadies/mtn bikes so that makes it harder. I am looking a some used bikes under 3k, they all look great but given my experience with these bikes I am not sure what is good/bad etc. I thought I could get some advice. I am not looking for making the podium anytime soon but I am also not looking to buy another bike (ok, maybe I will, haha) anytime soon so I'd like this to last for a while. My current options are as follows:

2014 Cervelo P3 Dt Swiss 60mm Carbon wheels 11 spd Ultegra - $2600
2014 QR Illicito Di2 Electronic shifters Head Jet60 Clincher wheelset - $3k
2017 Felt IA-14 - $2500
2015 Specialized Shiv Pro Zipp 808 Wheels Dura Ace $2800 (includes shipping)

These are all private sales so I can negotiate the price down if they are not fair too, these are just what they are currently asking.

Thanks for any help. I am SO confused with all the options being new to these bikes.

Appreciate it!

Jo
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [jobrandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jobrandes wrote:
Hi all,

I have a few options for a new TT/Tri bike and I am lost in the choices. I do not have a TT bike now, only a couple roadies/mtn bikes so that makes it harder. I am looking a some used bikes under 3k, they all look great but given my experience with these bikes I am not sure what is good/bad etc. I thought I could get some advice. I am not looking for making the podium anytime soon but I am also not looking to buy another bike (ok, maybe I will, haha) anytime soon so I'd like this to last for a while. My current options are as follows:

2014 Cervelo P3 Dt Swiss 60mm Carbon wheels 11 spd Ultegra - $2600
2014 QR Illicito Di2 Electronic shifters Head Jet60 Clincher wheelset - $3k
2017 Felt IA-14 - $2500
2015 Specialized Shiv Pro Zipp 808 Wheels Dura Ace $2800 (includes shipping)

These are all private sales so I can negotiate the price down if they are not fair too, these are just what they are currently asking.

Thanks for any help. I am SO confused with all the options being new to these bikes.

Appreciate it!

Jo
What are your fit coordinates? These bikes have varying geometries - I can't imagine all 4 are a good fit.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I can't find anyone in town who can do a pre-fit. They all will be happy to do a fit after a buy a bike, get it fitted for me, but doing a pre-fit so I can buy, that is the issue I am having. That said, your question is rough. I am 5'4", 30" insean, short torso. The Cervelo is a 51. The QR is a small. The Felt is a 51. And the Specialized is a Small. I am not sure about the reach or other geometry, again, I'm new to this. If you have suggestions, that would be great.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With stock aerobars, all of those bikes are probably too big.

You might consider traveling. $3k is a lot of money to waste.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, great to know! I am close enough to make a weekend trip for a fit to NoCal so maybe I need to do that. I would like to buy used but hard to tell given the size and geometry of those bikes. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, get fitted to start. But if you're 5"4, I would definitely be looking at XS and 48cm to start.

I'm 5'4", 31.5" inseam (yes, long) and ride fairly aggressively. Currently on a XS Liv Avow, last bike was a XS Shiv. My best friend is 5"8 and had a small Shiv, now has a 51 Felt IA. No way I would fit on those.
Last edited by: fate: Apr 30, 19 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow! That is great to know, thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jobrandes wrote:
So I can't find anyone in town who can do a pre-fit. They all will be happy to do a fit after a buy a bike, get it fitted for me, but doing a pre-fit so I can buy, that is the issue I am having. That said, your question is rough. I am 5'4", 30" insean, short torso. The Cervelo is a 51. The QR is a small. The Felt is a 51. And the Specialized is a Small. I am not sure about the reach or other geometry, again, I'm new to this. If you have suggestions, that would be great.

Thank you!

...if they won't pre-fit, I wouldn't trust them to post-fit, either. And for another reference point, I'm 5'11" with a longer torso and shorter legs than average, by a bit, and I'm on a 51 P2. An IA for me would also be a 51. My wife is 5'6", is on a 51 as well and can make it work, but should probably be on a 48.

I'd never tell you what size would work based on height over the internet, but I'd be shocked if a 51 was the best size for someone who's 5'4". It could be, but that's not the safe bet.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info. So, maybe dumb question, but how does one buy a used bike when there is no place in town to do a pre-fit? Really the option I see is to travel out of town to a Retul fitter or similar, correct? There are plenty LBS' in town that do bike fits but it's the Giant store, the Trek store, the Specialized store etc. I want a non LBS who can recommend a brand based on geometry and I can't seem to find that here. If only I lived in the Bay Area still.....

Thanks for all this advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jobrandes wrote:
Thank you for the info. So, maybe dumb question, but how does one buy a used bike when there is no place in town to do a pre-fit? Really the option I see is to travel out of town to a Retul fitter or similar, correct? There are plenty LBS' in town that do bike fits but it's the Giant store, the Trek store, the Specialized store etc. I want a non LBS who can recommend a brand based on geometry and I can't seem to find that here. If only I lived in the Bay Area still.....

Thanks for all this advice!

Buying a used bike is a bit rougher if you don't know your fit coordinates and the right size per make and model, but think of it this way: if you don't know your size, you also can't really buy a new bike with any confidence. Can you travel to a place where you can get fit? It seems expensive in abstract, but if you can get a cheapie Southwest ticket to somewhere with a good fitter, spend a night in a La Quinta, and head home, you can be out just a weekend and a couple hundred bucks. That's much better than spending $3k on the wrong bike and then either trying to make it work or selling it and buying another.

For reference, I ride a 56 in most road bikes, and when I first tried a tri bike I got a 56 P3. That was a disaster; I was never comfortable and couldn't ride it well. When I got fitted properly and got on a 51, it was night and day and I love it. Buying the right bike is critical.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Yes, there is a Retul fitter about two hours away and a Guru fitter about four hours away so on a weekend I can make a trip and get a better idea. I'd much prefer that then, as you said, getting the wrong bike that I need to end up selling. A couple hour drive will be worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longtime reader of this forum, never been fit myself, but if that day comes, I'd have this article memorized:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html

Also, have you used these links?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/index.html

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Advice - can't decide [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for those links, that is great, I had not seen those before!
Last edited by: jobrandes: Apr 30, 19 14:26
Quote Reply