Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Potts in 2019 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's finally off Gatorskins? :)

milesthedog wrote:
The last couple of years, he hasn't dominated the swim like he did pre 2011. But, this last race showed him swim kind of like his old self.... but then he actually biked. From my perspective, he's always played the bike super conservatively. It did hurt his run in this last race.

But, is there a chance Potts is going to swim with Amberger and actually bike in Kona? Yes, he's the king of consistency in Kona, taking that crown from Lovato, Widoff but not quite Fernanda Keller territory, but man would it be nice to see Potts bike a bit closer to the B group.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Was this ever a big problem for him? I always thought he was a guy who appropriately held enough back on the swim despite the fact that he would still often lead...??? Maybe he has dialed it back even more for the swim?

There was an interview with him a few years ago where he explicitly said that first out of the water was no longer a priority. If you watch him at Kona he is backstroking half the time.

Also, he is the most consistent American at kona of his vintage. IIRC he has never finished outside of top 10?
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see him race AG and piss off the the 40-44 guys
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand but I always got the impression that he was first out of the water without exerting undue effort to make that happen. Maybe he was working harder than it looked.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 29, 19 4:37
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that thread. He really got scorched on ST for that one. Recall some people calculating how many minutes/seconds on the bike that cost him.

My thoughts were that Andy was risk adverse back then.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I'd like to see him race AG and piss off the the 40-44 guys

As long as he's not in your AG or mine...

Again, if this were golf, pros and ex-pros like Potts wouldn't need a qualifier. Many golf tournaments would be thrilled to have someone like him participate. IMO, I hope IMs get there someday so it doesn't cost an up and coming 40-44 guy a KQ. no pink intended

Some ex-pros are more like semi-pros as they've retained relationships and some sponsorship which is a huge advantage over a first time KQer. Let those ex-pros, who have WON IMs and the like in the past, get to Kona without taking a spot from someone.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats not to love. So everyone loves him and doesn't talk about him. ( proof, he didn't get killed for running the wrong tires, no disc and he wins an Ironman, no one says a word )

People talk, opinion and discuss issues they are 50 /50 on or want to convince people of the view points. ( Lionel, gear choices, running shoes, diets ) things that are not absolute.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next