Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cool start to full IM race. Layer up, or man up?
Quote | Reply
Doing IM Santa Rosa in two weeks, which looks like a cool start on the bike for the first few hours. Likely temp 50's first half of the bike, warming up to 60s-70s second half. Just curious what other folks do in similar IM race conditions, especially considering you'll likely ditch extra clothing you start with along the way (and lose them permanently), as well as taking into consideration any aero penalty from adding to your race kit. Tight jersey or jacket, vest, arm warmers? Or just grow a pair for the first few hours?
Quote Reply
Re: Cool start to full IM race. Layer up, or man up? [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 degrees is cold?
Quote Reply
Re: Cool start to full IM race. Layer up, or man up? [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on your size and wattage: a 110lb woman riding at 150W obviously need more clothe than a 200lb man at 250W.

Unless it is raining low 50s is my threshold for short-short. FWIW, I am 165-170lb and my IM wattage is 210-220W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can wear some arm warmers under your wetsuit and ditch them at an aid station when it warms up. There won't be any aero penalty for those - maybe even a benefit. And their not super expensive so... Or you could just stuff them in your pockets. They are small.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 29, 19 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some_devil wrote:
Doing IM Santa Rosa in two weeks, which looks like a cool start on the bike for the first few hours. Likely temp 50's first half of the bike, warming up to 60s-70s second half. Just curious what other folks do in similar IM race conditions, especially considering you'll likely ditch extra clothing you start with along the way (and lose them permanently), as well as taking into consideration any aero penalty from adding to your race kit. Tight jersey or jacket, vest, arm warmers? Or just grow a pair for the first few hours?

I am doing IMSR as well... I lean towards the "man up" category, but kinda depends on your goal intensity for the race. As a spoiled so-cal guy we this is typical spring weather, but I am also usually top 5-10 percent performance-wise most of the time, so I have found my intensity is usually enough to warm me up on the first 30-60 minutes on the bike for that kind of morning and I don't usually worry about layers. If you are a lot lower intensity output it might be chilly with numb toes for a while longer. On the other hand, upper 60's low 70's for the afternoon would be a damn near perfect day for the rest of it.

Other things to consider is if you are a slow swimmer you'll get on the bike course later, with slightly warmer temps, if you ride faster, you have more "wind chill," etc.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My toes and fingers tend to get cold during 70.3 and 140.6 swims.....so a cool weather trick that works for me. On race morning I open 2 packs of those Little Hotties- Hand Warmers, in T1, get them started and put one in each cycling shoe towards the toe and it warms that portion of each shoe during my swim. Just remember to dump them out before inserting toes!

I attach the other pair with rubber bands to the inside of each Aerobar grip towards my shifters so when I’m in aero position my fingers on each hand are getting warmed up during my ride. After fingers are warm I can dispose at next aid station or put in cycling jersey pocket for later.... I have also put them in the waistband of my trishorts on my lower back, later in my ride. A little heat on my lower back feels pretty good late in the day. Then again.....I am out there a lot longer than most.

CJ
Slow, Old Guy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just not do it :). This is why I only sign up for warm weather races. My minimum temp is 68 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different people feel the cold differently, or even at different times. I used to be fine in the cold, but wilt in the heat. Now I'm a few years older and a few kilos lighter and it's the other way.

Don't underestimate the energy you will use in 'keeping warm' or to go the other way, the additional fatigue from the cold. Armwarmers are great as you can stick them on quickly after the swim, and if it warms up then just roll them down and you're fine (I favour the castelli ones, but personal choice). IM New Zealand has a drop zone after the first lap where you can ditch the layer, and assuming it's got your race number written in it then it will be waiting with your bike when you finish the run.

Personally I've not ended up dropping anything, instead keeping the extra layer for the whole ride. Was an aero disaster, but I kept a gillet on over a cycling top (over my 2 piece tri-kit) and still did a top 20 bike split feeling really comfortable at fractionally below my target 230w pace. It's a long day, and it's all about the run. Staying warm on the first couple of hours of the bike is vital.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool start to full IM race. Layer up, or man up? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced IMSR last year and it was chilly. Right after the start though you climb a hill and I never thought again about it. My buddy used tube socks and dropped them as he was cheap. Valid point on warming a body up , for me it’s just one more thing. Bring warm clothes pre swim, your sitting around a lot and it’s cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Lake Placid 70.3 last September, the temp @ bike start was around 37F and there is a big descent about 5 miles in which exacerbates the wind chill. I wore a garbage bag under my kit for the swim and bike and ripped it off on mile 1 of the run (dropping it at that first aid station). I also put on gloves, arm warmers and a head warmer underneath my helmet and it was still cold, but bearable.

This could work for you but if the temps are in the 60's by end of the bike you will likely get too warm

Here is that thread from last year with some tips

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_bike%3F)_P6723167/

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your goal? I think different goals mean different clothing. When I went and watched IMFL in 2010 I remember it being in the 40s early in the morning and in the evening and I was cold. When I went down and did it the following year as my 1st ironman I wore a long sleeve shirt on the bike and thought it was perfect for it. 4 IM's later I did Vineman the one year ironman had it and was hoping to be competitive and I wore a tri suit. I don't remember being cold, but I think I would have dealt with it vs, wearing more layers. If I was doing my 1st IM again I still think I'd stick with the same clothing choices so I enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the time you run up the hill to T1, you’ll be warmed up and ready to go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote 'Man Up'. I'd look at it like I was riding to the warm. Sounds like it will be perfect conditions for the meat of the day. Only if grey skies and drizzle were the theme of the day might have me layer with a light rain top that I'd prob discard at an aid station later.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I purchased a cheap windbreaker that I could just throw away at an aid station once warm enough. I opted not to wear it and didn't notice the cold after the first climb as others have stated already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By 9am the temps will be pushing 60 degrees + sun with the current long term forecast ... the coldest part of the day will be the descent (after the climb off the bridge) at the beginning of the bike course.

Unless you typically get very cold, I believe a jersey over your wet tri top OR put on dry tri top / jersey + arm warmers and you'll be OK. If we have marine layer it will not be quite as cold BUT there will be no sun until mid morning.

Some Keys:
- Water temp + swim output + wetsuit type will have an impact on core temp starting the bike
- I think air temp will warm up quicker than what you are expecting unless the long term forecast changes
- As another post indicated, there is a very gradual climb with a slightly steeper finish starting at mile 4 which will help warm you.
- My suggestion for athletes right now beyond your tri-kit is; be sure to pack arm warmers, gloves, dry - snug jersey, toe covers (one could use a snug vest if needed but not sure that will be necessary for most)

Good Luck

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cool start to full IM race. Layer up, or man up? [gesekee19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That hill is no joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring clothes for pre race. I was freezing. We literally formed a warmth huddle with strangers. Lol

45-50 there isn’t 45-50 where I live... and I’m from Wisconsin! It feels really cold.

During the race, yes temps warm up to a beautiful day. Bike course through wine country is spectacular. Soak in the views.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Ironman Whistler in 2015, one of the coldest and wettest official Ironman races, i wore a very tight surf rashie. It was great and kept me warm even though i was wet and it was a lot more aero than a billowy vest or jacket. You could get a thick piece of plastic to stuff in the front of tri top and arm warmers as an alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some_devil wrote:

Depends on water temp, wind, wind temp etc

Generally if doing a training ride in 50s, I would just ride with normal bibs, short sleeved top, no gloves. Cold for 20mins then fine. I've raced in mid 55s and I was fine. A little cold on the bike until my suit dryed out. The coldest I raced (and I don't feel the cold) was 40F (Western Australia). That was shit. We were standing in the water at the start as the sand was so cold. It warmed up to mid 70s, but it wasn't until mid way through the run, my toes thawed out. No-one wore anything extra and a few people, including one of the pros were hospitalised because of hypothermia. If I was to race in temps again, I'd probably try and find something warmer to wear on the bike as long as performance wasn't compromised. I reckon my cut off would be 47/48 before I started thinking of wearing additional clothes.
Quote Reply