Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also don't disagree with anything you said, I think we are using the term "drills' differently. I was brought up to believe that drills were not supposed to be 'work', quite the opposite (except for some of the sculling drills- those sucked the life out of you). Drills were supposed to be a portion of the stroke/ kick broken down so you can feel what that part of the movement was supposed to feel like. Then turn around and apply that movement/ feeling during the set.

On your main point, I couldn't agree more. I see far too many swimmers who just go through the motions of going back and forth without regard of either their pace or their technique.The single greatest teacher I ever had in the pool was when the guy in the next lane hit the wall before me. Nowadays, it's when the deck clock shows a time that's bigger than I expected.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
SpeedOfCourse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/...33&v=qiYPRklOqzA this guy knows what he is talking about - found it ty guys

I’m just quoting this for posterity. You linked to a Taren video and said that... I’m chuckling a little bit.

That wasn't lost on me either.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
When I was browsing around T26s site earlier today (out of curiosity more than anything else) that seems to be in line with Gerry’s thinking too. It seems from the site that hekinda lays out 2 “A” sessions a week which are the core practices, one “B” session which supplements the A sessions, and a C session which is a “technique and recovery “ practice. You do the B only if you are doing both A sessions, and the C as an optional 4th.

I couldn’t see the specifics of the workouts, I don’t think he’s a “no drills” guy, but it’s clear that putting in the work is more important to him than drills. I know that Joel Filliol and Paulo Sousa have a similar mindset.

I've listened to all of Gerry's podcast episodes. He's not necessarily a "no drills" guy, unless you're a triathlete or open water swimmer that hasn't been swimming their entire life and is swimming fewer than about 15 hours per week. So he's basically a "no drills" guy for the entirety of the triathlon community.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
When I was browsing around T26s site earlier today (out of curiosity more than anything else) that seems to be in line with Gerry’s thinking too. It seems from the site that hekinda lays out 2 “A” sessions a week which are the core practices, one “B” session which supplements the A sessions, and a C session which is a “technique and recovery “ practice. You do the B only if you are doing both A sessions, and the C as an optional 4th.

I couldn’t see the specifics of the workouts, I don’t think he’s a “no drills” guy, but it’s clear that putting in the work is more important to him than drills. I know that Joel Filliol and Paulo Sousa have a similar mindset.

In general correct as I understand it. I've been swimming with Gerry since late December after switching over from a more informal masters for the last ten years. I go 3 x per week, and it's structured as easier recovery Monday, I guess that's the C, which is 15 minutes shorter and about 1K less yards than the A sessions Wed and Friday. Saturday is I guess something in between as the B. I do not recall doing any drills in the A sessions, and some drills in the C but a pretty small amount.

For example last Monday was 3700 M with 4 x 100 fist drill, that was it for drills.
Workout (without intervals) was
4 x 200 as kick 50 / swim 50
400 pull 75%
400/300/200/100 pull increase effort by 5%
4 x 100 fist
5 x 100 80%
100 ez

Also depends on the time of year. In December/off season there is more of a focus on certain drills but they're very focused (i.e. on tautness and alignment than say one armed drills or catchup, haven't done any of those types of drills at T 26).

The really critical (and often unmentioned) component of drills is that the swimmer executes them perfectly and is able to integrate that into the full stroke. If the swimmer doesn't have someone (or a video capture system) providing direct feedback on this mechanism, it's dubious, at best, how useful a drill is actually going to be.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Right on cue from the man himself.

https://swimswam.com/...ith-gerry-rodrigues/

I'm kind of shocked that he says one hour per week "could be plenty of time in the water".

The balance between technical work and training is crucial, but is frequently do not achieve, “Many people swim one hour a week, which could be plenty of time in the water, but they don’t do very much volume in that hour. Many are doing stroke drills all the time and they become good drillers, but they don’t swim fast.”

I didn't read the article, but I've listened to all of his podcasts. His stance has unequivocally been that the typical AG triathlete needs at least two, 90min sessions in the pool per week (the "A" sessions referenced above), and the more frequent "touches" on the water per week, the better. He has discussed the rare situation where a highly adept swimmer would be better advised to spend time improving on their average bike/run instead of further improving on the swim. He suggested that they might only need one day per week in the pool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to stop scissor kicking? I started implementing 2-5x100 kb every session a few months ago and hoped that would fix it, but it doesn't. I can feel that my right leg is pulling upwards while my left leg is kicking down, but I haven't been able to fix it. I guess det main problem is that I don't know how it is supposed to feel.

And what's the best way to get the proper body alignment? I tried doing some swimming with a pb and a snorkel today, gluing my ankles together (don't have a band) and that literally set my core on fire. Don't know if that's the right way to do it, but it felt like a step in the right direction.

Man you swimmers must have an easy life....
Last edited by: Schnellinger: May 3, 19 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scissor kicking is USUALLY indicative of a problem with the pull (overrotation and cross over are the most common culprits) coupled with not activating the core.

The cure will depend on the cause.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
What is the best way to stop scissor kicking? I started implementing 2-5x100 every session a few months ago and hoped that would fix it, but it doesn't. I can feel that my right leg is pulling upwards while my left leg is kicking down, but I haven't been able to fix it. I guess det main problem is that I don't know how it is supposed to feel.

And what's the best way to get the proper body alignment? I tried doing some swimming with a pb and a snorkel today, gluing my ankles together (don't have a band) and that literally set my core on fire. Don't know if that's the right way to do it, but it felt like a step in the right direction.

Man you swimmers must have an easy life....

I think the pull buoy is quite useful to stop scissor kicking, and to teach proper "tautness" and alignment. I don't think you have to abso "glue" your ankles together but rather just keep them at 2-3 inches apart. If you keep the PB betw your thighs, I don't think your ankles can get very far apart. The fact that using the PB and the snorkel "set your core on fire" is pretty good evidence that you were previously not quite getting that core tight enough. I'm sure your core muscles will develop nicely now that you're getting them set up properly for swimming. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find the swim aid for the fist drill? [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shamelessly promoting myself but you don't need to go buy fancy equipment to do this, just flip your paddle upside down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhdKNgNklWY

Superfly Coaching
http://www.superflycoaching.com/eric

IL PIRATA VI GUARDA
Quote Reply

Prev Next