Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St George 70.3 tips and tricks
Quote | Reply
It's coming up in 6 days. What do I need to know about the course and the particulars of the race? My first time there, but raced in Nevada a number of times before (Rage, Silverman, etc) so I am familiar with the climate somewhat.

Thanks in advance, ST!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 tips and tricks [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone talks about how tough the bike course is at stg, but it's the run that ruins dreams. Don't kill yourself on snow canyon. Let those fools pass you. Then the first 4 miles of the run are uphill. Take it easy there so you can push the rest of the run, especially crushing the last 3 miles downhill. Otherwise you'll be walking and lose 30 minutes!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 tips and tricks [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lake will likely be between 57-60 degrees at most so be prepared to get in the water prior to splash your face and get acclimated. The bike is tough until you get to snow canyon then it gets tougher for 4.5 miles. The run is tough gaining a couple hundred feet in 4-5 miles. Last 3 miles are nice though. My tip would be to embrace the suck.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done every year of the race-
- nothing special to report on swim, great course, only 2 turns!

- nice downhill exit from transition, so very easy to get feet into shoes if you start with shoes in pedals. Don’t over do it on the early climb about 2 miles in, after that the course is very fast over the next several miles. There is a longer, moderate grade climb as you pass the access road to Sand Hallow, then a very fast downhill, lots of ups and downs. There is an out and back of a couple miles at starting about mile 37-38 that is a little tight due to the way the road is coned. First couple miles of Snow Canyon are only about 3-5%, but it starts getting steeper about 1/2 way, and steepest in the last mile. It does not let up until just before you exit the park for a 8 mile screaming fast descent on a well paved hiway that drops you onto the last 1.5 miles of the run course, then into transition.

- definitely dial it back for the 1st about 4 miles of the run, the next 5 miles have some very fast downhills if your legs are fresh, there is a hill repeat double out and back turn around, after the second turn around it is all uphill for about 1.5 miles, then all downhill to the finish. Those last four miles are crucial, if your legs are good you can fly- if they are shot you will suffer!

VERY LITTLE SHADE on the run course, and in the sun feels 20 degrees hotter than in the shade, plan accordingly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is beautiful, awesome backdrop and the water is pretty clear. The bike is probably over hyped, it is definitely not flat. The bike is pretty normal up and down, but definitely take snow canyon cautiously. Snow canyon is pretty long and the last stretch is the hardest part, but there's a nice downhill after that you can get your legs back while flying down it. As previously mentioned, the run has crushed a lot of dreams. The first 4 miles are uphill and they are legitimately up hill. If you survive through the halfway point of the run without really suffering you'll probably have a great finish.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for posting! Hope to be able to remember to keep my ego in check on the first half of the run!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply