Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

If you have a 4 wheel drive pick up/SUV with good clearance there is a road that goes from Cable Mill visitors center down to the tail of the dragon. Very cool drive.

You have something very wrong there.

Tail of the dragon is a well paved road that Motorcyclist and driving enthusiast like to drive. No need for good clearance.

https://tailofthedragon.com/

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Have you ever been to Dollywood or the GSMNP??? On weekends, this area can be HORRIBLE with the mass of people. Cars can be backed up for miles trying to get in to Dollywood, or to go thru Pigeon Forge to get to Gatlinburg and the park entrance. The weekdays are not as bad.

One of my favorite places to visit is Cade's Cove, a loop drive in the park. It is ten miles long, I believe, but so beautiful. On weekends, unless you get there really early, the line of cars waiting to get in to the Cade's Cove entrance can stretch for miles down the road. Again, it's awful. Sometimes, I'll park my car in one of the side parking areas, before the entrance, and then run the loop. You see so much more that way. One time, my family dropped me off so I could run, and they drove the loop. They were stuck in traffic so I beat them around the ten mile loop. I saw three bears while running and they did not see any (being stuck in traffic)

He Loves Disney, he will be fine at Dollywood

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Do yourself a favor and avoid downtown Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville.

You'll be better off walking (and cycling) and relaxing in the national park: Cades Cove, multiple trails & rivers at Elkmont campground, horseback riding, Newfound Gap, Clingman's Dome, Chimney Tops trail, Laurel Falls trail, Alum Caves Bluff trail, Mount LaConte trail... then over to Catalahoochee (sp?) campground & Mt Cammerer trail. There's a bear/animal rescue place near Elkmont that we haven't been to yet, but sounds cool. So much to do.

Get a cooler & pack lunch/dinner. Head up into the mountains & explore, eat, & chill.

Regarding the fires from a few years ago: You can still see some burned trees, but most of the vegetation has grown back & it's nice & green now.

Agreed. It could be Branson or Destin. Just a bunch of clutter. I also did not enjoy Dollywood.
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
ttocsmi wrote:
Do yourself a favor and avoid downtown Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville.

You'll be better off walking (and cycling) and relaxing in the national park: Cades Cove, multiple trails & rivers at Elkmont campground, horseback riding, Newfound Gap, Clingman's Dome, Chimney Tops trail, Laurel Falls trail, Alum Caves Bluff trail, Mount LaConte trail... then over to Catalahoochee (sp?) campground & Mt Cammerer trail. There's a bear/animal rescue place near Elkmont that we haven't been to yet, but sounds cool. So much to do.

Get a cooler & pack lunch/dinner. Head up into the mountains & explore, eat, & chill.

Regarding the fires from a few years ago: You can still see some burned trees, but most of the vegetation has grown back & it's nice & green now.

Agreed. It could be Branson or Destin. Just a bunch of clutter. I also did not enjoy Dollywood.

This X 100. I live in Knoxville, about an hour outside this hell hole, due to traffic alone. Most locals know to get to Walland, you go the back way. Its just too stressful, and that's with 6 lane traffic. Hike, bike, explore. But...go to the cheese cupboard. You will not regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:

If you have a 4 wheel drive pick up/SUV with good clearance there is a road that goes from Cable Mill visitors center down to the tail of the dragon. Very cool drive.

Tail of the dragon is a well paved road that Motorcyclist and driving enthusiast like to drive. No need for good clearance.

Only thing wrong is your reading comprehension. :)

The road comes out on the tail of the dragon, about halfway through.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:

Only thing wrong is your reading comprehension. :)

The road comes out on the tail of the dragon, about halfway through.

Wow, it really does suck.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Windy, I didn't pick up when you were going. Big difference in the experience. Draw a circle around Dollywood where a 5 or 6 hour drive would get you. Then add up how many people live in the circle and could make a 5 hour drive and share your experience. Parts of the year Great Smoky Park is a total shit show. I think 11 million visitors is about what they get each year. Probably 2x as many as any other Nat. Park. And there are lots of slow and winding roads to get you there as well.
Not saying good, bad or indifferent but be prepared to see lots of other folks there with you. GSMNP is a real gem of a place. Enjoy your stay.
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to review Dollywood. It is the most fucking homey place I've ever been. By the end of the day I was saying gosh instead of a string of expletives. When I asked where the beer was looked at me funny and reminded me this was a family park. Rides were fun. Food was good. Stores part was interesting. Cheap tickets. Lots of music and shows. All in all I'd go back and recommend to anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
never been fishing but since it's stocked I figure I'll catch something...

Anything else to do in the area?

Apply for a man card, maybe?

Never mind. It'll be denied anyway.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The Smokies and Dollywood [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

At what point have I ever indicated that fishing or nature is something I do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

At what point have I ever indicated that fishing or nature is something I do?

I don't believe you have.

There's probably a spa where you can get your beard lasered off. I hear that's a thing some...uh, men...do.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next