Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course?
Quote | Reply
It looked pretty serious, there was a lot of blood. The ambulance was there but while I could see her eyes open she was not moving. I seriously hope she is ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saw it too (before ambulance got there) - I hope so! I heard several people went down wonder if it was all those expansion joints - some of which went in the direction of travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
saw it too (before ambulance got there) - I hope so! I heard several people went down wonder if it was all those expansion joints - some of which went in the direction of travel.

Expansion joints??? That’s terrible they didn’t mark or set up cones to warn riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no ironman fanboi... but if roads are anything like they are around where I ride, they'd need to spray paint 111.5 miles of road surface in flouro yellow. Easier to mark the occational good bits which may just add up to 0.5 miles in total.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen first hand what expansion joints that run the same direction as the bike can do. Your bike goes from 20 to 0 instantly and throws you over the front pretty violently. Happened to my wife in a race and then half a dozen right after her. If those things are on the course, they should get marked or covered over.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I passed her as I was heading North on the toll road, she was Southbound. She was at the top of one of the over passes. Lots of blood. A few athletes stopped and were with her. A lot of blood running across the lane. It looked like a arm injury. It did not look like she was at one the expansion joints. It looked to me, like she fell or was bumped sideways and injured (broke?) her left arm. Maybe a compound fracture?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heavy traffic lap 2 of course along with some minor bumps in road.
Riders riding 3 across
I had to pass going into other lane of on coming bikers.
This was on south bound loop for 20 miles into the headwind.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I passed her as I was heading North on the toll road, she was Southbound. She was at the top of one of the over passes. Lots of blood. A few athletes stopped and were with her. A lot of blood running across the lane. It looked like a arm injury. It did not look like she was at one the expansion joints. It looked to me, like she fell or was bumped sideways and injured (broke?) her left arm. Maybe a compound fracture?

Jesus, that's horrible. I hope she is ok.....

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes this. They’d have to Mark most of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they did a good job of marking the course for areas needing caution. I don’t recall any bad expansion joints. There was one bad patch on the way back into town that was preceded with a warning sign and speed bump but before and after that I thought the roads were good.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone hear what happened to the woman down on the IMTX bike course? [mikealva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Don’t get me wrong and maybe the term expansion joint I’m incorrectly applying but the concrete lines in the direction of travel as well as some of those gaps around the overpasses. Tho perpendicular they still caused quite the bump and I had a buddy get a pinchflat (most likely) hitting one. Myself I was getting annoyed with the constant ba-dum by the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the lady on the pavement as well as I went by, she was not moving and had people there with her. I also saw a female in the lobby of the Marriott on Sunday morning with her arm in a soft cast and sling and some nasty looking road rash. Her English was not good, but I was able to communicate with her friend a little. I asked if she had crashed her bike, and her friend said yes, but she finished the race. I guess she had broken her finger. Not sure if this was the same person, but It sure could have been.
Quote Reply