Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ventura, CA living reccomendations
Quote | Reply
I've accepted a new job starting July 15 in Ventura and will be moving either there or one of the cities nearby (I like to keep my commute shorter than 30 min -- the office is right by the mission). Anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations on places to live? I'm a single (for the foreseeable future) recent college grad, probably willing to spend up to around $1500 a month. Areas of emphasis for me would be quiet/safe, good access to biking/running/pools or open water (sorry BLeP), and possibly walking distance to fun, non-exercise related places. Or if you just have any helpful tips about the area unrelated to housing I'd be happy to hear!
Quote Reply
Re: Ventura, CA living reccomendations [jschm13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jschm13 wrote:
I've accepted a new job starting July 15 in Ventura and will be moving either there or one of the cities nearby (I like to keep my commute shorter than 30 min -- the office is right by the mission). Anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations on places to live? I'm a single (for the foreseeable future) recent college grad, probably willing to spend up to around $1500 a month. Areas of emphasis for me would be quiet/safe, good access to biking/running/pools or open water (sorry BLeP), and possibly walking distance to fun, non-exercise related places. Or if you just have any helpful tips about the area unrelated to housing I'd be happy to hear!

First of all stay away from “the avenue” which is Ventura Avenue that runs parallel to Hwy 33. Very bad area.

Most commuter traffic goes north from Ventura in the morning toward Santa Barbara/Goleta (and south in the afternoon). You don’t want to be a part of that crap.

In Ventura close to downtown or the Pierpont area are nice. If you don’t want to live in Ventura proper I’d highly recommend Carpinteria. It’s a cool little beach town, super quiet and mellow and ticks all the boxes you’re looking and is about 15 minutes north of Ventura (you’ll be commuting opposite the masses).

I live in SB but go to Ventura a lot to surf and work. I’m not super familiar with all the residential neighborhoods there so you may find something nice that I did not mention.

But quite frankly Carpinteria would be perfect. You can even ride your bike to Ventura from there as there is a newish bike path along coast where you used to have to ride on the actual freeway.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure to take Ventura Highway in the sunshine.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Ventura, CA living reccomendations [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ventura highway is in LA.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll second Duffy. I lived in Newbury Park for 15 yrs which is a bit inland from Ventura but we kept our boat in Ventura. Newbury Park is really nice but pretty sleepy for a single person. Carpenteria would be perfect. Parts of Ventura are sketchy and others are really expensive. Oxnard is very sketchy. Ojai is cool but one way in and one way out - and expensive.

Hard to imagine a better spot than Carpenteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ojai's great too. The Avenue isn't as bad as Duffy makes it sound, it's pretty much the only affordable part of town left save for the East End.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventura, CA living reccomendations [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
Ojai's great too. The Avenue isn't as bad as Duffy makes it sound, it's pretty much the only affordable part of town left save for the East End.

Ojai is awesome but the commute is fucked to/from there.

Maybe I know a little more about what’s going on in the avenue area. It’s tweakerville.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Ventura, CA living reccomendations [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I’ll second Duffy. I lived in Newbury Park for 15 yrs which is a bit inland from Ventura but we kept our boat in Ventura. Newbury Park is really nice but pretty sleepy for a single person. Carpenteria would be perfect. Parts of Ventura are sketchy and others are really expensive. Oxnard is very sketchy. Ojai is cool but one way in and one way out - and expensive.

Hard to imagine a better spot than Carpenteria.

Hey, man...I was born in Oxnard. Apartment in La Colonia to be exact....

:)

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply