Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: House Size - ideal size and configuration [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently renting an older house in Japan. Its got a tatami room, tile roof, and low doorways that I constantly hit my head on when I first moved in (four years ago). Will try to raise a family here in the next few years I hope. Although it would be considered quite small by Western standards, its considered huge in Japan. Most of my friends live in small apartments. I've even got my own backyard garden. If I ever move back to Canada, I'm probably going to be happy living in a mobile home. Its all about perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: House Size - ideal size and configuration [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
I'm currently renting an older house in Japan. Its got a tatami room, tile roof, and low doorways that I constantly hit my head on when I first moved in (four years ago). Will try to raise a family here in the next few years I hope. Although it would be considered quite small by Western standards, its considered huge in Japan. Most of my friends live in small apartments. I've even got my own backyard garden. If I ever move back to Canada, I'm probably going to be happy living in a mobile home. Its all about perspective.

Never been to Japan but understand they live in small spaces by our standards. Heard some people call them space efficient while others call them rabbit hutches. As you say, its about perspective. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: House Size - ideal size and configuration [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
It always amazes me with friends that have become more affluent as they age and get the kids out of the house. Buy a bigger one for when the grandkids come once or twice a year. People can do what they want with their money, but just the upkeep on a McMansion would discourage me.

My brother brought up his kids in a typical medium size suburban house but then as they were becoming empty nesters his business really took off and he bought a 6,000 sq. ft house for the two of them. Pure craziness IMO opinion but the nice thing is that if I do a stay over visit I've got three or four spare bedrooms to chose from. :-) But he's finally getting wiser (and older) and downsizing.
Quote Reply
Re: House Size - ideal size and configuration [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I think one big factor is are you a hoarder of a bunch of crap or not.

My neighbor, his wife and a 2 year old has a 3 bed, 2 bath house 2100 sqf, but they don't know how to throw anything away, so they could probably use another 500sqf.

I have a buddy who is easily worth 10 million, he lives with a girlfriend in a real nice 1000 sqf house with zero clutter and loves it.
His mistake in my opinion is it only has one bathroom, he now tends to agree.
I think all adults should have their own bathroom.

This.

Back in the late 90's, I shot images for a major publication, focusing on a well known track athlete. At that time, because she was traveling so much, she lived with her mother in a 2-bedroom apartment. She credited the living with her mother success to each of them having their own bathroom.
Quote Reply

Prev Next