Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FBI/NCAA Trial [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
no major program is clean, football or basketball.

I guess that depends on what you define as "clean" and what you define as "major". I'm as cynical as they come, but I don't necessarily agree with that broad statement.

Sounds like something someone who is a fan of a school that got caught would say - "but, but, but...everyone else is doing it". I remember after the UNC academic fraud scandal a bunch of my tarheel friends were saying this sort of thing - "hey, everyone else is doing it, we just got caught". No I don't think everyone else is creating fraudulent classes that every member the basketball team is enrolled in.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: FBI/NCAA Trial [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

I guess that depends on what you define as "clean" and what you define as "major". I'm as cynical as they come, but I don't necessarily agree with that broad statement.

Sounds like something someone who is a fan of a school that got caught would say - "but, but, but...everyone else is doing it". I remember after the UNC academic fraud scandal a bunch of my tarheel friends were saying this sort of thing - "hey, everyone else is doing it, we just got caught". No I don't think everyone else is creating fraudulent classes that every member the basketball team is enrolled in.

There may be some high level conference teams that are doing the right thing. UVa is probably one of them. But by and large, there is too much money at risk. I think it is naive for any person to think their teams are totally clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
jepvb wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

There may be some high level conference teams that are doing the right thing. UVa is probably one of them. But by and large, there is too much money at risk. I think it is naive for any person to think their teams are totally clean.

I don't disagree that there is a huge incentive to cheat, but I think there are coaches and schools who are trying to run their programs by the book. I'm happy UVA appears to be one of those schools, but that is largely dependent on who the coach is. Things could change. I think Jay Wright at 'Nova is another one who appears to run a clean program and has also won at the highest level.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCLA just offered to double Jay's Nova salary to jump ship... $8 million, as much as Cal. He said no thanks.

GFY UCLA, you gonna have to pry Jay Wright from the NovaNation's cold dead hands.
Quote Reply
Re: FBI/NCAA Trial [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hbog12 wrote:
UCLA just offered to double Jay's Nova salary to jump ship... $8 million, as much as Cal. He said no thanks.

GFY UCLA, you gonna have to pry Jay Wright from the NovaNation's cold dead hands.

Did you see the LA Times article about the UCLA hire? None of UCLA's top choices wanted to leave their current school - Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, etc. My how the mighty have fallen. Can you imagine any coach of UVA or 'Nova in the past turning down a job offer from UCLA for way more money??? And Rick Barnes looks terrible in this story. Tried to re-trade after a deal was made and UCLA told him to go pound sand. If I'm a UT fan I'd be pissed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
hbog12 wrote:

Did you see the LA Times article about the UCLA hire? None of UCLA's top choices wanted to leave their current school - Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, etc. My how the mighty have fallen. Can you imagine any coach of UVA or 'Nova in the past turning down a job offer from UCLA for way more money??? And Rick Barnes looks terrible in this story. Tried to re-trade after a deal was made and UCLA told him to go pound sand. If I'm a UT fan I'd be pissed.

20+ year season BBall ticket holder here. Not pissed. We did what we had to do. How soon people forget our football fiasco over the last 2 decades (kiff' leaving in the middle of the night; dooley hire; buddy boi butch, and of course the greg schiano fiasco). So pissed is not the word, but disappointed. Expectations are very high here. Also, must be under a rock right now. I thought UCLA got the Cincy coach.
Quote Reply
Re: FBI/NCAA Trial [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satchmo wrote:
jepvb wrote:
hbog12 wrote:

20+ year season BBall ticket holder here. Not pissed. We did what we had to do. How soon people forget our football fiasco over the last 2 decades (kiff' leaving in the middle of the night; dooley hire; buddy boi butch, and of course the greg schiano fiasco). So pissed is not the word, but disappointed. Expectations are very high here. Also, must be under a rock right now. I thought UCLA got the Cincy coach.

Didn't mean I'd be pissed at the school, but I would be pissed at Barnes. I realize coaches take new jobs all the time, but not the most endearing thing to fans to be halfway out the door to another job and then come crawling back when your scheme to milk more money out of UCLA backfires.

Barnes can coach though - he has won everywhere he has been.

Correct - UCLA hired Cronin from Cincy - he appears to have been about their 10th choice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cal used the UCLA offer to force Kentucky to match it. Cal now gets $8 million courtesy of UCLA's attempt to buy the best.

I saw "the list" and indeed many on it including Tony. Funny it says they started with 60 but quickly got down to a handful due to "poor character or programs issues". I don't blame UCLA for doing what they did.

So happy that Nova is more than just a (very nice $3.8 mil) paycheck for Jay. I imagine the pressure at UCLA would be enormous, compared to us, a private, small, Catholic school run by monks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most college basketball hijinx are funneled through AAU connections so it's possible that the school is "clean" while the recruiting really isn't, if that makes sense. I think most people realize this.

AAU is a blight on college basketball and the NCAA could fix it in a moment by banning their coaches from attending AAU events. But for some reason they don't........................ I'm left assuming the coaches would throw a fit should that happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, you guys are still in the running for Johnny Juzang. Seems like a quality student and player. Hope you land him. We fell out of his final 4 last week, but hey, we have 2 McD's / 5 stars coming next year already.

And also, thanks to TB for nixing the visit to DC for some top notch food aka the royale with cheese, fries and nuggets courtesy of he who shall not be named. It didn't even invite us last year after the championship. We did get Obama in 2016 though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hbog12 wrote:
BTW, you guys are still in the running for Johnny Juzang. Seems like a quality student and player. Hope you land him. We fell out of his final 4 last week, but hey, we have 2 McD's / 5 stars coming next year already.

And also, thanks to TB for nixing the visit to DC for some top notch food aka the royale with cheese, fries and nuggets courtesy of he who shall not be named. It didn't even invite us last year after the championship. We did get Obama in 2016 though.

Hope we get Juzang but my gut tells me he is going to UK. Who knows though, now that we broke through with the win this year maybe things will change and we can land the occasional 5-star.

Apparently CTB pre-empted any WH invite, which hadn't officially come yet. Our 3 best players are gone and weren't gonna alter draft training to come do a meet and greet with the Donald.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hbog12 wrote:
Cal used the UCLA offer to force Kentucky to match it. Cal now gets $8 million courtesy of UCLA's attempt to buy the best.

Cal was already making north of $9M per year before the UCLA offer. UCLA actually offered him less than he was making at UK. What Cal did do was parlay that into a lifetime contract at UK, whatever that means.
Quote Reply
Re: FBI/NCAA Trial [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest revelation - apparently Deandre Ayton was on salary during his time at Arizona.

http://www.espn.com/...-10k-per-month-Ayton

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Reply

Prev Next