Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NFL Draft [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Devin Bush was the best available player at a position of need for the Broncos and they traded back. Elway is horrific in draft. It wasn't for bringing in Peyton Manning he would have been fired two years ago.

Yeah, I was surprised that the Steelers were able to make that trade with them.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
1) Why can't the NFL conduct the draft in a day, or two? Rhetorical, we all know the answer.

Because we then wouldn't have the huge party we had last night (and tonight and tomorrow).

I was down there last night and it was quite fun. Yes, there were LOTS of people there but they had it really well organized and after hearing dire warnings of expensive Uber/Lyft charges, I paid $6 each way with no wait. Here's what I posted last night.

What a fun time! I love football 🏈. As much as hockey. In fact I had Titans season tickets before I had Preds season tickets. And I’m downtown every single day in the crowds so I don’t get wigged out about the crowds. I have to admit they had it very very well organized.

I had a ticket to go to the VIP area but I didn’t since I would’ve had to been there way too early. Instead, I put on my Patrick Mahomes T-shirt and took my Packers sweatshirt and headed out to hang with the masses.

I walked around checking out the crowds and then went to The Stage [one of the honky tonks]. I went from there over to the new Downtown Sporting Club which is GREAT!!!!!! I know my new hangout place.

After that I went and got some Slim & Huskies Pizza and met my across the street neighbor, one of the owners of S&H. Ate my pizza and then went back to The Stage and hung out with Packers fans, including Braden Gall’s [my friend who is a sports radio morning show host] dad. Chatted with the 102.5 The Game boys [said sports radio station]. Fun time!!

The Packers fans I sat with were all "wait and see" on the Packers picks. Titans fans are a little surprised on our pick since they are usually more conservative. No picks for the Chiefs last night, so I headed home after the first Packers pick.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to give the NFL credit where credit is due. They've managed to make football a conversation year round and the draft a big party.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got me a little worried, Eagles...

All the off-season signings on offense. First three picks in the draft on offense.

How about we mix in a CB and LB?
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Josh Rosen is now a Dolphin.... hmmm...

The Jets have Darnold, Bills have Allen and Phins have Rosen. 3 of the 5 first rounders of 2018 in AFC East. Hopefully we have a Jim Kelly & Dan Marino situation again.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Packers reached and Guty looked like a rookie at the draft.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
So Josh Rosen is now a Dolphin.... hmmm...

The Jets have Darnold, Bills have Allen and Phins have Rosen. 3 of the 5 first rounders of 2018 in AFC East. Hopefully we have a Jim Kelly & Dan Marino situation again.

so no super bowl wins then?
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Packers reached and Guty looked like a rookie at the draft.

They are going to regret picking Gary that high. College production just wasn’t there, but he’s going suddenly become great in the pros?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love listening to Braden Gall when he is on SiriusXM ESPNU. Unfortunately, he's not on there nearly enough.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kyler Murray and I have two things in common:

1) We're both 5'10"
2) We both won't do crap in the NFL

Are we the only two people in the country that see this? If I hear one more "expert" talking about the new direction football is going I am going to throw a brick at my TV.

He's going to take his number one draft money and endorsements then be a bust and go play baseball
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
I love listening to Braden Gall when he is on SiriusXM ESPNU. Unfortunately, he's not on there nearly enough.

He and Jason Fitz used to be the 6-10AM show here until Fitzie got scooped up by ESPN. Their show was the best and both are super nice guys. Now Braden is on with D-Mace (Derrick Mason, former Titan/Ravens) and Nick Kayal (jackwad from Philly).

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
Damn. Did the Bills win the off-season again? Three-peat!?!?!

Ed Oliver falling to #9 was a gift. I look forward to seeing him in division games where he stuffs L'e'v'e'o'n' Bell, sacks Tom Brady, and... claps encouragingly as the Dolphins self-destruct.

Go Bills!

Relatedly, the Pats went WR in the first round for the first time since Belichick has been with the team. Harry seems legit, I really hadn't seen much of him but he's a big dude, great route runner, good hands, can catch the jump ball. Seems like a tailor-made Patriots WR and they badly need some talent at that position. Belichick's draft history with WR's is underwhelming to say the least but this kid looks good, and a good roster fit.

I'm guessing Gordon will be back next season as well. So, that could be an interesting bunch of receivers. Curious to see how TE will evolve though.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From today’s news. And with far fewer crowd problems than a typical Nashvillle - Chicago hockey Saturday night or any NFL game when Philly comes to town. I will be glad to be able to drive to work tomorrow with no issues.

It’s official: Nashville hosted a record-breaking weekend for the NFL Draft, according to attendance figures announced Saturday by the league.

Music City welcomed an estimated 600,000 draft-goers across the three-day event, said Brian McCarthy, the National Football League vice president of communications.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Relatedly, the Pats went WR in the first round for the first time since Belichick has been with the team. Harry seems legit, I really hadn't seen much of him but he's a big dude, great route runner, good hands, can catch the jump ball. Seems like a tailor-made Patriots WR and they badly need some talent at that position. Belichick's draft history with WR's is underwhelming to say the least but this kid looks good, and a good roster fit.

I'm guessing Gordon will be back next season as well. So, that could be an interesting bunch of receivers. Curious to see how TE will evolve though.
It's a strange mix of talent they have right now. Their hands were tied w/ Gronk announcing so late in the FA game so they weren't able to land any of the better TE's, but it's odd they haven't done much about it. They have a very strong set of RB's and added depth in the draft, their line looks like it'll be very good and fairly deep (again with a few additions in the draft) and I'm really liking the possibilities at WR even if it seems it'll be trial by fire most of the year. They just don't have much talent at TE right now, and Belichick puts huge stock in that position; he loves the versatility that a good blocking+receiving TE brings to the offense and he doesn't have that at all. Do they just become a more one-dimensional offense based on personnel on the field and hope talent and scheme wins out? WE'll see, either way this roster looks very strong after the draft, with TE a glaring weakness right now.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The QB pick is interesting too. I was sure they were going to go for Will Grier. Stidham is an interesting choice though.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Hoyer lose second spot.

And I think there is a reasonable chance that Grier replaces Cam Newton this year. Calling it early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
From today’s news. And with far fewer crowd problems than a typical Nashvillle - Chicago hockey Saturday night or any NFL game when Philly comes to town. I will be glad to be able to drive to work tomorrow with no issues.

It’s official: Nashville hosted a record-breaking weekend for the NFL Draft, according to attendance figures announced Saturday by the league.

Music City welcomed an estimated 600,000 draft-goers across the three-day event, said Brian McCarthy, the National Football League vice president of communications.

I would like to know what percentage of the 600,000 were men? Seems like it would be a great men's getaway not that women don't love the NFL too...

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I would like to know what percentage of the 600,000 were men? Seems like it would be a great men's getaway not that women don't love the NFL too...

It is hard for me to imagine even a fraction of those 600k attending the draft, so it makes you wonder what they were doing. I'm sure the local businesses enjoyed the boom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

Just from walking around I would put it at about 60/40 M/F. There were groups of what you could tell were dudes weekends, but also lots of couples, and a few bachelorette groups that didn’t get the memo about the draft. But also the news interviewed at least one bachelorette group who came specifically for the draft. There were also lots of families because they had the NFL Draft Experience area too with lots for the kids to do.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply

Prev Next