Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not a proponent of the death penalty, but I'll make an exception tonight [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Oh, and the prosecutor's excuse when asked about the lack of evidence........"God told me that this guy did it and to have faith we were going to execute the right guy someday."

Let that one sink in for a bit. We're not getting it right. Have proven time and again that we can't be trusted as humans to dole out this punishment.

However much sometimes even I think we should dole it out, knowing some of the things we know.........we can't be trusted with it.

We obviously don't need to be trusted with it if God (assuming it's this particular god) has the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a proponent of the death penalty, but I'll make an exception tonight [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Watching a doc the other night.

You realize that documentary films aren’t sources of news and that they are, at best, fiction by omission?

Do you have any actual news sources that corroborated the claims in the documentary?

Making a Murderer is a perfect example of fiction by omission.
Quote Reply
Re: Not a proponent of the death penalty, but I'll make an exception tonight [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Watching a doc the other night.

You realize that documentary films aren’t sources of news and that they are, at best, fiction by omission?

Do you have any actual news sources that corroborated the claims in the documentary?

It's OK to question the validity of something that's not really into the details. I'm not going to convince hardcore pro death penalty folks by a Netflix doc. If anything, it's confirmation bias. So no, I'm not even going to bother.

But, there are plenty of exonerations of both lifers and DP folks that have been in the news the past few years. People can claim "that's the system getting it ultimately right" all they want. But it often ends up taking a determined prisoner and someone extra advocating on the outside to get to the outcome. Left to the state, the person would be dead and gone or never see parole.

I do not trust the state whatsoever to get it right. Or the jury that's watched too much CSI and either fell for the crime lab's jaded view.......OR they expect too much and won't convict someone who they've pretty much got on video and DNA doing it. Wellllll, there is that one in a zillion fake twin out there somewhere.....
Quote Reply
Re: Not a proponent of the death penalty, but I'll make an exception tonight [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I do not trust the state whatsoever...

Me neither. And not just with capital punishment.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next