Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's talk about sleep position.....
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else have trouble with shoulder/arm pain after sleeping? I have recently had shoulder pain ( not so much sharp or range of motion reducing) just an achy pain focused more toward the rear.....but that doesn't matter for my question. I find that how I sleep affects this and my arm wrist will sometimes hurt as well depending on the way I slept that night. I tend to sleep with either my arms over my head or laying on my right shoulder with my arm sticking out. Once in a while I curl my wrist under my chin and sleep as well. I think these are all causing me problems and am trying to force myself to sleep on my back with arms at my sides but it is hard!!!!

Anyone else have sleep position issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about sleep position..... [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I occasionally wake up with a dead arm too. First time that happened it was super scary, I didn't know what was going on.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about sleep position..... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One morning, I must've rolled over onto my stomach while sleeping, and BOTH my arms were dead; couldn't move them at all

It was struggle when the alarm went off, let me tell you

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used to have bad shoulder problems from team sports. i used to sleep on my stomach with arms above my head. one morning i woke up to a dislocated shoulder. that was no fun... i’ve since had surgery but i try not to sleep with arms above my head. i can’t sleep on my back, i end up laying awake for most of the night.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about sleep position..... [lhmd21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a struggle for real. I'm just tired of my shoulder hurting....it doesn't really hurt swimming but it is still frustrating. Biggest shoulder pain limiter is aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have struggled with shoulder pain as well (a "pressure point" so to speak while sleeping on my side) and considering a new mattress. Are you due for a new mattress? That could be part of the problem.

I can only fall asleep on my side but I find that I wake up on my back, so I think my body detects this discomfort and moves to my back to eliminate those pressure points.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, side sleeper preference so shoulder hurts....so I have to adjust during night. Other side sleep and back. Gets worse the older you get. Use body pillow and when on back a cushion for leg lift. Both help. Ben greenfield had recentpodcast on by chironwho discussed this topic and had a product to sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be the mattress, I find that certain pillows are better for my shoulder than others.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be a side sleeper. Forced myself to sleep on my back for a while and now that's my natural position. I find it also eliminates tossing and turning at night since nothing goes numb or gets uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to side sleep and have found that having at least 3 or 4 pillows strategically placed is the key to protecting the shoulder. One goes between knees, one under head, and one in front to drape top arm over. Then maybe another one to position to take stress off the under arm that is usually stretched out straight. But occasionally still get some pain if it is not exactly right, and you dont know sometimes right away..Play around with that for awhile, you will find a good mix eventually..
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about sleep position..... [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
I have struggled with shoulder pain as well (a "pressure point" so to speak while sleeping on my side) and considering a new mattress. Are you due for a new mattress? That could be part of the problem.

I can only fall asleep on my side but I find that I wake up on my back, so I think my body detects this discomfort and moves to my back to eliminate those pressure points.

Agreed this could certainly be a part of this issue. A quality mattress for your personal sleeping style is some seriously good bang for the buck in my mind. That is an everyday recovery tool and not worth cheaping out on or using something old and deformed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider your pillow, as all this referee pain down the arm makes me think neck first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former side sleeper here. Fell asleep one night with an arm slightly askew. Woke up in excruciating pain. Was a strained rotator cuff. Not good 3 weeks before an IM. It was so painful that I would wake up several times a night in pain. I slept on my back for over a year. Just started to sleep on my side some but am very conscious to ensure my shoulder isn’t stressed.
Teach yourself to sleep on your back. It is a great tool for the holster.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about sleep position..... [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah we are looking at new pillows and a mattress i kept saying no to my wife bit now im on board that it affects me lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Its a struggle for real. I'm just tired of my shoulder hurting....it doesn't really hurt swimming but it is still frustrating. Biggest shoulder pain limiter is aero position.

I’ve just been diagnosed with an extensive tear in the labrum in my left shoulder. It’s been causing a lot of pain and numbness especially when sleeping and in aero position. I don’t really notice it swimming, other than the small limitation in motion. Really only caught onto it because it progressed to the point where I lost feeling and strength in that arm, and lost muscle mass and use of my lats. Could be something completely different, but interesting that I suffered the pain during sleeping and aero position as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk about sleep position..... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being side sleeper do your back muscles (quadratus lumborum or obliques) get tight during night? My down side side seems always tight and have firm mattress? It's heck getting older.
Quote Reply