Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to proceed with my tibial stress reactions problem
Quote | Reply
Hi everybody, I am in a difficult situation. I got stress reactions in both tibia on the anterior that were originally caused by working a double shift at my restaurant and then working again the next day and the following day without rest in between. So basically I did one double shift and got an original diagnosis by MRI of "subtle" in one leg and "very subtle" stress reaction in the other. Then it got much better and two weeks later I did one more double shift, and the pain got significantly worse.

Two months later, after doctors telling me it was ok to work, I worked a little bit here and there with a boot on one leg and the stress reactions did not get better. I don't think they really got much worse, but they are not healing. I am really frustrated and finally told my job I need three weeks off with a doc note. I have rested five days and don't feel like the pain is better. I don't know what to do with my job if it doesn't heal in three weeks. Part of the problem is the MRI is old and doesn't reflect the injury worsening after the 2nd double shift, and my current doc won't order a second MRI. All the orthos I have seen have said there's no way a second double shift would be enough to turn it into a stress fracture. I really don't want to lose my job if I have to stay out longer. What would you guys do?
Quote Reply
Re: How to proceed with my tibial stress reactions problem [cranberry12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tib/Fib fractures can take a long time to heal.

They probably don't want to order an MRI because it wouldn't tell them anything they don't know nor would it change the course of treatment. Which is really...just rest until it heals. If they did an MRI and found another fracture it would change nothing. Except you would know that you have another fracture.

Unless you have something abnormal that is causing brittle bones or referred pain, the best thing you can do is wait and rest. Having had a fibular stress reaction that NEVER seemed to heal and took way longer than everyone said. I understand your frustration. I kept wanting more MRIs to see "where it was at" but that's just not what it was for.

I finally had a doctor do an ultrasound on it just so I could see that it was still the same fracture healing up.

I'll say again, because it sucks to hear it but it's the best advice. Just rest and be patient.
Quote Reply
Re: How to proceed with my tibial stress reactions problem [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Just rest and be patient.

Not very helpful if the OPer is going to lose his/her job over this. Restaurant work doesn't really allow for "resting" when you're on your feet.

Cranberry - can you cut back on your schedule a little? And then do NOTHING when you aren't working? Sorry to hear this.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to proceed with my tibial stress reactions problem [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Quote:
Just rest and be patient.

Not very helpful if the OPer is going to lose his/her job over this. Restaurant work doesn't really allow for "resting" when you're on your feet.

Cranberry - can you cut back on your schedule a little? And then do NOTHING when you aren't working? Sorry to hear this.

As I said, it sucks. But nothing but rest at this phase in the game is going to help. They're not going to give him a bone stimulator and another MRI won't help. If you have a job where you MUST be on your feet then your best bet is FMLA if you're int he US.

Turns out broken bones need to heal.
Quote Reply