Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already
Quote | Reply
been to kauai, ohau, and maui. i liked kauai the best because of the hikes when i was there 2012. It it worth going to the big island just because i havent been there yet or should i go back to Kauai? i would like to see the volcano on big island but are the hikes, waterfalls, etc as good as Kauai?
Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Island is different.

I have a condo there.

I love it. Others like the other islands more.

Big island is ALIVE.

Hike schmike. Go out into the lava fields and feel the place breathe.

See a volcano.

Go to Hilo and have Spam sushi.

Look at the stars.

The island speaks to you. Many just don’t hear what it’s saying...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Island is definitely my favorite with Kauai second (but have never spent time on Oahu- have been to Maui.)

If you love waterfalls and don’t require super posh resorts I highly recommend this place. The resort cat may try to sleep with you and you might find some bugs. You will also SUP to the base of a massive waterfall meet really interesting people while having a great happy hour and crack fresh macadamia nuts to eat.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/...f_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Waking up crazy early and renting bikes to ride out to and hike on the lava fields with lava glowing is amazing.

The manta ray dive/ snorkel is awesome.

Snorkeling off shore with turtles and dolphins and coral reefs is so much fun.

If you like Kauai I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We loved the Big Island. We spent a few days in Volcanoes NP, then a few days at the beach. Loved all of it! I’ve been to Maui and Oahu as well and think it’s definitely worth going to.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Island is my favorite. Love that place.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to the folks telling you to go to the Big Island. There's a lot to do there, plenty of variety and some things you just can't do on the other islands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only been to Kauai and Big Island. It's the reverse of what I expected. Kauai is the oldest island geologically, Big Island the youngest. But Kauai to me was much more jagged and wild, where a lot of Big Island is more eroded and smoothed, very large expanses of grassland, not too far in feel from parts of Scotland.

The areas around the active volcanoes, Mauna Loa and Volcano National Park, are not, there you get the sense of the earth still under construction. I was there over a year ago, so I don't know what trails and roads are still accessible, but pre-eruption it was way worth visiting, lots of trails. Go at night to Volcano National Park if they still do that. Just to stand and watch the glow from the caldera was a connection to the physicality of our planet that is rare to experience for me.

Along those lines, the upper slopes of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea give that same connection. It could be 70 and sunny, it could be snowing. Sometimes within the same hour. The island does what it does, I'm fascinated by it.

There is a loneliness on the Big Island that I found very appealing. There are areas where you'll hardly see anybody else. The population is much less dense, so nowhere near as many strip malls, etc. with which we have desecrated so much of the continental US. Excepting Kailua-Kona, which personally I would escape from as quickly as possible. Hilo as mentioned above is a good bit smaller, quirkier, and interesting.

I liked Kauai a lot as well, and I was really bummed that our helicopter tour of the north quadrant where there are no roads was cancelled due to weather, I would still love to do that. But if someone offered to pay my way and I could only choose one island, it would be the Big Island.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Island ==> YES

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
There is a loneliness on the Big Island that I found very appealing. There are areas where you'll hardly see anybody else. The population is much less dense, so nowhere near as many strip malls, etc. with which we have desecrated so much of the continental US. Excepting Kailua-Kona, which personally I would escape from as quickly as possible. Hilo as mentioned above is a good bit smaller, quirkier, and interesting.
Just be a little careful exploring some of those "less dense" areas Haole.
Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
ergopower wrote:
Just be a little careful exploring some of those "less dense" areas Haole.

^^^^^ that is funny but also very true
Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The manta ray dive/ snorkel is awesome.

About that manta snorkel (at the Sheraton)...we just paddled out at Keauhou bay on surf boards with our masks and got the see the show for free. You can paddle from the boat launch or you can cut that paddle in half by launching from a rocky little step off about halfway up the bay.

Park on Ehukai and take the path that passes by the Hertz car rental office. Once you’re in the water you will know where to go. Wear a glow stick!

In this pic you can see the car rental office just right of center (blue circle with car icon). Just up and very slightly left at water’s edge there’s a light colored sticky outy thing, that’s the jump off.

Mantas are off the point on left side of frame.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not been to lanai but have been to Molokai. I would say it was my favorite. It is quite undeveloped and you would likely benefit from a local showing you places.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I have not been to lanai but have been to Molokai. I would say it was my favorite. It is quite undeveloped and you would likely benefit from a local showing you places.

Lanai is awesome. Spent 2 weeks sitting on the beach from sun up to about 4:00pm waiting for spinner dolphins to show up so could photograph them and get paid. On day 14 3 hours before my flight out they finally showed up.

Great place to slow your pace.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: is the big island worth going to, based on being to the other three already [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
len wrote:

Lanai is awesome. Spent 2 weeks sitting on the beach from sun up to about 4:00pm waiting for spinner dolphins to show up so could photograph them and get paid. On day 14 3 hours before my flight out they finally showed up.

Great place to slow your pace.

The condo we stayed at didn’t have a beach or good water access, but the dolphins went nuts every day just off shore. We were probably 2 miles from downtown Kona. It was amazing!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply