Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
drm437 wrote:

The point that both cyclists and rowers are notorious dopers..,at least historically and that he’s done both at a high level?

As a former rower and current cyclist, it's not even in the same realm of notoriety. Rowers are not "notorious dopers." For hard data, USADA has sanctioned 7 rowers since 2009. Cyclists? Around 160. (by my rough count).

East German / USSR rowing back in the 70's-80's. Sure. Today, not that much notoriety. I have no recollection of an Australian rower ever having been sanctioned for doping (there could be, just none comes to mind).

I suppose notorious wrt rowing is wrong. This is entirely heresay, I’ll grant you that, but I had a trainer who was on the Hungarian rowing team (although she may have been Canoe, this was 15 years ago) who swore to me that rowing, canoeing, and kayaking were rife with PEDs. It’s entirely possible this was sour grapes on her part as she never won anything, but she seemed believable.

Your right though, notorious was not the right descriptor.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
PJC wrote:
oscaro wrote:
According to trirating the previous record was 8:14 and he broke it by 8 min

trirating is wrong
His time of eight hours, six minutes and 17 seconds just beat the event record of 8:06:39, set by Finnish legend Pauli Kiuru on the old Forster course in 1992.

I believe trirating is using the record for the current course, which was 8:14, not the '92 record on the old course. Opinions may vary but I think using the record for the current course is best. :)

Ironman said he broke the course record. They own the sport and the record books.

If they say he broke the course record. He broke the record.

It’s like the any event in the Olympics. The IOC ratify world records. It’s their sport. Their rules.
Ironman is no different.

The IOC doesn't ratify world records.

In athletics, it's the IAAF. If an Olympic marathon course was set that's not compliant with IAAF standards, no records can be set on that course, whatever the sway of the IOC.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised. I used to be coached by a former Romanian and then East German who broadly said, 'if you are the first in my program to take drugs, you will be suspended. And then I will be the man to kill you'.
He'd been in Australia for about 25 years at that point, but the attitude to PEDs in Australia and the UK (the two systems I was exposed to) is hugely against, and tested a lot. On institute programs, I'd normally have had 2-4 OOC test per year, and the occasional in comp - even as a fringe guy who never made a senior NT and wasn't on full whereabouts.

There are national programs I'm suspicious of - hard not to when athletes come out of nowhere and then disappear and when it has affected people who were near and dear to me - but broadly I think it's a pretty boring and down the line sport, in a good way.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:

The IOC doesn't ratify world records.

In athletics, it's the IAAF. If an Olympic marathon course was set that's not compliant with IAAF standards, no records can be set on that course, whatever the sway of the IOC.

correct. The owners of the SPORT ratify the World Record. Not some keyboard hero on slowtwits.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Was it under Kerrisons tutelage that a clean Froome beat the Lance/Pantani record up Ventoux by 35 seconds?

I thought the Ventoux record was set by Iban Mayo during the Dauphine Libere ventoux stage where they rode the newly paved road (at the time) from Bedouine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Ventoux

OK, I was correct, it was Mayo's 55:51.

I mainly know/remember because I was at Ventoux a few weeks after that Dauphine to do my own ITT. I'll try to find the results but it was Mayo-Hamiton-Floyd-Lance if I recall correctly.

Froome has not been anywhere close to these times.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I found it in the cyclingnews archive....

Stage 4, June 10, 2004, Dauphine Libere 2004....record prior to that was Vaughters from 1999 in 56:50:

Results1 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 55.51.49 (23.202 km/h) 2 Tyler Hamilton (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 0.35.26 3 Oscar Sevilla (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 1.03.09 4 Juan Miguel Mercado (Spa) Quick.Step-Davitamon 1.48.44 5 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal presented by Berry Floor 1.57.89 6 Inigo Landaluze (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 2.22.75 7 Jos� Gutierrez (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 2.44.09 8 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Rabobank 3.21.18 9 Michael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank 3.33.38 10 St�phane Goubert (Fra) Ag2R Prevoyance 3.35.81 11 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 3.55.55 12 David Moncoutie (Fra) Cofidis, le credit par Telephone 3.59.03 13 Cyril Dessel (Fra) Phonak Hearing Systems 4.03.20 14 Floyd Landis (USA) US Postal presented by Berry Floor 4.09.14 15 Jos� Azevedo (Por) US Postal presented by Berry Floor 4.18.24 16 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Credit Agricole 4.37.09 17 Michael Rogers (Aus) Quick.Step-Davitamon 4.44.95 18 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 5.08.52 19 Sandy Casar (Fra) FDJeux.com 5.29.49 20 Victor Hugo Pena (Col) US Postal presented by Berry Floor 5.29.88

Stage 4 - June 10: Bédoin - Le Mont Ventoux ITT, 21.6 kmMayo motors to record breaking Ventoux performanceArmstrong surprising fifth atop Ventoux
By Tim Maloney, European Editor in Bedoin
Iban Mayo (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
Photo ©: CN
On a warm clear day where the le Mont Ventoux lived up to its windy reputation, Iban Mayo (Euskaltel-Euskadi) scaled the Olympus of Provence with a record-breaking performance, pulverized Colorado climber Jonathan Vaughters' five year old record of 56'50" by almost 1 minute and took back the race lead he captured at the Dauphin� prologue on Sunday in Meg�ve. And the much anticipated mano a mano with Mayo and Lance Armstrong didn't materialize as the five time Tour de France champion was once again bested by his bete noir, Le Mont Ventoux.
"I thought Armstrong would be faster; I think it's a big surprise and maybe he had a bad day," said the happy Basque rider who now has command of the Dauphin�. Although he certainly wants to win in Grenoble on Sunday, Mayo is already looking past the Dauphin� to the Tour De France. "I want to recover well before the Tour and keep my fitness and my mental capacity as fresh as possible."
Lance Armstrong (US Postal Service)
Photo ©: CN
Although USPS-Berry Floor team director Johan Bruyneel told Cyclingnews before Stage 4 that, "I don't expect Lance to win today, Mayo is the favourite and maybe Hamilton", Bruyneel told us post-stage that "I'm a little disappointed; not in Lance, but in the differences between him and Mayo. It shows are still not ready for the Tour. Lance did what he could today. Mayo beat the record by almost a minute which is an incredible performance."
Jonathan Vaughters was on hand today to watch Iban Mayo smash his record and told Cyclingnews that "I expected my record to be broken today and I expected Mayo to do it." Vaughters also thought that. "Mayo would put a lot of time into Armstrong and that as a result, (Lance) would be pretty worried."
Armstrong lost five seconds per kilometre to Mayo today, which could be a sign that Lance doesn't have the legs he's had in previous years before the Tour. Or he could be pulling a rope-a-dope on the competition pre-Tour and not showing his game 100 percent.
Armstrong's coach Chris Carmichael recently called Lance "the master of psychological warfare" and his less than all-out performance on the Ventoux , just measured out enough to test himself but not go "au bloc", could fool his adversaries into thinking that Lance was in trouble. But with forty days still to go before the Tour De France's crucial l'Alpe d'Huez mountain time trial, Armstrong must still be considered the overwhelming favourite to win.
Tyler Hamilton (Phonak)
Photo ©: AFP
The runner-up to Mayo was Tyler Hamilton (Phonak), who also beat Vaughters record today. Once again, the Man from Marblehead showed his New England granite will and great legs on his new team. "We're very happy with the way things went today", said the pleased Phonak director Jacques Michaud, as his team put Hamilton in second, Sevilla in third and a total of five riders in the top 13.
As for Hamilton, he seems to be doing well with his new team and is clearly ready for the Tour de France. "It's clear that Mayo is in top form now; he's very strong. For me today, my time wasn't as important as how I felt and I felt good...the sensations were positive. I came here to make two tests, the prologue and the TT and I was second in both of them." As for his former teammate and Gerona neighbour Lance Armstrong, Hamilton said "He's still the favourite for the Tour De France."
With his wife Odessa and new puppy Bandit awaiting atop le Mont Ventoux, Levi Leipheimer (Rabobank) was an solid 8th place, but the Santa Rosa, CA. native was not very happy with his performance today. A disappointed Leipheimer told Cyclingnews that "It's a little bit of a blow to the morale to get caught (by Oscar Sevilla), you know. I didn't feel super today and I really suffered on the steep parts. I have a lot of work to do."
His Rabobank teammate Michael "Chicken" Rasmussen was 9th, 0'12 behind Levi and was also disappointed today. "I was going good at the start, but probably had too much sugar in my bottle since I was getting stomach cramps. So I had two choices today: drink and get cramps, or not drink, so I didn't take a bottle for the last 15km."
Fourth American was Floyd Landis, who finished just 63 hundredths of a second over one hour in 14 spot. "Yeah, it was everything I expected today; Ventoux was long and hard and hot at the bottom. It went well for me; I felt good but it was nothing spectacular."
Iban Mayo (Euskaltel)
Photo ©: AFP
Tomorrow in the Village Depart in Bollene, Iban Mayo will be awarded his weight on the local Berlingots de Carpentras candy, but the ambitious Basque rider will have to be content with wearing the Maillot Jaune-Bleu leader's jersey of the Crit�rium du Dauphin� Lib�r� into Grenoble. But with the Tour just over the horizon and two prestigious wins like l'Alpe d'Huez and now le Mont Ventoux under his belt, Iban Mayo and his Euskatel-Euskadi team will be looking to bring their winning ways to Paris on July 25th. But not if Lance Armstrong can help it.
Stage 5 - June 11: Bollene-Sisteron, 149km
With Iban Mayo back in the Maillot Jaune/Blue of the Criterium du Dauphin� Lib�r� lead, Euskaltel-Euskadi will be firmly in control on this transitional stage across the Vaucluse, Drome and into the Alps of Haute Provence.
Photography
Images by Chris Henry/Cyclingnews

Images by AFP Photo

Images by Russell Standring/grenoblecycling.free.fr

Images by Philippe/velopalmares.free.fr

Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant in 2013 Froome biked up ventoux 25seconds faster than armstrong-pantani...
Quote Reply

Prev Next