Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for the Gravel racers out there.
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Gravel worlds in August this year and its got me thinking.. Could it be beneficial to run a rear wheelbuilder disc cover? I've never seen this done at a gravel race before but I have seen aerobars. So, why not a rear disc?? Obviously this wouldn't be suitable in all conditions or courses, but from what i've read about the gravel roads in this race over 150 miles this would be an ideal situation. Or am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Gravel racers out there. [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the last two, which were run in pretty good conditions. On a windy Nebraska day, which could be typical weather that time of year, I'm not sure I want something more to throw me off a good line. There's competition enough for a smooth safe line at relatively high speeds. I ran a slightly wider tire last year, up from the previous year, and will probably go a little wider even again this year (36C), when most of the route is renowned for good fast gravel. It's such a long event, that I feel relative comfort, stability and safety possibly trump small, questionable performance choices. But then again, I wasn't on the podium either!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides losing style points... would it stand up to the pounding of gravel riding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gentleman's unofficial agreement. No disk rear wheels...ha.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Gravel racers out there. [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that what they said about aerobars? Then someone bucked the trend and look at it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes sir..

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Gravel racers out there. [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This stuff at some point will turn the looser easier going atmosphere and rules of gravel stuff into another USAC/USAT/UCI rule book style bike event. We had a guy on TT bars show up to a local event in December.

Do what you're gonna do, but don't expect people to play nice in a group working together. It's part of the game. If you show up with aerobars and a disc, people will see your advantage for when working alone.........and subsequently make you work alone.

You already know the answer in terms of aero.

I wish they'd get it over with and go ahead and have gravel events say "no aerobars, no rear discs".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to happen at some point. I think if you were able to paint it to look like John Tomac's old disc, people would be much friendlier about it. Here's a replica of that bike to give you an idea. I would love to do that with more time and money on my hands.

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Gravel racers out there. [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been at spring gravel races here in MN - especially Almanzo where can be WINDY. 30 mph sustained on race day has happened. Riding Jet 6 wheels in the crosswind is fast, I overtake people quickly and lots more of them than I feel like I should. But, saying they can be sketchy is putting it mildly. I've clocked around 100000 miles on aero wheels so I have some experience. Still... in spring wind on gravel there have been times when both wheels were noticeably inching sideways toward the ditch. I wouldn't attempt those conditions on a disc. Less wind, sure. Lots of wind, not for me.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what Paul Curley would say...

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Gravel racers out there. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see where you are coming from, but in that line of thinking, then why allow aero road helmets, deep aero wheels, or even aero bike frames like a 3T? Do you work with those people? if yes, then that's a hypocritical statement your making. I think from a purist standpoint, yes I will get some dirty looks if I decide to go forward with this idea but I would bet most people would race their own race and not worry much about me. You said "it's part of the game". I say don't hate the player, hate the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Gravel racers out there. [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
I have been at spring gravel races here in MN - especially Almanzo where can be WINDY. 30 mph sustained on race day has happened. Riding Jet 6 wheels in the crosswind is fast, I overtake people quickly and lots more of them than I feel like I should. But, saying they can be sketchy is putting it mildly. I've clocked around 100000 miles on aero wheels so I have some experience. Still... in spring wind on gravel there have been times when both wheels were noticeably inching sideways toward the ditch. I wouldn't attempt those conditions on a disc. Less wind, sure. Lots of wind, not for me.

I agree 100% wind conditions on the day would make my decision. Not sure how many miles I've clocked in aero position with a rear disc, but it's a lot. So, I'm not inexperienced in that regard. On gravel, I'd have to test it out in training..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think riding in a group with a rear disc is a great idea, especially on gravel. If you get pushed sideways in a TT no big deal if you recover and you only affect yourself if you go down. You get pushed sideways in a group, on gravel while with others, a lot more people can be affected. (Did I use affect correctly? Even after looking affect/effect up I'm not sure)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw one at a gravel race I did two weeks ago. No idea if the rider found it helpful but he definitely stood out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
I can see where you are coming from, but in that line of thinking, then why allow aero road helmets, deep aero wheels, or even aero bike frames like a 3T? Do you work with those people? if yes, then that's a hypocritical statement your making. I think from a purist standpoint, yes I will get some dirty looks if I decide to go forward with this idea but I would bet most people would race their own race and not worry much about me. You said "it's part of the game". I say don't hate the player, hate the game.

Not hate, but breaking down and destroying your competitor is the deal.

I've no pity for someone on aerobars or a disc wheel who gets ganged up on by folks skipping pulls and doing roadie style things to make that person work harder.

That's what they do to the better sprinter in break away, they make them work more.

The safety aspect isn't about someone being alone in a gravel race, it's about the inevitable of idiots trying to use aerobars and disc wheels while in a big group and causing crashes. It won't be the winners on the pointy end that wind up getting it into the rules, it'll be the MOP and BOP Freds showing up to gravel races with aerobars and discs crashing out a group that'll ruin it.

Gravel racing isn't individual time trial. It is still a group activity. Disc wheels, trispokes.....they catch wind and aren't group racing items (indoors on a track there is no wind). Same for the TT bars.

Even with shorties, your hands are on the TT bars........they ain't on the brakes, and one or both have to come off to grab one.
Quote Reply