Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foam rollers research metaanalysis
Quote | Reply
It's pretty dense but worth a quick read - https://www.frontiersin.org/...phys.2019.00376/full

tl;dr - some benefit but mostly of the marginal kind. Might be helpful for gaining flexibility, but flexibiliy studies showed some propensity for placebo effects.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Foam rollers research metaanalysis [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Fwiw, the number one reason why I use a foam roller is to increase mobility. It is why in probably the past 5 years I use 3:1 pre-workout vs post. Glad to see this backed up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
It's pretty dense but worth a quick read - https://www.frontiersin.org/...phys.2019.00376/full

tl;dr - some benefit but mostly of the marginal kind. Might be helpful for gaining flexibility, but flexibiliy studies showed some propensity for placebo effects.

I'll be honest, after 30 years of reading research articles as a lay person then I am convinced that the only consistent technique / vitamin / diet / process that is beneficial is 'placebo'. And in this case then there's no suggestion it does harm, I own a roller so it's 'free', and therefore it's an obvious course of action to carry on.

My personal experience suggests more on the positive benefit to marginal. But if I've been lucky to get a roller with a double strength dose of placebo in to , then all the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Looks like the study focuses on performance and recovery. I use mine mainly for injury prevention - if I go more than a few days without rolling the quads and IT bands I tend to get sore in one or both knees due to tracking issues. Guess that would be a lot harder to quantify and measure in a study though.

So if there's no downside and potentially some marginal upside that's all good as far as I'm concerned!
Quote Reply
Re: Foam rollers research metaanalysis [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
.....in this case then there's no suggestion it does harm, I own a roller so it's 'free', and therefore it's an obvious course of action to carry on.....

I can't agree with that logic. It might be financially free but it's a lot of time and effort. I'd much rather spend the extra time and effort training, or spend it on something else entirely rather than commit it to ineffective foam rolling. Money is only one thing we spend on these pursuits and unless you're really financially stretched, I'd say it can easily be the least important.

Having said that, if it works for you - have at it!

Edit: Corrected quote format
Last edited by: Ai_1: Apr 23, 19 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ole 'not a scientist' caveat, but:

Two things jump out at me:

1) As much as I am typically a data-driven, 'citation needed' kinda guy, I know what rolling has directly done for me in the past. I know the tangible differences I can feel with tight quads before and released after rolling. Studies can say what they will, but I'm sticking to foam rolling. Which leads to...

2) It seems like, from a quick read, that the studies measured the difference in sprint, jump, "strength performance" and flexibility. I don't recall ever hearing people talking about a roller in those terms. Understand that science needs quantifiable measurements, but I wonder if this is a case of the tangible benefit (ie, my muscles not being one giant knot) being hard to properly quantify. I suppose you might consider it flexibility, but in that case, there was a positive result, as well as with pain perception.

Ultimately hey, I don't know what I'm talking about really, but I know what foam rolling has done for my legs, so I'll carry on, personally.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Foam rollers research metaanalysis [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely going to stick with rolling as well - if anything, it has a tangible calming effect in my case.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how ofter do you guys use the foam roller?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact"

That being said, I never thought to roll pre-workout

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Foam rollers research metaanalysis [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it seems that pre-rolling can be a benefit. I often get to the pool early to stretch and chat, so now I'm thinking of picking up a small roller, or even a collapsible one to take to practices and meets.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Foam rollers research metaanalysis [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do it religiously before my runs. Its helped, but since I've stopped I've found a happy medium of 1-2 /week, but as a separate session and not post or pre workout. I will do it pre race though.

Doing it beforehand really helps to get blood flowing and loosen up your muscles. It's a great alternative when there's no place to warm up before a race.

Strava
Quote Reply