Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smartwatches
Quote | Reply
What are you using? I want to replace my Fitbit Charge 2 with something that can do a little more. Right now, I can see texts and calls. No email. And the fitness stuff is fine I guess.

Obviously there is the Apple Watch, are their better watches out there? I assume that Garmin makes something but I haven't looked into to it in any way.

Help a brother out. Point me to the best watch ($300 or less, preferably)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recall - do you have an iPhone?

I use the Apple Watch simply b/c I am an Apple guy and the watch integrates so well with the iPhone. But, I don't think it is the best one out there. The Samsung watches look MUCH better, have "real" mechanical watch faces, and are packed with features. I wish Apple would adopt the looks of the Samsung watches.

So, depends on what else you use and how much you want integration. If you want to use features from your iPhone and want to be able to call from your phone, go Apple Watch. Otherwise, I think there are better options.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the Apple Watch. Unless you want it for sports also, then look at the Garmin line to find something that works for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an Apple Watch.

One day I suddenly realized I hadn’t worn it in over a year.

I don’t even know where it is.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I use iPhone so I had the feeling that Apple Watch is probably what I should be looking at. Series 3 seems to be under $300 these days.

Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 watch. I got it for free through a work program. It is a fun toy, but that is all. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't bother. I like the size of the IWatch and if I had an I phone I would consider it, but it still doesn't do much for me. I wear it at work, but when working from home, I don't bother. It's nice to get alerts for emails, texts, phone calls, etc. but other than that, meh.

I used to have a fitbit charge2 and kept wearing that at night for the silent alarm. It finally died and now I miss that. The silent alarm is really the only function I really like/need so as not to wake the family in the morning with my alarm clock. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you find it and are looking to give it away...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Well now I have a reason to look for it so I will. If I find it you can have it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Well now I have a reason to look for it so I will. If I find it you can have it.

I take back all the past and future times that I have called you an idiot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to use it for triathlon training? You know, things like running, biking and swimming? What race are you getting ready for? Are you going to record your training intensity and volume and post it here for everyone to read?

What kind of cranks to you have on your bike? What do you hydrate with? Do you prefer gels or bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

So you will call me an idiot in the future but you just now preemptively took it back?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Unless it turns out that he had the $17,000 gold Apple Watch, and now has to give it to you. In which case he's still an idiot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Samsung Galaxy watch, my wife has the new Galaxy Active. No complaints, but we are long time Samsung users.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I both have the basic Garmin FR230. He has HR, I don’t. It’s been great. Both of us have had higher feature level watches before but these are great for a daily watch that will also track workouts.

I have had it for years and people still stop me to ask about it (I did buy the white face/ purple band one and replace it with a white band - so it’s all white).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

So you will call me an idiot in the future but you just now preemptively took it back?

Well using the search funtion I see 1,536 instances of me calling you an idiot.

I’d say that’s safe to say that i’ll Do it again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Apple Watch and it works fine for swimming. I’ve answered my phone on it when the phone was upstairs and even check the time.

I don’t run and if I ride outside, I use the Wahoo Element.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I have the Samsung Galaxy watch, my wife has the new Galaxy Active. No complaints, but we are long time Samsung users.

I'm assuming that the active is not the active phone which I want to upgrade my old one from
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine: https://www.samsung.com/...galaxy/galaxy-watch/

Hers: https://www.samsung.com/...galaxy-watch-active/

Mine talks to an S5

Hers talks to an S10

No idea how they do on a different android phone, or even an apple product, but they are pretty slick when paired to the native brand's phone.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my experience with a Samsung Galaxy Bluetooth 46 mm. I was satisfied with it until it went into an infinite reboot loop while I was swimming. The watch has a swim mode, and I was using it while swimming laps at my local YMCA. Samsung told me it was still under warranty and I could sent it in for repairs. Samsung then told me that the damage was due to water, so the repairs would not be covered under warranty. They wanted $430 to repair it, which was substantially more than the purchase price. I was satisfied with the watch for recording my runs and bike rides, and I probably would have stopped using it for my swims if it had been repaired under warranty, but I will now look for another brand to replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
My husband and I both have the basic Garmin FR230. He has HR, I don’t. It’s been great. Both of us have had higher feature level watches before but these are great for a daily watch that will also track workouts.

I have had it for years and people still stop me to ask about it (I did buy the white face/ purple band one and replace it with a white band - so it’s all white).

+1 I have the FR235, simple and holds a charge much longer than an apple watch. I have the Garmin Connect App on my phone that it syncs too.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatches [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

+1 I have the FR235, simple and holds a charge much longer than an apple watch. I have the Garmin Connect App on my phone that it syncs too.

Just replying to you as the last poster Mr Summitt.

Picked up the Garmin Instinct and am really happy with it. It's a cross between the Fenix line and Vivoactive 3 (I have not owned either though that's how it is often described..it's also described as looking like a Gshock which people will either love or hate).

Built more for outdoors navigation/trail running/etc than the T sport (though does have swim/bike modes). Lines up much better with what I'm into nowadays and is built like a tank. Big upgrade for me considering I'm coming off of a Garmin 210 that (still) refuses to die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like wearing accessories and have a few smart watches in my collection: AppleWatch,TiC watch Pro and Huawei W1. Like them all. Plus I wear them with custom mens bracelet with natural stones, it looks so stylish.
Last edited by: WilliG: Sep 6, 19 1:47
Quote Reply