Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Life Event Root Cause Analysis
Quote | Reply
My job requires me to do a lot of "Root Cause Analysis" of problems. At Saturday's engagement dinner for my daughter the father of the groom asked me how either of us had gotten to this point. That got me thinking about minor choices in life that lead to major outcomes years later.

In my case my father had hemorrhoid surgery and was stuck in the house in December of 1977. When one of the cows went into labor and the calf was breach it fell to me to pull the calf. Christmas eve, about 0 degrees, in a barn full of frozen cow shit with my left arm in a cow all the way to the shoulder, I made a decision to leave the farm behind as soon as possible and never look back. That led to the Navy, which led to training in the Adirondacks, which lead to a night of drinking in Saratoga Springs where I found a 19 year old girl so drunk that she was lost in a revolving door.

36 years later the daughter of all those chance meetings will get married to a kid who is the first in his family to be born in the US.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Life Event Root Cause Analysis [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I am not the only one to think of these things.

My big one, years ago, my Dad had an offer to move to Minn. or Wisc to work for an irrigation company (I think they made the joint at the end of the big arm, which controlled the small arm, used by some farmers to irrigate the corners of square farms...(lol Found a pic)

Well if he would have taken it my life would be completly different. But he didn't.

Or Before senior yr of high school, I decide I need to hang out with people more. Like the next day, I get home from work (I worked at a fish market) so I'm tired and stinky and my friend calls they are at some girls house who has an Atari computer like me and they want me to bring some games over. I nearly said no, but remembered I was going to be more social, so quick shower head over there. They play on the computer, I get to know the girl... First girlfriend, break up with her and end up dating one of her friends (2nd girl friend.. now wife)... If I would have said no that night... who knows how different life would be. Or heck had I bought a commodore 64, or apple instead of the Atari 400 I had.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the root cause analysis a lot too, Additionally I have kind of decided that life is a game where the goal is to not make bad decisions. It's very rare to see a person fail when they have avoided making life mistakes.

As for your story, I was working nights at UPS and going to school. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. I remember thinking that I liked repairing things, cars, TV's etc and decided that I should either become an auto mechanic or learn to repair computers. This was 1979. I ended up going to a technical school and learned to repair computers. Best move I have ever made. Because of that choice I have had a great life. I have also been able to help take care of family and friends when they needed a hand. The idea of me in a garage 8 - 10 hours a day has lost all of its glamour.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was in college

class mate had his younger sister over for Sghetti one weekend ...

long legs and mini skirts

:-)

that's how Australians come to live in California, near her home town and family.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Last edited by: raygovett: Apr 22, 19 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: Life Event Root Cause Analysis [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of how I got into IT. Going nowhere job... future wife convinces me that I won't be happy doing this for my life. So I go back to school for Computer Networking and Technical Support because I seemed to be good at fixing computer issues.

Anyway, I am no longer in IT but my IT background got me the job I currently have which is a better paying/more rewarding job.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done any of this. LOL. I just let what happens happen.

But anyway - My mom & dad bought my grandma's house - they wouldn't have been able to move to that town on their income otherwise. Years later, I start cub scouts. Stay through boy scouts. My best friend, from scouts naturally, take me along to apply for his first job and makes me apply too. 4 years later I'm working there my sophomore year of college and a work friend who has a crush on me convinces me to go to her prom. Meet one of her friends. Get married 4 years later.
Quote Reply