Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bone Density & swimming, blacks, whites, others
Quote | Reply
This is related to a parallel thread about black athletes and triathlon-kinda. Only kinda because I am white but I can't see that having a bearing on this discussion but it is why I started a separate thread. Some members of the forum have discussed blacks being poor swimmers because they have more dense bones and don't float well. I have heard that blacks have more dense bones on average than whites. I took a bone density test last year and my bones were 20% more dense (heavier) than an average male. At the time my body fat was 5.7% .(No chance of that being true now in the winter) Well I suck at the swim and can't float to save my life, man am I a sinker. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the notion that dense boned athletes (black, white or whatever)fare worse in the swim.

Thanks,

David
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Density & swimming, blacks, whites, others [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if this is a troll or not, but...

http://www.sr.net/...am/anthonyNesty.html

for a counterexample.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Density & swimming, blacks, whites, others [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nesty rocks. No, it really was not meant as a troll and I am not trying to make it a racial issue and I hope it is not taken in that manner. I am more interested in the density of the athletes bones not the color of their skin. Just if blacks do have higher bone density the black athletes on the forum may have more insight. Not many athletes know their bone density but if any of you do I would be interested to know if your bone density was high or low and how well you swim. I could care less to know your race and that is NOT what I am trying to figure out.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Density & swimming, blacks, whites, others [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to my physician, we do have denser bones. She told me but only in the context of osteoporsis; I am not at too much of a risk, but I am fair skinned, so she had me take a calcium supplement.

I'm not a fish, but I swim ok and don't sink!

Quote Reply
Re: Bone Density & swimming, blacks, whites, others [tricheermom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard the black/density arguement years ago. Seems to me I read a research paper on this that claimed that it actually varies from individual to individual regardless of race. In regards to osteoporosis it effects small boned women most. At one time it was regarded as a Euro descended disease but now seen in all races in western society in the same approx. %. Some think it may have something to do with the western diet.

Then there was the belief that black people had thicker skulls. Some scientists analyzed a zillion skulls from different races and concluded that it was also variable but in general it was white women who had the thickest skulls.
Quote Reply