Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OWS St. George, UT
Quote | Reply
Sand Hollow lake appears to be "available" for open water swimming. Does anyone have any experience with best practices?
Quote Reply
Re: OWS St. George, UT [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam there about 2 weeks ago on a training trip to St. George. Not a local expert by any means.

$15 for a car, or $5 for walk (bike?) ins. They limit roadside parking in the immediate area to prevent people from just parking immediately outside and walking in.

I was directed to swim from the day-access public beach. White buoys delimit a no wake-zone. Probably goes a quarter-mile out into the lake and is at least one mile long. I swam just inside those buoys, using them for sighting practice.

Day-use beach is a good distance from the entrance (i.e., if planning on jogging/running in).

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/sand-hollow/
Quote Reply
Re: OWS St. George, UT [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 55 degrees when I swam on April 15th. The Rock Island is about 350 yards if you go in at the sand entrance at the first shaded picnic table. Stay inside the white buoys. The course goes behind the rock island and to the boat ramp. If you go around the rock twice and back in that is about 2100 yards.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: OWS St. George, UT [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
It was 55 degrees when I swam on April 15th. The Rock Island is about 350 yards if you go in at the sand entrance at the first shaded picnic table. Stay inside the white buoys. The course goes behind the rock island and to the boat ramp. If you go around the rock twice and back in that is about 2100 yards.
I was recently informed that the water temp is QUITE cold and to be prepared for that. So if you practice, bring the wetsuit!
Quote Reply