Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat Acclimatization, is it sport specific ?
Quote | Reply
It seems that Boston is hot roughly half ot the time. As I think about next year's Boston epic, I want to incorporate better heat acclimatization, just in case. Beyond hoping it's hot at home in the 2 weeks beforehand I can easily ride the trainer without a fan. I get plenty hot, but is hot cycling good enough for a hot run? I can run with added layers, but I prefer cycling in the last 2 weeks since running too much as I taper is counter productive.

thoughts?

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization, is it sport specific ? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give this a listen

https://www.sonyalooney.com/how-to-train-for-the-heat-part-1-with-dr-stephen-cheung/
Last edited by: jroden: Apr 21, 19 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, I have it on good authority that this is best done for weeks ahead of a race, not just 2 weeks ahead. Secondly, the same authority says it is as simple as walking into the sauna after a run or ride, not about getting hot during the activity so I take that to mean the activity doesn't matter. For me, the easiest thing i've found is hitting the sauna after a hard swim since it's all right there and it has been working great.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization, is it sport specific ? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found some data on post exercise sauna. Unfortunately my pool doesn’t have a sauna. The hot tub is lukewarm at best.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
I found some data on post exercise sauna. Unfortunately my pool doesn’t have a sauna. The hot tub is lukewarm at best.

There was an article somewhere that popped up and mentioned just taking a hot bath after a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization, is it sport specific ? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trainerroad podcast has a few episodes on heat training, like this one. Also covering its use in increasing performance at any temperature.

They suggest working out in the heat as most effective, with post-exercise heat being second best.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization, is it sport specific ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any benefit to dressing warmer throughout the day or is it limited to workouts?It could be fun trying to trick my body into thinking summer has started.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply