Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail run at altitude - can I do it?
Quote | Reply
I’ve got my eye on a 40 mile trail race in Colorado at the end of August—the Grand Traverse Mountain Run. It starts in Crested Butte at 8900 feet and ends in Aspen. It peaks at over 12,000 feet with a lot of time spent over 11,000. I’d be coming from Philadelphia. Plan would be to fly in on Friday and do the race on Saturday.

I’ve hiked a few 10,000 foot peaks around Tahoe without any issues. I’m not looking to set any records, just finish. Is this doable, or am I just setting myself up for disaster?
Quote Reply
Re: Trail run at altitude - can I do it? [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and no, or no and yes. Probably the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my understanding is that success at altitude without prior exposure is a roll of the dice related to genetics. Depends how comfortable you are spending the money on a project with uncertain chances of success
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, why not? I mean if you aren't looking to win the thing, just take it easy and walk should you get tired and or dizzy.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail run at altitude - can I do it? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Yeah, why not? I mean if you aren't looking to win the thing, just take it easy and walk should you get tired and or dizzy.

Yes, this is basically my thinking. I just don’t want to set myself up for certain failure and altitude sickness. But if it’s mostly genetics like the previous poster suggested I guess there is only one way to find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you remove altitude from the equation, are you in ok shape to do the distance/terrain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live at 3,000 feet and on the weekends drive to the mountains and hit 8 or 9k, sometimes 10k. I am ok. I just do races to finish......Ultra vibe is completely different. I do not think my being at 3,000 makes that big of a difference. I think what may be more of a challenge is technical terrain.
I have done the RUT, which takes over 11k. I was ok. For what its worth I am doing the Telluride 38 that goes over 13. …...so I say go for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was flirting with the same / similar idea.

But, decided against it due to lack of altitude training. One thing to walk at altitude (have hiked up my Whitney and higher peaks)... Another thing to try to run / jog at altitude

Having said that, I am not a star at altitude compared to others.

So.... Depends on how much risk you want to take...
Quote Reply
Re: Trail run at altitude - can I do it? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
if you remove altitude from the equation, are you in ok shape to do the distance/terrain?

Yes. I’m not worried about the distance or elevation gain. The altitude is my concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail run at altitude - can I do it? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I live at 3,000 feet and on the weekends drive to the mountains and hit 8 or 9k, sometimes 10k. I am ok. I just do races to finish......Ultra vibe is completely different. I do not think my being at 3,000 makes that big of a difference. I think what may be more of a challenge is technical terrain.
I have done the RUT, which takes over 11k. I was ok. For what its worth I am doing the Telluride 38 that goes over 13. …...so I say go for it

N=1, but reassuring nonetheless. How was the RUT? I’m hoping to do that one in 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason that you cannot go somewhere and train at altitude during the summer somewhere? If it were me, I would go somewhere very high for about 7 to 10 days about 3 to 4 weeks out, and do the last bit of my hard training there. Barring that, I would just go local on weekends if you have to work, and try and do some good high altitude stuff for 4 or 5 weekends before the big race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've known a number of people who have done it ok, maybe use hr as your governor. You dehydrate faster at altitude too I think. Seems like you could fake it ok. I tried a road bike race at altitude and got dropped bad. I knew I was on trouble just unpacking the car...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is awesome. It is hard....you have a 1 mile stretch where you gain 2,000. I have bad arthritis in knees, the two miles going down lone peak, dropping 1,400 per mile on loose dirt sore was the hardest
Quote Reply
Re: Trail run at altitude - can I do it? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Is there a reason that you cannot go somewhere and train at altitude during the summer somewhere? If it were me, I would go somewhere very high for about 7 to 10 days about 3 to 4 weeks out, and do the last bit of my hard training there. Barring that, I would just go local on weekends if you have to work, and try and do some good high altitude stuff for 4 or 5 weekends before the big race.

As great as that sounds, a 7-10 day training camp is just not realistic for me. And I live in Philadelphia so I’ve got nothing local.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes N=1, but most people here in Billings do the same thing, no issues. Now, if you are looking at the pointy end of the race. However if coming from Philly, stop , take pictures, enjoy the view, the beauty. My two cents, you do not want to travel that far, get to be in that type of environment, and miss a lot of beauty just to save 30 minutes.
try this one next year,...or, here is a couple

https://www.runtelluride.com/40-mile

https://winddrinkers.org/...ead/races/ridge-run/
Quote Reply
Re: Trail run at altitude - can I do it? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Yes N=1, but most people here in Billings do the same thing, no issues. Now, if you are looking at the pointy end of the race. However if coming from Philly, stop , take pictures, enjoy the view, the beauty. My two cents, you do not want to travel that far, get to be in that type of environment, and miss a lot of beauty just to save 30 minutes.
try this one next year,...or, here is a couple

https://www.runtelluride.com/40-mile

https://winddrinkers.org/...ead/races/ridge-run/

This was my thought exactly. I’m not winning regardless of the altitude, and the altitude will just make it that much harder. I’ve never run a race with a camera, but I’d take my phone along for this one.

And those runs look pretty awesome. I’ve read about the ridge run before. And that Telluride run looks tough. Lots of climbing at high altitude. It’s these types of runs that make me wish I lived out west.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move.
I live in Billings. Starting this week I will hit lowest altitude trails. Will do a 20 or more every weekend. I run with a border collie. She is my early warning system. Last year at this time Moose.
I can get up early, drive time mountains, run 20 on a trail and see know one, drive back, all in 8 hours.
I am from Cleveland lived NYC and other major cities, this place is the best kept secret. At 100,000, we are the largest city 400 miles in any direction
Quote Reply