Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf?
Quote | Reply
I'm a week in. I haven't killed anyone yet, but, it has been a close call on a few occasions.

I've gotten over the headaches, but, the general feeling of lethargy is so much stronger then I thought it would be. I feel completely exhausted from around 1pm until I fall asleep. Is this how shitty I'm supposed to feel?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quit caffeine cold turkey a couple of times. You get over the lethargy after a bit
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it cold turkey as well. Day 1 was fine. Day 2 through today have been significantly less fine.

Why did you quit? Did you eventually go back?

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I did it cold turkey as well. Day 1 was fine. Day 2 through today have been significantly less fine.

Why did you quit? Did you eventually go back?

100 plus ounces of caffeinated beverages a day was not healthy. I slept horrible so caffeine so slept horrible.

Occasionally I'll have some caffeine but NONE after noon and it's fine. I mean sometimes you want a diet coke or something, ya know. And you get more bang for your buck if you aren't a regular drinker
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100 oz?!? That is crazy. I have maybe 24-36 on the regular.

Dr told wife to cut out the caffeine for various reasons. Like an idiot, I said I'd do it with her, just to see what it was like. That, and I can't be bothered to make both decaf and regular coffee in the morning. Now, I'm just doing it out of stubbornness, and to see what 'normal' feels like.

I'll still have a rum or rye and coke in the evening and sleep well. Just nothing during the morning/day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Dr told wife to cut out the caffeine for various reasons. Like an idiot, I said I'd do it with her, just to see what it was like. That, and I can't be bothered to make both decaf and regular coffee in the morning. Now, I'm just doing it out of stubbornness, and to see what 'normal' feels like.

I'll still have a rum or rye and coke in the evening and sleep well. Just nothing during the morning/day.

I'm a big guy.

Cut out the booze and coke and you're sluggish with disappear because no matter what you think it negatively affects your sleep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you quit something more than once?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I'm a big guy.

Cut out the booze and coke and you're sluggish with disappear because no matter what you think it negatively affects your sleep

I don't drink much, we are talking one or two drinks on normal weeks (I'll have more on holidays, events, etc). I don't think that is the cause of my sluggishness.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I'm a big guy.

I don't drink much, we are talking one or two drinks on normal weeks (I'll have more on holidays, events, etc). I don't think that is the cause of my sluggishness.

The way I read it was you were having a nightly one.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would anyone drink decaf coffee? Isn’t the whole point the caffeine? There’s certainly better tasting beverages in the world. I also wonder why anyone would drink non-alcoholic beer but that’s probably it’s own thread.
Last edited by: Patrick E: Apr 21, 19 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing. I may just give up decaf as it is weird drinking a cup... Then another... And not feeling that pick me up.

It is also just a comforting habit. A warm cup or something early in the morning is nice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got to 3:00 pm on day two, murdered a prostitute then went to StarbucKKKs and got octospresso.

I’m better now.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
How can you quit something more than once?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep...my blood pressure is very sensitive to caffeine, so I gave it up years ago. If after a week you are still feeling lethargic and sleepy in the afternoon, then I would submit your problem may very well be deeper than not having caffeine. You may very well want to consider getting a sleep test, especially if you snore at all. Your problem may not be not having caffeine, but obstructive sleep apnea.

Quote | Reply
I gave up caffeine about 11 years ago. When the sluggishness would hit, I’d get up, take a quick walk (even just through/around my office) and drink water. It definitely helped but wasn’t a cure all. It took about a month I think About 3 months ago, I started drinking caffeine again and had to stop 2 weeks ago from jitters, upset stomach and headaches. Apparently I’m very sensitive to the stuff. Give it a couple of weeks. You’ll adjust.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority of the time I drink 2 cups of coffee per day: one around 9:30-10AM and one around 2-2:30PM. Any later in the day and it will adversely affect my sleep.

Earlier this year when I was sick (just the common cold), I switched over to tea with honey for a couple weeks. This soothed the throat and tasted good with all the other cold medications that I was taking. As I was sleeping 15-16 hours per day, I didn't notice sluggishness or experience the headaches that I normally would when giving up caffeine.

After my illness, I found the taste of coffee almost repulsive so continued with tea for a couple weeks. Then I would have a coffee in the morning and then tea in the afternoon. I'm now back to coffee twice per day, but still really haven't returned to the pre-sickness enjoyment of coffee. Mostly I am drinking it for caffeine effect, and many times I can't finish the full cup because of the bitterness. This is very odd for me as a long-time lover of coffee and I have always found the taste enjoyable.

One day last week, I was away from home and forgot my afternoon coffee. It wasn't until 7 or 8pm that I remembered this, and that explained the headache and sluggishness that started around 4pm onwards.

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here successfully make the switch to decaf? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would anyone drink decaf coffee?

Because they really like the taste of coffee, it is a morning ritual, the other 100's of ingredients in it?? What I did when was time to cut out some caffeine, was to just pre mix my weeks worth of beans, 50/50 at first, now I do about 30/70, decaf to regular. I love the taste of strong, black coffee(the taste) and the Petes or other really dark roasts that are decaf, are really good now, not like the old days. In fact, it is kind of like crank lengths, If I came in and changed your length or blend of coffee overnight, you would not notice the difference the next day I bet..

So I can drink 3 cups in the morning, and only the the caffeine of one actual regular cup. Of course if you are putting shit like milk or sugar, or whatever in your coffee, well you aren't really part of this discussion in the first place..If you dont like the taste of real, black coffee, just take a no doz with some water and sugar...
Quote Reply