Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap hub on Jet6+ Black
Quote | Reply
I have a 28h Jet6+ black and was thinking of putting a Powertap G3 hub on it... Any ideas if this is possible and how much it would cost (in addition to the PT). I'm assuming it's the cost of new spokes + labor. Should I have HED install it or should I get someone local to do it?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub on Jet6+ Black [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The G3 hubs available in 28h for $399. You'd need spokes, nipples, and a build. Guessing that's $100-125. So $500-525 total?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
Should I have HED install it or should I get someone local to do it?

The lacing needs to be the same and the flange size pretty close... but it looks like it is. You may need to enlarge the holes in the fairing slightly.

If you have someone local that has a good rep for wheelbuilding, that would be perfect. This isn't common, though. A few years ago I knew several you could send it to (including myself), but everyone seems to have retired. If you do find someone, let them buy the hub and other parts.

If you are interested in trying it yourself, it isn't that hard to learn.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub on Jet6+ Black [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks! I can get one on sale for $100 off but with shipping, labor and parts not sure if it's worth sending it out. I guess I need to find someone local who knows what they're doing.
Powertap had a 30% off sale during the holidays and you could get a DTSwiss wheel for like $300 or something. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that at the time.

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Apr 21, 19 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made me look... ;) Are you talking about the $298 sale at Excel?

Wish I'd known about that holiday sale! Can't beat that price.

Are you planning to use a cover on your Hed rim as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub on Jet6+ Black [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's the one :) No plans for a cover, I have a jet black disc for racing. This would be for my road bike.

rruff wrote:
Made me look... ;) Are you talking about the $298 sale at Excel?
Wish I'd known about that holiday sale! Can't beat that price.

Are you planning to use a cover on your Hed rim as well?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear trailerhouse (if that is your real name),
we drill the holes in the skin in a different location for powertap hubs. If/when you do this, the spokes will tear into the carbon because the spoke angle is different on the two hubs.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap hub on Jet6+ Black [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy.
andy tetmeyer wrote:
Dear trailerhouse (if that is your real name),
we drill the holes in the skin in a different location for powertap hubs. If/when you do this, the spokes will tear into the carbon because the spoke angle is different on the two hubs.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply