Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels?
Quote | Reply
So I'm planning to building up a 3T Exploro or Open UP at some point this summer. I sold my road bike so one set of wheels will be for road rides only. Tentative plan is to run a 28mm tire - so I was looking for something wide to be a decent match. I'm thinking maybe the 5000 TL so the rim would need to be hooked

I came up with a number of possibilities and wanted to see if anyone had experience with any of these or thoughts based on specs/build/whatever that would go unnoticed in the press reviews. Ideally I would like something that is easy to live with (not too hard to set up tubeless if I go that route, doesn't require a bunch of maintenance, reliable, decent warranty, yada, yada). I'd really like to keep it <$1800, but included some more expensive wheels for comparison sake.

HED Vanquish 4
- $2600
- 1511 grams
- Width: 30 mm external, 21mm internal
- Depth: 40 mm
- Other: too expensive, can't tell if these are hooked or not

Enve 4.5 AR
- $2550
- 1569 grams
- Width: 30.5-31mm external, 25 mm internal
- Depth: 49-55 mm
- Other: too expensive, non-hooked rim limits tire choices (i.e. no GP 5000, also tubeless only?)

Zipp 303 Firecrest
- $2500
- 1645 grams
- Width: 29.9 mm external, 21 mm internal
- Depth: 45 mm
- Other: too expensive

Roval CL 50
- $1750
- 1515 grams
- Width: 29.4 mm external, 20.7 mm internal
- Depth: 50 mm
- Other: hubs have DT swiss internals. Only 21 spokes on the front. Some of the reviews of the CLX version being hookless, but a thread on weight weenies mentions there is a hook

Boyd Road Disc 36mm
- $1750
- 1640 grams
- Width: 29 mm external, 22 mm internal
- Depth: 36 mm
- Other: They also have the Pinnacle which is their 'gravel' wheelset. Basically the same rim but it's hookless thus limiting tire options

Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V
- $1300
- 1575 grams
- Width: 32 mm external, 25 mm internal
- Depth: unsure (probably 35mm)
- Other: Trek recommends running at least a 32mm tire on them

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not on your list but might look to consider Reynolds Aero wheels. I have their 46’s and liked them so much I just got the 65’s (both disc versions). I9 hubs.....the 46 are a bit loud but for whatever reason the newer 65s are pretty quiet. I have one ride on the 65’s on a pretty blustery day and they were easy to control. Most important for me was they are very easy to setup and mount/remove tubeless tires (Schwalbe Pro Ones).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spaced out on Reynolds as they’ve got some newer wide offerings. Thanks for bringing that up

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Spaced out on Reynolds as they’ve got some newer wide offerings. Thanks for bringing that up

On top of that, I’ve bought both sets from My Bike Shop when they have been on sale and paid around $1200-$1400 for them brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a set of Roval CL 50's. They are light, and fast... but have been a bitch to keep true. I'm a bike mech from way back, so its no problem, but I've had to touch up the true, after every hard race, and several harder/longer training rides. They are finally settling down and staying true, after a year and one racing season. If I would have had to take them to somebody to get them trued every time, I would be very pissed by now.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was utterly surprised to discover that Reynolds carbon clinchers brake extremely well with Reynolds Cryo-Blue brake pads. That's something to keep in mind if braking is one of your concerns.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing this thread back...

Where'd did you end up?

I'm also looking for some wide wheels, a bit deeper.

Anyone try the new I9 wheels: https://industrynine.com/wheels/road/i9-65/

I'm leaning toward either those I9s or the Vanquish.
Last edited by: rr_runner: Sep 9, 19 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [rr_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am still stuck in a phase of analysis-paralysis.

Everyone with the Enve 4.5 AR seems to love them. But I'm frugal and don't want to pay >2k for a wheelset. Also not entirely convinced that hookless rims have more benefit than drawback for mixed use (road/dirt/gravel). I see some used ones pop up every once in a while for around $1700, but if I'm spending that much on a wheel some sore of warranty would be nice, especially with the horror stories of Enve's that pop up on forums and websites.

I still kind of like the Roval's (which also have a great warranty). Wish they went with 24 spokes instead of 21 in the front.

Recently I've been giving a strong look to November Bicycles stuff. They just use 'generic' rims though they seem to be picky and knowledgable about which rims they choose. And they use nice hubs (white industries and I9). Their RCG, All Road 38, and All Road 50 are all wide and have a nice moderate depth.

From the original list, dropped of HED and Zipp (price <2k), Boyd (not convince they would be better than Roval at the same price or less expensive options from November) and Bontrager (not sure I want to be 'forced' to use at least 32mm tires)

3T has a pair of wheels called Discus 45 (25mm internal, 32mm external, 45mm deep) which according to them is built around a 28mm tire and is as fast as a 60mm depth tire coming in right at 2k. But despite being announced in March, they are still listed as 'coming soon' on their website. Looks like maybe they are order-able on Glory Cycles. But I can't seem to find anything on inter webs of people actually using theses.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm kinda in the same boat :(

Did you see the new Roval warranty update? That might help with the decision

Right now, the i9 wheels look like my first choice (although they are more than 2k): great hubs, Reynolds designed rims, and great warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have experience/opinions on these wide-rim carbon wheels? [rr_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My rovals have been nice! No idea how they compare to any others, but have been pleasantly surprised in my first few months
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see my private message?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the i9.35's and love them. I did upgrade to the ceramic bearings which have a lifetime warranty themselves as well as the rims so the whole wheelset short of rotors should be completely hassle free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at this: https://www.velonews.com/...-the-pyrenees_500757

It has some really good information about rim/tire interfaces beyond just being hooked/hookless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Zipp 30 Course?

https://www.zipp.com/...disc-brake-clincher/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't forget Stan's avion, the Pro model wheelset is 1450 grams I think, 41mm rim depth and about 22mm/28mm rim internal/external width
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only have experience with Enve 4.5AR and CLX50...

Enve is more stable in cross winds
CLX50 are lighter.. rim is hooked
Both have awesome warranty
Limited tire choices for Enve.. but have been happy with Schwalbe P1. 5000TLs on the Rovals
Your budget knocks both out...unless you go used market.
Quote Reply