Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Filming yourself swimming
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, I have been working really hard on improving my swim stroke over the past few months and I would really like to be able to see myself swimming to have my stroke analyzed by a coach. The pool I swim at doesn’t allow phones on deck but they don’t have a problem with camera such as a GoPro.

I think I am gonna try and find an older model GoPro on eBay to keep costs down. All I really need is to record myself in the pool so I don’t need the most advanced model. Does anybody have any recommendations for older gopros that can be found for relatively cheap online?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Filming yourself swimming [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barberdolan wrote:
Hi guys, I have been working really hard on improving my swim stroke over the past few months and I would really like to be able to see myself swimming to have my stroke analyzed by a coach. The pool I swim at doesn’t allow phones on deck but they don’t have a problem with camera such as a GoPro.

I think I am gonna try and find an older model GoPro on eBay to keep costs down. All I really need is to record myself in the pool so I don’t need the most advanced model. Does anybody have any recommendations for older gopros that can be found for relatively cheap online?

Thanks

For 50 bucks you can pick up a go pro knockoff on Amazon that records in 4k and is waterproof to 30 meters.

Free shipping with prime
Quote Reply
Re: Filming yourself swimming [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh sweet, thanks. Are they branded under any specific name or are they still branded GoPro but just not authentic models?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search Amazon for "Akaso" brand cameras. I have one that I bought for $80 and it works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 you don’t need a GoPro for filming your swim - I’m not sure of the brand but I got a 4K waterproof camera from amazon for i think $50-$60. Works great attached to a weight at the bottom of the pool and can also be used for checking out your bike fit position etc. maybe the GoPro brand works better for high speed action shots but for stationary video any cheap camera seems to work fine. (My swim still sucks but I can see why now)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get GoPro Session on EBay for about $60. Would be the original, a model 4. I just got one for $53.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would try using my phone. (without asking )
Last edited by: mdtrihard: Apr 20, 19 3:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who does a fair bit of video stroke analysis I'm going to give you some recommendations not on cameras but on getting "the shot".

Have someone else come to the pool with you. Attache the camera to a broom handle. Have them walk alongside you while you swim.
Do a 500-600 hard and do this at least halfway through your workout. Have them start filming after the 50% mark of this hard effort. this way as your stroke deteriorates that's what's being caught not your best effort to look good for the camera.

Then have them get footage of you swimming towards the camera and towards and away from above the water as well. Standing on the starting block for this usually yields the best views

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Filming yourself swimming [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
As someone who does a fair bit of video stroke analysis I'm going to give you some recommendations not on cameras but on getting "the shot".

Have someone else come to the pool with you. Attache the camera to a broom handle. Have them walk alongside you while you swim.
Do a 500-600 hard and do this at least halfway through your workout. Have them start filming after the 50% mark of this hard effort. this way as your stroke deteriorates that's what's being caught not your best effort to look good for the camera.

Then have them get footage of you swimming towards the camera and towards and away from above the water as well. Standing on the starting block for this usually yields the best views

Hope that helps

Thanks you!! I appreciate the insight. I don’t have any swim buddies unfortunately but I do have a coach I see weekly for a one hour session. I will have him do this for me. It will provide great insight for him also so it will help me out a lot more then just analyzing my own video footage.
Quote Reply