Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Virginia
Quote | Reply
I’m signed up for 70.3 Virginia and this is my first time doing this race. I know it’s different than the rev series and I’ve reviewed the courses, but I’m looking for some feedback and insight into the course. Would appreciate some local insight. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [sabra31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 2017. Run and swim look the same. Bike is definitely different but looks flat and my bike was fast for me in 2017. Swim isn’t hard. Tide assist didn’t help me much. End was muddy getting out. Maybe it’ll be wetsuit legal since it’s earlier in the year. I did it in July. Run was 2 laps. Out and back. Steepest part was running over the bridge that’s just outside the park entrance. Run was hot in July with marginal shade. But looks like you’ll be good for that. Seems like a fast course
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the Facebook page for the race i posted my observations from riding.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you send me the link. Couldn’t find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Group from Perfect Fit cycles.Perfect Fit Cycling - Dai Roberts Group, Virginia Beach, VA. I believe went to preview the venue the last week or so. You can email Dai, the owner, and I am sure he can give you his thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my write up

My Garmin recorded 56.8, I started it about on top of the bridge I turned around once to track down a friend
Elevation Gain 1332
HWY 5 smooth
After the turn on to Courthouse there is a nice short hill
Mile 17-18 a couple good rollers, pick up your pace on the downhill and it won’t be a hard climb
Fast downhill after Sturgeon Pond Road
At the bridge there is a rough patch stay left
Train tracks just before the turn onto BLVD, REV3/Challenge had ramps
60 lots of up and down, asphalt turns to concrete in 8-20-foot slabs
There is about a mile of Cork Seal but very smooth
Little Creek Dam road is very rough, there will be lots of complaining, if you have BTA Bottle secure it
Cranston Mill Pond steep downhill Quarter Mile hard uphill I soft peddled at 30 going downhill, Hammered at 11 going uphill
Ups and downs on Jolly Pond some ups and downs, there is a section that is not maintained by the state and a rough patch. When REV3 used this route, bottles got launched here
The rest of the course is unremarkable

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will it be wetsuit legal? Can they know current this far out?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most likely yes to wetsuit legal.

They know the current because it's close enough to the ocean/bay that, that area is still affected by the tides. So they can time it roughly for when it's most helpful, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any idea on the water temp range in 2 weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine swam there Saturday morning she said she wore her wetsuit and that the water was great, choppy (strong storm came through here Friday, lots of wind Saturday) but great

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious why IM moved the race to May from July when Rev3 ran it. The heat maybe? or maybe July was too close to eaglemen
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Virginia [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
July was a pretty terrible time of year to do a half imo. I said that about 70.3 Raleigh. 1st week of June was dumb af to have that race. I wouldn't let any of my athletes do it but 2, and we live and train here in Raleigh. Summer in the south is just terrible for LC races.

If Raleigh 70.3 had the same time line as this event, it wouldn't have went away I can all but just about gurantee that. But politics between IM and the city caused it to end the way it did....too bad for the athletes, Raleigh 70.3 was one of the more "legit" and fair races out there.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
July was a pretty terrible time of year to do a half imo. I said that about 70.3 Raleigh. 1st week of June was dumb af to have that race. I wouldn't let any of my athletes do it but 2, and we live and train here in Raleigh. Summer in the south is just terrible for LC races.

If Raleigh 70.3 had the same time line as this event, it wouldn't have went away I can all but just about gurantee that. But politics between IM and the city caused it to end the way it did....too bad for the athletes, Raleigh 70.3 was one of the more "legit" and fair races out there.

oh yeah. summer in the south is not pleasant. It's probably what turned me into a morning person. Especially when I lived in florida and I would be ready to go as soon as there was some semblance of light otherwise I knew I was going to roast. Fortunately, I've acclimated to the heat. I don't like it but I can mostly tolerate it. I did rev3 williamsburg 2017 and remember the run being a bit warm but not terrible for July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://tides.willyweather.com/va/james-city/chickahominy-river--gordon-creek-entrance.html

i guess this means there will be a little bit of a helping tide??
Quote Reply