Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder 70.3: cool destination race or nah?
Quote | Reply
Trying to fit another 70.3 in my season and Boulder 70.3 might fit. Would require air travel, which I’m fine with, if it’s a cool race. Don’t know much about the area (other than altitude). Cool race worth traveling for?
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3: cool destination race or nah? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from Michigan, I enjoyed it.

The locals can tell you a lot more about what to do while you are there.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved out to Fort Collins at the start of July and decided to hop into the race because it was so close and easy for me to get to. It's pretty rare to have a 70.3 with a world class field that you can sleep in your own bed the night before.

I would say it is a well run race with a solid venue. The Boulder Res has races throughout the summer so they know how to put on a race. The swim is nothing special, sun can be an issue but it wasn't a problem that I remember. The bike course is pretty fast considering there is ~2k (maybe a bit less) elevation gain. 119 gets a bit crowded later on in the race but since it is a rolling start you should be riding with people more or less around your ability level. The run is BRUTAL. The run is probably 80% on dirt so don't underestimate the toll that'll take on your legs. This past year it was also stupid hot and there is essentially zero shade on the run course. Course support is great though.

Out of all the 70.3 venues I have raced at (Syracuse, Tremblant, Austin, Chattanooga, and Atlantic City) I would say this is pretty middle of the road as far as it being a "cool destination". Chatty and Tremblant were definitely at the top (those were also World Champs so that may have something to do with it). I'd give it a shot if it works into your schedule though. Flying into DIA and getting to Boulder is extremely straight forward. Try and find an Airbnb somewhere north of Boulder I would say - much cheaper and you aren't missing out on anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my view, I would do it as a B or even better, C race because the most enjoyment one could get from the surrounding area is being outdoors.

I am still considering doing it as a relay with some friends so that i can go out and hike and drink beer before & after the race.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3: cool destination race or nah? [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also don’t underestimate the sun out here. I don’t care if it’s only 50 out, if the sun is out it’ll feel significantly warmer than you’d expect and what you get at sea level. It’s way easier to get burned out here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know any specific area of town that’s good for walking to eat/drink without driving everywhere (like Chattanooga downtown). Doesn’t look like you can stay super close to the actual race venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
You know any specific area of town that’s good for walking to eat/drink without driving everywhere (like Chattanooga downtown). Doesn’t look like you can stay super close to the actual race venue.

Longmont is probably your best bet for a cheaper town nearby. They have a nice little downtown area with tons of restaurants and breweries (https://www.downtownlongmont.com/dine-and-shop/dining).

IMO Boulder is overrated (as a town/city). Don't get me wrong, there are tons of great things there like the trail system and restaurants/breweries but it is just so damn crowded. Staying a bit outside of town for the weekend would be best. If you want to hit up the OSMP area you would probably drive to the trailhead anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3: cool destination race or nah? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
In my view, I would do it as a B or even better, C race because the most enjoyment one could get from the surrounding area is being outdoors.

I am still considering doing it as a relay with some friends so that i can go out and hike and drink beer before & after the race.

They relay is fun but bring lots of food and water if you are hanging out. It gets really hot and at least in past years there have been pretty limited services at the res while the race is going on.

I have never done the full race as I don’t road bike but get roped into swimming a relay with friends every few years. It’s a lot easier to stay in Gunbarrel which now has a bunch of restaurants and a bike underpass straight to the res pretty much. Longmont is probably next best bet unless you really want to be in Boulder.

It’s always fun the energy the race brings. Last year I ran into two guys from Iowa who told me it was such an amazing place to be while they were out for a trail run before.

If you’re not set on an Ironman brand without limits has the harvest moon in Sept that’s the same distance. The weather is usually better and they have nicer shirts and better food for half the price IMO- but you can’t get the tattoo after.
Quote Reply