Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know why the decision to go visor-less...is it not considered (or wind tunnel tested) to be less aero than with a visor? Perhaps the cooling effects of no visor counters any aero advantage?
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike.A wrote:
Does anyone know why the decision to go visor-less...is it not considered (or wind tunnel tested) to be less aero than with a visor? Perhaps the cooling effects of no visor counters any aero advantage?

Visor tested slower for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
we have 1 guy, former triathlete, who i know, who may take a crack at the hour.

Did he used to go by the name rappster on this very forum????
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

no.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

no.
What about Rappstar?
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Tony Rominger smashed the hour record two times in the 1994, as a track novice,
Yes, I mentioned Rominger earlier after being reminded of the Indurain exception, which was achieved via brute force.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Slowman wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

no.

What about Rappstar?
well, that would finally grant you a qualified answer! but i must tell you that i'm in regular communication with several people, all of whom participate on this forum, all of whom are definitely or possibly taking a crack at this, in aguascalientes. to the point where i'm seriously considering renting the darned place for a week, bringing down my own DCOs and officials, and timers, and making a slowtwitch party of out it. as to who these folks are, i'll let them into themselves and their plans to you if and when there are plans to announce.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:
Slowman wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

no.

What about Rappstar?

well, that would finally grant you a qualified answer! but i must tell you that i'm in regular communication with several people, all of whom participate on this forum, all of whom are definitely or possibly taking a crack at this, in aguascalientes. to the point where i'm seriously considering renting the darned place for a week, bringing down my own DCOs and officials, and timers, and making a slowtwitch party of out it. as to who these folks are, i'll let them into themselves and their plans to you if and when there are plans to announce.

Yes! That and buy the wind tunnel for unlimited wind tunnel testing!

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike.A wrote:

A good article on his tech here for all the aero and training geeks:
https://road.cc/...penaerts-hour-record
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Mike.A wrote:

A good article on his tech here for all the aero and training geeks:
https://road.cc/...penaerts-hour-record

Fantastic article, thank you. His beard stubble that seems to be in all pictures wasn't mentioned. Everything else seems to be shaved. Is beard stubble good on a bike?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
There it is........oh man.........breaking 55km. Is this a breaking 2 type moment for cycling? There is no equivalent for the marathon breaking 2, but still.

I think all the TT folks in ST need to go out soon and attempt a personal hour workout. Just for fun. In honor of his accomplishment.

Tony Rominger did 55.291 kms in Bordeaux back in '94 on a steel framed Colnago. (he may have had a little bit of pharmaceutical help with that, but still....)

More than a little bit: https://www.53x12.com/rominger-s-hour

In addition to the help from the doc these items are interesting:

On Sunday we were all back in Bordeaux to run tests of the new technical elements: longer crank arms (175 mm) and a harder ratio (60x14; 9.02 meters). Tony flew. On Wednesday, November 2nd he covered 25 km from a standing start at an average of 54.622 km/h, without really giving his ‘all’. His lactic acid at the end of the trial was 2.6 mM/l; his average pulse rate: 171 beats/minute.
Quote Reply
Re: Campenaerts Hour Record Live at 9a.m. PT (4/16) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jordano wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
There it is........oh man.........breaking 55km. Is this a breaking 2 type moment for cycling? There is no equivalent for the marathon breaking 2, but still.

I think all the TT folks in ST need to go out soon and attempt a personal hour workout. Just for fun. In honor of his accomplishment.

Tony Rominger did 55.291 kms in Bordeaux back in '94 on a steel framed Colnago. (he may have had a little bit of pharmaceutical help with that, but still....)

More than a little bit: https://www.53x12.com/rominger-s-hour

In addition to the help from the doc these items are interesting:

On Sunday we were all back in Bordeaux to run tests of the new technical elements: longer crank arms (175 mm) and a harder ratio (60x14; 9.02 meters). Tony flew. On Wednesday, November 2nd he covered 25 km from a standing start at an average of 54.622 km/h, without really giving his ‘all’. His lactic acid at the end of the trial was 2.6 mM/l; his average pulse rate: 171 beats/minute.

This stuff is also interesting:

In fact, it was calculted (4;6) that Rominger’s corporal surface exposed to air drag was about 13% less than Indurain’s.

The difference in efficiency (aerodynamic and other) was far higher. At 53.04 km/h, Indurain developed 509.5 Watts, while at the same speed Rominger put out 413 Watts—a difference of 23%.

It is also important to note that the rider’s track speed is anything but constant, presenting continued accelerations and decelerations corresponding to curves and straight-aways (5). There is even a significant variation in average speed per lap (6).

A heavy rider pays dearly for these accelerations—far more than a light-weight.

Finally, at these speeds the one-hour record, with the 442 curves Tony had to negotiate, became a kind of a ride through a ‘centrifuge’. Carrying 15 kg in weight and 13 cm in height more than his rival, Indurain clearly suffered more from the centrifugal force in the curves. This would have been due to the increased rolling friction (which is directly proportional to weight, and through the curves at these speeds the combined weight of bike plus rider virtually doubles), as well as to a more difficult vein blood return from the legs to the heart due to Indurain’s greater height.

Quote Reply

Prev Next