Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me figure out my saddle issues
Quote | Reply
Been mainly riding my gravel bike for two years now and trying to figure out the saddle before my first 100 miler in a month. Current bike is a motobecane phantom outlaw. My riding history isn't steller, few times a week maybe 1-2 hours tops. I have done one ride in the past year that was over 2 hours.

Saddle that came on it was a no-name basic saddle with a bit of a curve in the center. Hurt sit bones/inner glutes hurt after 50 miles or so.

-Tried out the Fizik Areone fit well or so I thought till I did a long ride and I had pain afterwards for 48 hours in my soft area
-Next tried a Fizik Antares, initial ride didn't go well, nose kept brushing up against my thighs, I knew chafing would be a concern but this was the first time I felt my sit bones actually sit on top of the saddle.
-Currently borrowing an older bontrager race lite saddle. After a few 1 hour rides sit bones hurt but no pain in the soft area, I'm going to try some chamos cream to see if that might help. Pain in sit bones is gone after I'm done riding.

I have been playing around with the angle and moving the saddles. At this point I'm thinking I just do my long ride tomorrow with the bontrager see how it goes, if it fails than I might end up going back to the no-name saddle.

So my questions are what are my next steps? Do I need to HTFU a bit on the sit-bones? Do I try a saddle with a cut out? Am I giving these saddles enough time (2-4 rides)?
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Apr 19, 19 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out my saddle issues [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to you local Specialized sport. Sit on the Ass-o-meter. Add 5-7 mm to the width. This gets you to a width appropriate to support you sitz bones. Select a saddle with the amount of padding that feels right. Pick one with a cut out if you prefer. Same for shape (flat or rounded).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out my saddle issues [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda did the self ass-o-meter measurement myself at home with a cardboard box. I was pretty darn narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://www.njdsportsinjuries.co.uk/...ng/cycling-injuries/

Keep trying. Once I found the right position on the saddle, it was huge. By the way, I use a Cobb saddle.

Could not imagine not using a chamois cream. Actually I put the cream on me so I get it right on the sit bones and where ever else it rubs me wrong. This is what I use - super duper strength and I can find it at non bike store places.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Been mainly riding my gravel bike for two years now and trying to figure out the saddle before my first 100 miler in a month. Current bike is a motobecane phantom outlaw. My riding history isn't steller, few times a week maybe 1-2 hours tops. I have done one ride in the past year that was over 2 hours.

Saddle that came on it was a no-name basic saddle with a bit of a curve in the center. Hurt sit bones/inner glutes hurt after 50 miles or so.

-Tried out the Fizik Areone fit well or so I thought till I did a long ride and I had pain afterwards for 48 hours in my soft area
-Next tried a Fizik Antares, initial ride didn't go well, nose kept brushing up against my thighs, I knew chafing would be a concern but this was the first time I felt my sit bones actually sit on top of the saddle.
-Currently borrowing an older bontrager race lite saddle. After a few 1 hour rides sit bones hurt but no pain in the soft area, I'm going to try some chamos cream to see if that might help. Pain in sit bones is gone after I'm done riding.

I have been playing around with the angle and moving the saddles. At this point I'm thinking I just do my long ride tomorrow with the bontrager see how it goes, if it fails than I might end up going back to the no-name saddle.

So my questions are what are my next steps? Do I need to HTFU a bit on the sit-bones? Do I try a saddle with a cut out? Am I giving these saddles enough time (2-4 rides)?

Go to YouTube and search for the channel called 'Bike Fit Adviser'. Tons of great info on fit, saddle issues, finding the right saddle, etc.

Good luck with your 100 miler.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me figure out my saddle issues [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Go to you local Specialized sport. Sit on the Ass-o-meter. Add 5-7 mm to the width. This gets you to a width appropriate to support you sitz bones. Select a saddle with the amount of padding that feels right. Pick one with a cut out if you prefer. Same for shape (flat or rounded).

Ended up sitting on the ass-o-meter. Apparently I completely measured my ass wrong. Currently sitting on a 143mm Specialized Power Arc Pro. So far its the best saddle. My rear is a little bit sore after a 4 hour ride but I assume that has to be normal. No pain or numbness in the soft area which is good.

My only major complaint so far with this saddle....$150 for a freaking saddle!
Quote Reply