Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Woke up with lower hamstring strain??
Quote | Reply
This AM I woke up and got out of bed and I almost collapsed since I had a sharp pain in the lower hamstring. I limped my way through the AM and it seems to be getting better but still sore and going downstairs hurts. I was fine yesterday so not sure why I woke up with this! I did notice that my glute/hip was tight running yesterday so maybe put a lot strain in the lower hamstring?
What is the best way to treat this? And how long off from running?
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up with lower hamstring strain?? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a test, use your good leg to act as some resistance as your bring the sore hamstring back to the buttocks.

If that feels "good" in a good way, then do that to coax along the hamstring. Sounds like you might have a muscle imbalance.

I'm not a PT or anything... I would not use pain killers to mask what's going on there until it did clear up or until you get a medical diagnosis. Don't be sitting on it, etc.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Woke up with lower hamstring strain?? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't do anything for 24-48 hours. Just rest...walk easy. See how it feels as the weekend progresses. If its getting better, then play it by ear until it feels good enough to maybe try some easy biking. If it isn't getting better or you have bruising in your leg in the area where it hurts....then call a doctor and get it looked at. I'd guess you'll know one way or the other by Monday.

I wouldn't run until you don't feel any discomfort at all. And then I'd return to running pretty slowly, when I did start back up. That might be a week or two..assuming it doesn't require any special treatment.

I'd stay away from swimming, also....as walls especially can be pretty stressful on the hamstrings, AND can cause muscle spasms in the hamstrings when they already fatigued, overworked, or overstimulated.

ETA: don't do anything that makes it hurt. But, my personal experience is that sitting still is worse than light activity (like walking easy). Easy rythmic movements always seem more helpful than absolute rest, as long as they dont cause pain.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Apr 19, 19 13:55
Quote Reply