Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim catch and pull question
Quote | Reply
I may struggle to explain this, how I feel in the water, may not be how I look? I've been working hard on my catch and pull. I used to swim with what felt like a slight glide with a low stroke rate. As I fatigued the glide would become exaggerated and I'd slow down even more. Anyway I've been working on my high elbow and now swim with zero glide. I'm definitely catching much more water, much more powerful in the water, but it feels weird and doesn't feel like what I'm doing is what I see top swimmers doing. My arms are almost like windmills as in moving continuously and it feels like I'm making circular movements. As soon as my hand enters the water it starts the catch and pull. Doesn't feel like what I see in Grant Hackett's video, that's for sure! I'm swimming quicker which is good, but just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6qIhkuzTx0
Quote Reply
Re: swim catch and pull question [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimmers like Grant, Sun, etc are tall and have extremely good foot/ankle flexibility. So their kick is very powerful which makes it easier to maximize the perceived glide. But the truth is, they are running with a 58-60 SPM turnover and have very low dwell time. Looks can be deceiving. I'd stick with what you are doing, because you need a fast turnover to be fast. With some leg and kick work, your strokes may smooth out.

Anyway, I'm no expert so this is only my comments/opinion.
Last edited by: NealH: Apr 18, 19 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get someone to take some video of your swim, bike and run. Almost everyone realizes they aint quite the athlete they thought they were but it is instructive to see yourself in motion.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At speed, it looks like he's gliding, but if you slow it down, you see there's very little to no time gap from the moment he finishes one stroke (hand coming out the water at his hip) and the fingertips drop on the other hand, which is him setting his catch. By not starting his stroke too early, you can see he's getting several more inches of reach/stroke-length as his body rolls.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply