Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/...906440641581057?s=19

And I give you the president; why do you take notes.........
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm telling you, Trump and my brother are the same person. Plus I've never seen them in the same room together.

My brother hates that I make him communicate through text because I have a record of what he said. He always wants to be face to face and never agrees to put things in writing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on your signature line, you and trump agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that thread in Twitter is hilarious. Very entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you an anecdote that illustrates why Trump doesn't like lawyers taking notes, but real lawyers do.

I kept the habit (and format, style etc) of note taking long after leaving law.
At one point (back in about 1991) I was working in investment banking. My MD invited me to attend a client meeting. It was a little strange - not my client and not my practice area. There was protracted negotiation that I couldn't contribute to. There were some assurances sought, and declined, and argument about that. I took notes that went on the file (all hand-written - this was last century), but had nothing further to do with it. Until...

Some years later the client company sued the bank for about $340m. Counsel for the bank contacted me and asked if I could come in to discuss some evidence. I wracked my brain and told him, honestly, sorry, I'm no help. I have absolutely no recollection of what you are talking about. He asked me to help anyway so I met with him (and 3 other defence barristers). Still couldn't remember anything - I honestly thought they had mistaken another exec for me. Then he slid a copy of my notes across his desk: "Do you remember this?" - and it all came back to me.

My notes had date, location, time, attendees, issues, and X said "....." , Y said "......" quotes. Chapter and verse on the central issue of the litigation - whether my bank, my boss, had agreed to further massive funding increases conditional upon the client meeting certain criteria. He hadn't - when asked he had explicitly refused. The failure to secure funding eventually led to the collapse of the client's gold mine and the litigation. My notes, as a contemporaneous record, slam dunked the plaintiff's claimed recollections about negotiations.

Once I did the (slap the forehead), "oh, that meeting.." and confirmed that I (now) recalled taking the notes as an accurate record there were smiles all round. I wasn't required in court - the plaintiffs discontinued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to take notes, basically hand written test results, repairs made, pre-tests, doodles, etc.

Then one day I’m sitting in a deposition and the attorney asking me question puts a piece of paper in front of me, one of my hand written field notes from 6 years prior (how he got his hands on it I’ll never know) and proceeded to explain to him why the data on this note doesn’t match the data on the report o submitted (because most of the data was from a different site and some was notes taken in the process of trouble shooting). There were also doodles on it and writing that wasn’t mine. It took a full 4 hours of my life going over the contents of this single page.

I’m no longer in the habit of take notes and when I do they get destroyed as soon as I’m done with them.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I used to take notes, basically hand written test results, repairs made, pre-tests, doodles, etc.

Then one day I’m sitting in a deposition and the attorney asking me question puts a piece of paper in front of me, one of my hand written field notes from 6 years prior (how he got his hands on it I’ll never know) and proceeded to explain to him why the data on this note doesn’t match the data on the report o submitted (because most of the data was from a different site and some was notes taken in the process of trouble shooting). There were also doodles on it and writing that wasn’t mine. It took a full 4 hours of my life going over the contents of this single page.

I’m no longer in the habit of take notes and when I do they get destroyed as soon as I’m done with them.

That proves it. Trump is innocent and the fact he was surprised lawyers take notes make total sense!
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Duffy wrote:

That proves it. Trump is innocent and the fact he was surprised lawyers take notes make total sense!

You may find this a difficult concept to grasp but my post has nothing to do with Trump.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Duffy wrote:

You may find this a difficult concept to grasp but my post has nothing to do with Trump.

Of course it doesn’t. None of your countless posts on Trump topics ever have anything to do with him. After all, you care so little about this crap.
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote an anecdote about how I no longer take notes. There was no comment about Trump intended or implied.

You people seriously need to get some help.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always taken notes. Early in my career, I worked for a real estate investment company. I kept contemporaneous, detailed notes of meetings. The difference is that I kept them at my home, not in a corporate file. I was uncomfortable with some of the shenanigans the owners did. Ultimately, some things unraveled and projects went south. The regulators took over and the FBI investigated. I got sued for >$100MM involving primarily projects I was not involved with, occurred before my employment, or I had minimal roles with. They simply sued everyone, including the all of the accountants (including me), secretaries, notaries, everyone. Fishing with a net.

Ultimately, I was released form the suit. But, it had consequences. It was followed by criminal charges against the owners. They subpoenaed every document I ever had. But their "sue everyone" approach had pissed me off so I had burned all my contemporaneous notes, many of which could have answered their Qs and provided the details they needed. The jury failed to convict on the criminal charges.

Contemporaneous notes. I no longer take them on everything. Only the issues where I have a responsibility.
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
I've always taken notes. Early in my career, I worked for a real estate investment company. I kept contemporaneous, detailed notes of meetings. The difference is that I kept them at my home, not in a corporate file. I was uncomfortable with some of the shenanigans the owners did. Ultimately, some things unraveled and projects went south. The regulators took over and the FBI investigated. I got sued for >$100MM involving primarily projects I was not involved with, occurred before my employment, or I had minimal roles with. They simply sued everyone, including the all of the accountants (including me), secretaries, notaries, everyone. Fishing with a net.

Ultimately, I was released form the suit. But, it had consequences. It was followed by criminal charges against the owners. They subpoenaed every document I ever had. But their "sue everyone" approach had pissed me off so I had burned all my contemporaneous notes, many of which could have answered their Qs and provided the details they needed. The jury failed to convict on the criminal charges.

Contemporaneous notes. I no longer take them on everything. Only the issues where I have a responsibility.

Quote:

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I wrote an anecdote about how I no longer take notes.

Good story bro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love that "I never had a lawyer that took notes" line. Sure. Anyone know what they call those long, yellow, lined batches of paper found in law offices? Legal pads. Nope never heard of 'em. Jeez, if it's not too obvious tRump doesn't keep notes because in the past they have been used to show in law suits the crap he has been up to. It's the same answer for why no one keeps e-mails in the tRump organization. tRumps entire life has been a coverup for the crap he tries to pull.
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Trump has a whole host of reasons for not wanting anyone to keep notes of meetings, and none of them make him look good.

It is sad when we have a president that makes Tricky Dick look good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Or you learn to take detailed accurate notes with no speculation or subjective findings or derogatory observations -- I CYA'd several times in practice depositions by this method.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: A tip for JSA, shearer, patent attorney and any other lawyers - take some notes [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My notes had date, location, time, attendees, issues, and X said "....." , Y said "......" quotes.

Now you've done it. With that admission, you'll never get a job in the Trump administration.

There's one dream shot to hell.

Quote Reply