Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc???
Quote | Reply
Another way to get into Boston without actually running the qualifying time, or raising 7.5k for a charity slot. Wonder how many get in through this loop hole???

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...T9RXUZC27mbFVZ_qY27w
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc??? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder how many get in through this loop hole???

-----

F that loop hole. Derek at MI is doing one hell of a job of rooting out those type of "qualifiers". He's turning into one hell of an investigator.

#firstworldproblemsolver

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc??? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

-----

F that loop hole. Derek at MI is doing one hell of a job of rooting out those type of "qualifiers". He's turning into one hell of an investigator.

#firstworldproblemsolver

Getting in is one thing. Staying in, is another

Everyone knows Mike Rossi cheated at a course in Allentown with no timing mats to get into Boston, but BAA still hasn't DQ'd him. Now that it's been 4 years, his DQ doesn't seem likely, but the elevated scrutiny by Derek, and shaming by those who have been caught, has kinda put it back in BAAs hands to scrub those qualifiers a little better

Example: All those people who qualify at Disney, even though the multiple out & backs [with no intermediate Rossi Mats] are prime spots for course cutters

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc??? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Example: All those people who qualify at Disney, even though the multiple out & backs [with no intermediate Rossi Mats] are prime spots for course cutters

-----

I mean I guess they could add BQ time + specific timing mat requirements for any race that wants to be a BQ qualifier event. But to me, this is a lot like AG doping. I'm guessing BAA doesn't really give a shit or atleast doesn't want to add so many specific qualification standards to get runners in their race. They likely are much happier "not knowing" then trying to scrub every single qualifier.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc??? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

-----

#firstworldproblemsolver

Getting in is one thing. Staying in, is another

Everyone knows Mike Rossi cheated at a course in Allentown with no timing mats to get into Boston, but BAA still hasn't DQ'd him. Now that it's been 4 years, his DQ doesn't seem likely, but the elevated scrutiny by Derek, and shaming by those who have been caught, has kinda put it back in BAAs hands to scrub those qualifiers a little better

^^^This. The last year that I ran Disney, two guys who were standing next to me in the starting corral were openly talking about cutting the out-and-back around Mike 21 at Wide World of Sports. There was a timing mat in that spot so it would have caught that, but still pissed me off that these guys were chatting about it like it was no big deal.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc??? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to paraphrase a line from Mr Empfield's article on handlebars:

If you really want to qualify for Boston, shamelessness helps.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of getting into Boston, qualifying, charity slots, etc??? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

-----

I mean I guess they could add BQ time + specific timing mat requirements for any race that wants to be a BQ qualifier event. But to me, this is a lot like AG doping. I'm guessing BAA doesn't really give a shit or atleast doesn't want to add so many specific qualification standards to get runners in their race. They likely are much happier "not knowing" then trying to scrub every single qualifier.

Personally, I would love for BAA to flat-out say "We don't accept Disney times as BQs, under any circumstances"

Then people would have to decide which is more important to them: Boston or something like a Dopey/Goofy Challenge?

Granted, a person could do both, but I think most Disney-philes would pass on Boston; and someone looking for a legit BQ, would find another race elsewhere

I could be wrong

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That works but just Disney? Or does BAA have to check every "certified course" for the legitimacy of the course and/or timing mats?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any course Derek deems as "suspect"

Quote Reply