Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adidas Ultra Boost lower leg issues
Quote | Reply
Three of my workmates and I have all had lower leg issues (Plantar Fasciitis, calf issues etc) whilst training for and competing in full IM events. We have all be running in Ultra Boost. Anyone else experienced similar issues? I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the gap at the back of the plastic heel cup? We all switched to Ultra Boost as they are really comfortable. Just trying to bottom this one out.
Appreciate any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Adidas Ultra Boost lower leg issues [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What gap are you talking about exactly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no lower leg issues doing all my long runs in the Ultra Boost ST. But I did rotate them with some Pegasus and Supernova Glide's for mid week runs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not used the ultra boost, but if it is one of the class of highly cushioned shoes (like the hoka et al.), then you might want to be aware that recent biomechanics research indicated that these highly cushioned shoes actually increase impact forces on the lower leg during running. No kidding.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Adidas Ultra Boost lower leg issues [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the ‘gap’ I am talking about. Hopefully the photo will upload. Essentially it’s a ‘U’ shaped cutout at the very rear of the heel cup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This gap is common on many Adidas shoes. The Solar Glide/solar Glide ST, Solar Boost etc.

The Ultra boost is a very, very plush shoe. IMO it's probably the plushest shoe in the market.

It's not the back of the shoe. You all probably need a less plush shoe and/or different shoe

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Have not used the ultra boost, but if it is one of the class of highly cushioned shoes (like the hoka et al.), then you might want to be aware that recent biomechanics research indicated that these highly cushioned shoes actually increase impact forces on the lower leg during running. No kidding.

Can you provide a link to said research?
Quote Reply
Re: Adidas Ultra Boost lower leg issues [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Can you provide a link to said research?

There are multiple citations on the interwebs, but here is one:

https://www.nature.com/...s/s41598-018-35980-6

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
might want to be aware that recent biomechanics research indicated that these highly cushioned shoes actually increase impact forces on the lower leg during running. No kidding.

The same can be said for minimalist shoes as well. Willy, Richard W.; Davis, Irene S. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: 19 July 2013

Also an increase for injury if you subscribe to the school of thought that impact forces cause injury.

ETA: The OP should go to a knowledgeable local running shop and try on multiple pair of shoes. Run up & down the sidewalk in front of the store. Buy the pair(s) that feel the best/ are the most comfortable to run in.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 17, 19 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Adidas Ultra Boost lower leg issues [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right.

But less so for middle-of-the-road shoes ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Run up & down the sidewalk in front of the store. Buy the pair(s) that feel the best/ are the most comfortable to run in.

I think that one of the interesting implications of this research is that the shoe that "feels" best to a person when going 'up and down the sidewalk' is not necessarily the best for your legs when running longer term. For speed or for injury prevention.

Heck, who wouldn't want to run on giant comfy pillows? Because initially they "feel" awesome. But run 3, 6, 10, or 26 miles on them, and the pillows negate some of the essential elastic functioning of your legs. Which results in greater impact forces.

So I think that the 'sidewalk test' may not be the best way to go here.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 17, 19 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That study must be old (report date is not old) as they are using the Brooks Ghost 6 which is like 5 years old, I assume the Hoka Conquest is about that old as well (they don't even make that shoe anymore). Also, they used shoes with fairly significant difference in drop, why wouldn't they use shoes with the same drop and eliminate a variable? Or use shoes with the same midsole material (same brand)? I'm not convinced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Run up & down the sidewalk in front of the store. Buy the pair(s) that feel the best/ are the most comfortable to run in.

I think that one of the interesting implications of this research is that the shoe that "feels" best to a person when going 'up and down the sidewalk' is not necessarily the best for your legs when running longer term. For speed or for injury prevention.............But run 3, 6, 10, or 26 miles on them, and the pillows negate some of the essential elastic functioning of your legs. Which results in greater impact forces.

So I think that the 'sidewalk test' may not be the best way to go here.

In all seriousness, if you've got a better solution for finding the best shoes for oneself I'm all ears.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
In all seriousness, if you've got a better solution for finding the best shoes for oneself I'm all ears.

Yup, it's a great question, not sure if I have the best answer. The research above does seem to create doubt as to whether the 'cushiest' or softest shoes are actually the best for speed or for injury prevention. But hopefully there will be more answers in the future.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Yup, it's a great question, not sure if I have the best answer. The research above does seem to create doubt as to whether the 'cushiest' or softest shoes are actually the best for speed or for injury prevention. But hopefully there will be more answers in the future.

It seems to me that there won't be a single best shoe for injury prevention.

Anecdotally you can find people who swear barefoot shoes solved their injury problems and you can find the same for max cushioned shoes. Isn't the easiest way to interpret that to say different types of shoes work for different people. Max shoes work for me - rubbish Achilles, bullet proof knees. Barefoot shoes would be my kryptonite but for people with knee problems and healthy Achilles/Calf muscles they are much more likely to help - IMHO.

I don't see increased impact force to necessarily be a red flag. Across the spectrum of barefoot to max shoes the impact force may increase. But, it seems to me, that is because the nature of the stride is changing. The implication of some of this thread seems to be that a running shoe could be rated to it's injury prevention properties. I think that is far to simple an idea given the complexities of running and the people who do it. If there was one shoe for everyone I think we'd of found it by now. The trouble is identifying what an individual needs and wading through 'data' from shoe companies who want all their shoes to sound like panaceas in marketing material.

BTW is it just me or if you look at the data isn't an Ultra Boost closer to Brooks Ghost in the study than the Hoka Conquest?
Quote Reply
Re: Adidas Ultra Boost lower leg issues [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
BTW is it just me or if you look at the data isn't an Ultra Boost closer to Brooks Ghost in the study than the Hoka Conquest?

I'd say the ultra boost is more like a ghost 11 vs a hoka conquest. Really though to my feet there isn't a shoe as plush as an ultra boost. I'm pretty sure my feet had a some sort of foot moment that they've never had before or since since running a few steps in an ultra boost.
To bad we & Adidas were out of stock in my size when I tried on a pair 2 sizes to larger. My feet still tingle, in a very good way, thinking about the ultra boost

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 17, 19 20:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
OddSlug wrote:

I'd say the ultra boost is more like a ghost 11 vs a hoka conquest. Really though to my feet there isn't a shoe as plush as an ultra boost. I'm pretty sure my feet had a some sort of foot moment that they've never had before or since since running a few steps in an ultra boost.
To bad we & Adidas were out of stock in my size when I tried on a pair 2 sizes to larger. My feet still tingle, in a very good way, thinking about the ultra boost

I've got both the Brooks Ghost 10 or 11 and the Boost shoes.

Brooks are an absolute dream to run in. I have to use my Merrell flats just to get back to feeling the road and some pain!

Addias I bought for great reason - the color. But I don't like running in them. They feel steep - like a bigger drop and hmm what can I say? I have to try them out again, they are like new - very little usage in 2 years.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I’ve been using the energy boost line for five years, virtually injury free. In fear of them discontinuing it I bought four pair last year. I’m about to be done with the last pair, 400 miles each.
It’s been so long since I even thought about a different pair shoes I’m not sure what to do. Desert Dude’s suggestion is the worst method possible except for every other one😭.
Maybe the Peg or Ultraboost.
Quote Reply