Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computer to Replace PT Joule GPS
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang:
My Powertap Joule GPS computer is getting to the point where I WANT to replace it. It works fine, but I wanna buy something that I do not have to plug into a computer to download.
Initially the plan was Joule ANT GPS, but Powertap got out of the computer business sometime in the last couple of years.
Which I guess we know why now.

So what do I replace it with?
I am a Powertap Hub guy 3 wheels 2 bikes.
I am a Garmin 920xt guy for swim and run. I like the Garmin Connect setup.
I mostly review cycling data in Training Peaks, as the Power Agent has been difficult at best for the last few years.
The thing I loved about the Joule GPS was it just worked. I turn it on and it worked well with my Powertap Hubs.

I am not replacing my hubs anytime soon hopefully or going to a different system (pedals, crank etc.)

So what are you folks using? Is Garmin the default?

Thanks,
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Computer to Replace PT Joule GPS [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran through this about 12-14mo ago. Ultimately I decided I'm not getting rid of my PT wheels and the Joule GPS was fine. Plugging it in to download isn't that big of a deal. There was nothing that was superior since I don't do training peaks, strava or anything else like that

Ultimately I added the money I'd have used on a garmin or whatever to my brokerage account and bought O at <$50. Looking back I'm pretty happy with that decision.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 15, 19 21:07
Quote Reply
Re: Computer to Replace PT Joule GPS [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,
you are a buzzkill......

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Joule GPS is lying in the roadside somewhere along route 66 near Lyons. CO. Was very happy with it until it deserted me in a TT and evaded my searches.

Replaced it with a Wahoo Bolt and it's far better. I've gone through a couple of garmins and swore never to buy anything from that company again.

Lezyne Super GPS was my other choice, it has a long battery life and is good value.

Only negative thing about Bolt is that its mapping and direction functions aren't as good as some competitors. Haven't tested that out yet but will soon when I start on some gravel rides.

The thing I loved about the powertap computers is that they recorded everything. Never had to worry about forgetting to hit start or end.

edit: YOu can also fit a bolt into both Garmin edge and Joule mounts. I recommend buying a tether for peace of mind.
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Apr 15, 19 22:47
Quote Reply
Re: Computer to Replace PT Joule GPS [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I ran through this about 12-14mo ago. Ultimately I decided I'm not getting rid of my PT wheels and the Joule GPS was fine. Plugging it in to download isn't that big of a deal. There was nothing that was superior since I don't do training peaks, strava or anything else like that

Ultimately I added the money I'd have used on a garmin or whatever to my brokerage account and bought O at <$50. Looking back I'm pretty happy with that decision.

That's interesting. I went through this about 6 months ago and I, too, decided to hold onto my Joule GPS for a while longer. I'd switch if I had an aero sensor that it wouldn't talk to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already own the answer. Ride with the Joule out front as your live-time data display, but use the 920XT to record and upload the data. Or get the QR kit, and use the 920XT alone.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply