Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rapperswil 70.3: Helmet and gearing picks
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm registered for Rapperswil 70.3 early June. The bike course is known to be hilly (+1,100m / +3,600ft) but based on past race reports, I've decided to ride my Canyon Speedmax rather than my road bike. I'm however struggling to pick the best helmet and gearing for the race.

On the helmet, I'm currently using a Kask Mojito which is obviously far from aero. I've been considering the purchase of a TT helmet (currently debating between Oakley Aro 7 and Giro Aerohead) but am worried that those will become too hot on the climbs. Is the additional aero factor worth the momentarily grilling when going up?

Secondly, the Speedmax currently runs on a 11-28 in the back and the standard front that it came with (I believe 52/36). I've been riding in the UK and while a extra gear would be nice on some of the steeper segments, it's gone alright so far. The Rapperswil course however has portions at 10%+. For the people who have raced the course before, what was your set up?

Thanks in advance!
B
Quote Reply
Re: Rapperswil 70.3: Helmet and gearing picks [Bertrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The safe bet helmet wise would be an aero road helmet with known good ventilation. Something like the Scott cadence, bontrager ballista, or spec evade. All of those would be a bit faster (not as fast as an areohead) and plenty cool.

Depending on your strength I would guess your gearing is fine but you could always toss an 11-30 or even an 11-32 on there for the bailout gear. More harm in not having it than not having it and needing it.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Rapperswil 70.3: Helmet and gearing picks [Bertrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bike course doesn't have anything long enough or steep enough to not be in full aero set-up for the race. There are some hard sections, but no reason not to be in aero helmet. I raced in last year with an s-works tt helmet so no venting and on a hot day, on Speedmax with a 53-38 and 11-28. the main thing to be careful of on this bike course is the main descent back on to the rolling out and back portion of the course. a lot of this descent is tree covered and even when there'd been several days of sunshine prior to the race, still damp and greasy in places, and can be very busy on that course as it's 2 laps.
Quote Reply